ML Summit.....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audio Pharaoh

Reaction score
Hi !

Does anyone here know if the Summits can be odered without the built-in woofer amp ?

TIA :)

AP

Audio Pharaoh said:
Hi !

Does anyone here know if the Summits can be odered without the built-in woofer amp ?

TIA :)

AP

NO, they only come with the built in 200 watt mono block amps.

Sorry.

Zip3kx07 said:
NO, they only come with the built in 200 watt mono block amps.

Sorry.

Thanks Joe !...Do you know if the woofer amp(s) can be by-passed so I can use my main amp to drive the panel & the woofers together ?

I'm a very satisfied ML Ascent user but the Summits have me intrigued thus far. Thought maybe without the built-in amps the price can be more affordable :D

Cheers :)

AP

Audio Pharaoh said:
Thanks Joe !...Do you know if the woofer amp(s) can be by-passed so I can use my main amp to drive the panel & the woofers together ?

I'm a very satisfied ML Ascent user but the Summits have me intrigued thus far. Thought maybe without the built-in amps the price can be more affordable :D

AP

I don’t think there is any way to bypass the amps, other then maybe internally moding the speaker and bypassing it.

After hearing the Summits I don’t know why anyone would want to? The integration between the woofers and panel are seamless, you may think the ascent is very good in this area, but after hearing the summit I think you will agree it’s damn near perfect. I think most of that seamless performance has to do with the mono amps.

But I could be wrong, all I know is what Martin Logan did with the summit works and had taken the summit a few steps closer to perfection, changing the summit from what it is could undo that.

I personally love the Summit’s just the way they are. :D

Interesting ...... I posted a similar question a few weeks ago because I would be concerned by different amps driving different parts of my system - different timbre, etc. I've not yet heard the Summit though so I say this conservatively!

Geez, I think Gayle Sanders may know more than you guys regarding blending his built-in amp with the amp on the panel. :rolleyes: Its a bass amp and very well executed by all reports. If you hear a discontinuity, you are using a colored amp on the panels and need to replace it.

Pharaoh...

Same Audio Pharaoh from AA with the Plinius Amps? If so, glad to see you over here.

Dan

Hi Dan..!

Yes, the one and only Pharaoh..lol.. :D Glad to see you too..how are things going ? :)

AP

Zip3kx07 said:
I don’t think there is any way to bypass the amps, other then maybe internally moding the speaker and bypassing it.

After hearing the Summits I don’t know why anyone would want to? The integration between the woofers and panel are seamless, you may think the ascent is very good in this area, but after hearing the summit I think you will agree it’s damn near perfect. I think most of that seamless performance has to do with the mono amps.

But I could be wrong, all I know is what Martin Logan did with the summit works and had taken the summit a few steps closer to perfection, changing the summit from what it is could undo that.

I personally love the Summit’s just the way they are. :D

Thanks Joe.. well I do have similar fears as those of 'amey01' below..But, I also haven't heard them yet so it's too early to judge. I will be listening to a pair next month when the shipment arrives to the ML dealer here at my end.

AP

DTB300 said:
Still loving my Plinius Amp.

Dan

Glad that you still do Dan..:) The Logans and Plinius amps are really GREAT together. Waiting for an SA-REF/M-8/CD-101 within the next couple of weeks, I really hope they won't be overkill with my Ascents !!

FWIW, i've been also experimenting these days with Siltech IC's and the results are fantastic too. I'm now using the generic power cords in all items (haven't yet found an aftermarket PC that would do more good than harm..lol)but using Acoustic Zen Hologram II's speaker cables and Siltech IC's...Will be trying the Siltech SPX-20 power cords sometime next month. I hear they are really 'neutral' and unobtrusive...we'll see ;)

All the best

AP

Audio Pharaoh said:
Glad that you still do Dan..:) The Logans and Plinius amps are really GREAT together. Waiting for an SA-REF/M-8/CD-101 within the next couple of weeks, I really hope they won't be overkill with my Ascents !!

Overkill? No such thing in audio :eek: :rolleyes:

A SA-REF huh? Very cool... Isn't that the sucessor to the 250?

FWIW, i've been also experimenting these days with Siltech IC's and the results are fantastic too.

I recently went through a bunch if IC auditioning and have settled for Audioquest King Cobra's. They give me a sound I like for a cost that I also like. If you read through some of the threads here, you will see a bunch of disucssions on these. I also want to try out some Harmonic Tech & Tara Labs one of these days, but money is very tight at the moment, so no auditioning for now.

Audio Pharaoh said:
Thanks Joe.. well I do have similar fears as those of 'amey01' below..But, I also haven't heard them yet so it's too early to judge. I will be listening to a pair next month when the shipment arrives to the ML dealer here at my end.

