ML Sequel II - low sound, no sound, what's comparable today

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dottie

Reaction score
My husband is the second owner of ML Sequel II speakers. One speaker won't play and may have water damage from a busted pipe; the fuse was checked and is ok. The other speaker has very low sound and I don't believe it got wet. Can the speakers be repaired? How do I go about it? If I wanted to replace them, what is the comparable ML speaker today to Sequel II speakers circa 1990? I want to know what value to set for them.

Resale value is likely minimal (or nothing) given the age and condition of the speakers. For a replacement, you should establish a budget (with a corresponding list of the remainder of your husband's system) and I'm confident you will get some some very good recommendations on new and older / used models to consider.

Msimanyi: Yes. I am addressing an insurance claim; and yes I'm trying to assess the value prior to damage. I also have replacement cost insurance, so knowing a comparable speaker and the actual cost to replace them would be good to know.

I'm certainly no expert (note that I'm new on the forum) but it seems to me you need to first determine the definition of "replacement" per your policy. If it's the same product in the same condition, you'll want to search on used versions for sale now - I see a pair on Ebay - and I'd argue they also need new panels so the condition is known. ML can tell you the price for a pair of panels.

If "replacement" means equivalent, new product from the manufacturer, you could likely argue the 9a, 11a or 13a are close to equivalent. They actually provide amplified power for the woofer, but their electrostatic panel sections aren't as tall as those in the Sequel IIs.

The Sequel II info is in the Martin Logan "Product Museum" available through their site. From the MartinLogan dot com site, click on Support then Product museum. (Edited to remove direct link so this isn’t held any longer for moderator approval.)

If you contact Martin Logan, they can probably tell you the area of the electrostatic panel on a Sequel II, and which speaker in the current line is closest to that. It may help your case with the insurer.

Last edited:
Dottie, I had a response that included included a web link in it, and that's pending release now by a moderator, but here's what I wrote. This should be published immediately, if I understand the site correctly.

I'm certainly no expert (note that I'm new on the forum) but it seems to me you need to first determine the definition of "replacement" per your policy. If it's the same product in the same condition, you'll want to search on used versions for sale now - I see a pair on Ebay - and I'd argue they also need new panels so the condition is known. ML can tell you the price for a pair of panels.

If "replacement" means equivalent, new product from the manufacturer, you could likely argue the 9a, 11a or 13a are close to equivalent. They actually provide amplified power for the woofer, but their electrostatic panel sections aren't as tall as those in the Sequel IIs.

The Sequel II info is in the Martin Logan "Product Museum" available through their site. From the MartinLogan dot com site, click on Support then Product museum. (Edited to remove direct link so this isn’t held any longer for moderator approval.)

If you contact Martin Logan, they can probably tell you the area of the electrostatic panel on a Sequel II, and which speaker in the current line is closest to that. It may help your case with the insurer.

MSIMANYL:

This information is very helpful to me. A friend also agreed that the 9a or 11a were comparable. Thank you so much.

Hi Dottie, as an owner of a 1993 vintage set of Sequels on their original panels. I'd be happy if I could sell the, for anything over $1,000. They would need new panels ($1,800) to have a long life.

Equivalent new would be a 13a or 9a.

The equivalent newer used model would be aTheos (~3,500)

Latest posts

Back