ML sound good...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jgarbs

Set up will be:
F/L- Vantages
center- stage
sub- Descent
sur.- passage

I really like how the ML sound and can’t wait to purchase them. However I have only heard them in the show rooms. I have never heard them in a normal room. These rooms are all enclosed, are sound insulated, and carpeted. I have been reading this form and others as well. From what I read ML's require great room detail and great placement for them to sound good. When I say room detail I talking about size, flooring, walls, windows, furniture, ect.
The room this will all be going into is 20ft long x 15ft wide x 10ft tall. The room is also open on one side divided only by a bar leading into the kitchen area. The kitchen area would add more sq. footage to the HT room. These speakers are going in is the family room and there is no way I can do anything to the walls except add a few pictures. The floor has tile and have plantation shutters for window treatment. Standard family room furniture; couches, coffee tables, and wall unit.
I would hate to spend the money, get the ML’s home, and they do not sound good.
Will this ML set up sound great in this size room for HT?
Does anyone have a set up like this? How does the room sound?
I also was told that ML’s do not agree with high humidity. Where I am there is no a escaping the humidity. Is this true?

Depends on how critical you are... with me, I'm so critical, it's nuts. I have to have the room pretty symmetrical and everything is measured out... I swear I have OCD when it comes to speaker placement.

However, I know that with a little effort, they should be able to sound very good in almost any room... your room is not an exception. I say, get it.

Joey

Your room is no more a challenge for ML than any other speaker. Logan's dipole sound pattern will result in less wall and floor reflections than competing designs but you need to get some area rugs on the floor since your floor bounce off tile will still be quite annoying. As I said this is true for any good speaker, and it might be a bit less so with the Logans due to the panel dispersion characteristics. Your room is open and large so you will need at least 200 wpc to get the best sound. I suggest that you work with your dealer to borrow two of the smaller Logans like the Clarity and hear how they sound in your room. If you like the sound with these, you can be assured of liking the upscale setup.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will just have to get them in there and give them a chance.

Back