AP

I too was skeptical about having mono amp's in my speakers but after hearing them in person, Now all I got to do is find ten grand. :confused: :D

Yep, the SA-REF is the current Plinius Flagship amp..looks like a no-holds-barred design encompassing all the know-how that Plinius accumulated along the years using very high quality components inside etc.. :cool:

I can feel for you re cable expenditures and auditionning. I've had it real bad myself and am frankly getting very weary.. :confused: Looks like I will settle for the Siltechs as IC's..Tried AZ's. H/T's. Neotechs , AQ's (older series) and a few others but the Siltechs are the best so far in synergy and general sonics WITH Plinius. I may also try the new X-1/X-2 from Oritek..price is very reasonable and feedback is great..I want to finally forget this painful journey and start enjoying the music :D It's a good thing I finally found a loudspeaker that does everything well and an amp that truy mates beautifully.. :cool:

Cheers

AP

Zip3kx07 said:
I too was skeptical about having mono amp's in my speakers but after hearing them in person, Now all I got to do is find ten grand. :confused: :D

Looks like I may end up like you...:)

Cheers

AP

Audio Pharaoh said:

I suspect A.P. that you will be very tempted to upgrade your speakers. We run Plinius CD101, M8 into SA102's bridged into Monolith IIIp. The CD101 is a glorious cdp - to our ears better than Audio Aero Capitole and Krell KPS 20i/l in direct comparisons.

I have not heard the Plinius Reference but the general buzz is good. Plinius is also in the process of developing a reference preamp just to keep you in debt.

The reason I suspect that you will want to upgrade the speaker is that the electronics will be limited by the Ascent.

My private (now public) opinion about ML speakers is that the larger panels are where the true magic lies - CLS, Monolith, Prodigy. My personal extended experience with the Monolith is that they respond to more and more quality power particularly the sealed enclosure woofer. Low power, they sound dreadful, rolled off, flabby, discontinuous.

From reports it sounds as though the Summit is achieving the big panel sound from a smaller speaker. All that Plinius power - you have to be tempted to try the Summits.

Look forward to hearing your reaction to the new electronics.

Kevin

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the update :) I remember your posting about the CD-101 at AA a while ago. Was wanting to ask you how is it now after it's been finally broken-in ? My new suff is supposed to be shipping early next week. I have good experience with the SA-250mk4 / M-8 combo so I'm all anxious to see how much better the SA-REF will be :)

I completely agree with you on how larger panels respond better to higher quality electronics. For me , it was evident when I compared the Aerius I's with the SL-3's and now the Ascents.

The Summits will be at my ML dealer here in Cairo sometime next month, so they'll be a good chance to audition them. Maybe I'll try to convince them to send a pair to my home..lol :D Still though, money wise, I won't be able to afford them any time soon :(

I'll update you again when I get the amps etc..

Best wishes,
AP

Audio Pharaoh said:
Hi Kev,

Thanks for the update :) I remember your posting about the CD-101 at AA a while ago. Was wanting to ask you how is it now after it's been finally broken-in ? My new suff is supposed to be shipping early next week. I have good experience with the SA-250mk4 / M-8 combo so I'm all anxious to see how much better the SA-REF will be :)

Break in with Plinius CD101 seemed to be about a couple of weeks - system being played about ten hours a day. Directly out of box it sounded terrible, sound vastly improved within a few hours and amazingly at two weeks the sound stage got deeper and broader. Had this confirmed for me by visitor who heard the system several times over the initial month we had it. I didn't really notice much change after that.

The player simply has more of what the Audio Aero has to offer and adds prat without sacrificing sound staging. It is highly musical and pulls the trick of defining the position of instruments without etching them. We have listened to it in another system (all valve, dynamic speakers) and again its musical qualities are apparent.

The bulk of our listening has been in the ML Monolith/ Plinius setup. The player/preamp replaced a Krell KPS 20il.The Plinius amps replaced a Krell KSA 150. The Plinius setup is far more engaging than the Krell setup which we had prior. We were able to directly compare these setups and various combinations.

The combination of Plinius with Martin Logan Monolith is so good that you would think that each used the other for product development.. I understand that ML uses Krell, Plinius uses Shahinian.

The Plinius player is sufficiently good that I would recommend giving it a listen even if you are playing in the Krell, Wadia etc end of the cd playback world.

Kevin

kwr said:
Break in with Plinius CD101 seemed to be about a couple of weeks - system being played about ten hours a day. Directly out of box it sounded terrible, sound vastly improved within a few hours and amazingly at two weeks the sound stage got deeper and broader. Had this confirmed for me by visitor who heard the system several times over the initial month we had it. I didn't really notice much change after that.

The player simply has more of what the Audio Aero has to offer and adds prat without sacrificing sound staging. It is highly musical and pulls the trick of defining the position of instruments without etching them. We have listened to it in another system (all valve, dynamic speakers) and again its musical qualities are apparent.

The bulk of our listening has been in the ML Monolith/ Plinius setup. The player/preamp replaced a Krell KPS 20il.The Plinius amps replaced a Krell KSA 150. The Plinius setup is far more engaging than the Krell setup which we had prior. We were able to directly compare these setups and various combinations.

The combination of Plinius with Martin Logan Monolith is so good that you would think that each used the other for product development.. I understand that ML uses Krell, Plinius uses Shahinian.

The Plinius player is sufficiently good that I would recommend giving it a listen even if you are playing in the Krell, Wadia etc end of the cd playback world.

Kevin

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the info:) I will endorse your statement above re the superb and special synergy between Plinius and ML speakers. I have also found the same, and that's why I count myself lucky now that I am an ML owner !.

Still though, the Logans in general, are very special loudspeakers in their own right, regardless of what amp brands are used. Don't think I'll ever go back to 'box' again... :cool:

Happy Listening !

AP

Back