ML Vantage in a small room + amp requirements

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Toffen

Hi!

I trust you all are well.

I am looking for new speakers after some years of absense from the hi fi scene. I started this hobby back in 1974, but has been occuppied with boat racing since 1999/2000. More expensive than stereo, thats for sure! However, I upgraded my stereo again some few months back, and it has been great fun!

At this moment I have Burmester new integrated amp model 051, T+A 1245R cd player (will upgrade to the excellent T+A D10) and the norwegian speakers Dynabel Euforia.

I did have Quad ELS 63 with Gradient Sub speakers back in the 90-ties, so I can not forget the electrostatic sound!

I consider to buy a new set of ML Vantage, and have a few questions that I hope you could help me with:

1. Is the Burmester 051 integrated amplifire strong enough? It is 170W at 4 ohm / 450 VoltAmp trafo / 70.000 microfahrad. Great sound, much alike the Burmester 032 - its more costly brother.

2. I have a small listening room. Approx. 15 sq meter large. The height to the roof is approx 2 meters. Width is 4,3 meters. Depth is approx. 3,3 meters.

Have a great time.

Cheeers,

Toffen
Lillesand
Norway :)

The Burmester is a fine amplifier base on its reputation. I have not heard any of the Burmester amplifiers but I have heard lots of good things about their products. On the power front, the Vantage with its internal bass amplifiers should be a very easy load for the Burmester.

Spike

I'm sure you're Burmester will work fine with the Vantages especially in a small room.

What kind of boat racing do you do?

amp for vantage

I am driving the panels on my Vantages with a McIntosh MC252 and it works great.
But be aware of one thing, when I play loud the wattmeters are peaking close to 500 watts, so those panels do crave a lot of power.
And also you need an amp that are comfortable with low impedances.

the McIntosh has outputs for 8, 4 and 2 ohms.

First I used the 4 ohm tap, but the powerguard system did warn for clipping when I played loud. So now I use the 2 ohm tap and it works perfect, no sign of clipping at all.

So my reccomendation is a no brainer, McIntosh MC252 :)
Seems like a perfect match to me!

Craig said:
What kind of boat racing do you do?

There's only one kind of boat to race in Norway. (Just kidding)

Attachments

• viking1.jpg
    viking1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 310
I agree the integrated amp would work fine, but why waste the money on Vantage's for such a small room, you will never do them or yourself justice. put the money into bigger, better listening enviroment.

Back