ML- PowerCords (should we upgrade?)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
Last edited:
cords

give Jim powers a call or email him and he will give you the answer you are looking for. and it makes sense in what he as to say.

Who is this wise mystery man? And how can I find him?

He works in service at Martin Logan. He is extremely helpful. Just call Martin Logan and ask for him. Let us know the answer.

Sorry guys, I live in Europe with a seven hour time difference. If anyone else is interested I would be grateful for the knowledge shared.

This subject has been covered EXTENSIVELY in previous discussions. I would suggest that you search the archive.

Also.. since when is it the manufacturers responsibility to include anything but a basic power cord with a product ? There are those who's flat earth thinking will not let them believe that an aftermarket cord has any real benefit, just as their are those of us who think otherwise.
Given the sheer volume of after market power products on the market, unless the manufacturer in question either makes their own up market cord, or chooses to create a business alliance with a specific cord maker, it is best left to the end user to EXPERIMENT with cords of their own choice. :cool:

Double D,

I had visted the archives and felt that my question warranted further discussion. Why would you be concerned? Are you hosting the bandwidth?

Secondly, if I'm paying $5,000 for a pair of speakers I would certainly hope that "all parts" are superior.

Read on...

Last edited:
sugarmedia
i use blue circle bc61 on my prodigys and think they are well worth the price!
at $110.00 each IMHO you can't go wrong!

dave

Sugarmedia,
Depends on your budget. I have Tara Labs and some DIY power cords. They were an improvement. Not earth-shaking but more focus and definition. It also depends on how "dirty" your power is will then determine how much it is "cleaned" by the better cord.

Jeff

SugarMedia said:
I often wonder if a less than superior power cord would be shipped with a superior speaker?
Any fact driven thoughts on this?

I personally don’t mind that Martin Logan doesn’t give us a better power cord so I can pick my own, I prefer PS Audio Xstream Statment.

I am just glad they give us an IEC port so we can change power cords, unlike the Clarity, Cinema I, Theater I, and new Stage center channel with the external low voltage power supply. There are no changing power cords.

I have not seen pictures or specs of the new Stage yet but it better be leaps and bound better than the Theater in performance because I hate that Low voltage power setup. It’s the only thing keeping me from upgrading to the Theater I or getting a pair of Clarity’s.

It also depends on how "dirty" your power is will then determine how much it is "cleaned" by the better cord.

That is when you run all your equipment through a AC line conditioner.

Secondly, if I'm paying $5,000 for a pair of speakers I would certainly hope that "all parts" are superior.
I often wonder if a less than superior power cord would be shipped with a superior speaker? It just doesn't make sense to me that they would do that.

OFC is OFC. As long as the power cord is rated for the voltage running through it nothing will change.

SugarMedia said:
Double D,

Why would you be concerned? Are you hosting the bandwidth?

Read on...

SugarMedia... Let me make ONE thing VERY clear.. I have absolutely ZERO affiliation with this site outside of my basic membership, either by means of financial involvement, or direction in the management of the sites affairs.

I was merely pointing out that there has been substantial discussion about this subject (along with some recommendations) in the archived thread on this very subject.

Also... if you think that paying $5,000 for a pair of speakers will guarantee you that ALL parts are of superior content, you are sadly mistaken. Even at that price point, corners will be cut to bring a product to market.
Besides, if ML were to include a pair of after market cords, the price of your $5000. speakers would probably jump another $500. (or more)

As ZIP pointed out, most consumers will experiment with their own choice of power cords at a price they are comfortable with. Then there are those (no need to name the obvious) who are fine using the supplied cords. :cool: As Davei pointed out the BC power cords are an excellent value, and work great with the logans. I use BC62's on my Ascents.

A reply from Martin Logan:

"We feel that the cord that is shipped with the product does the job it is meant to do very well. The speakers need a power cord to receive AC power. They need power to charge up the electrostatic panel. Once the panel is charged up, the speakers do not draw any more power. When the speakers receive a signal again, they draw AC power to charge the panel. I, personally, am using stock power cords with my Odyssey speakers."

Last edited:
SugarMedia said:

"We feel that the cord that is shipped with the product does the job it is meant to do very well. The speakers need a power cord to receive AC power. They need power to charge up the electrostatic panel. Once the panel is charged up, the speakers do not draw any more power. When the speakers receive a signal again, they draw AC power to charge the panel. I, personally, am using stock power cords with my Odyssey speakers."

I am probably going to get blasted for posting this but here it go’s.

I basically got the same replay back from Martin Logan when I e-mailed them about the External low voltage set-up. They feel the stock cable is fine because it has more then enough copper to power the panels. So going with a cable like PS Audio’s 6 gauge Statement power cable would be way over kill.

But what Martin Logan does not address is shielding on a power cable. Ps Audio’s Statement has four shields, and a Ferrite impregnated jacket outer jacket that cleans the power as it works. It may be way over kill to run statement’s to power my Logan’s but the sound stage is huge compared to running the stock cable not to mention how the clarity, dynamics, and over all presentation became some much more true to life, natural.

If you’re running a power conditioner you need to try aftermarket power cables. Once your power is clean the shielding keeps RF/MI from getting back into your power.

So.. SugarMedia, basically what you're indicating is that any of us who HAVE tried aftermarket power cords with success on our ML's should just put back the stock cords and be forever ignorant of the possibilty that an after market cord can make a difference on the speaker ??

Sorry.. I don't buy that ! and I don't care if it comes from Gayle Sanders or David Penrod, or anyone at ML.

Personally... I think you should get your mitts on a pair of decent power cords and TRY IT FOR YOURSELF. If YOU don't hear a difference, then no harm done except perhaps a few hours time, and the question will be satisfied in your own mind. If you DO get an improvement, then you'll be glad you took the time to try it.
I know of 2 pairs of CLS2z's, 1 pair of ReQuests, 1 pair of Ascents, and one set of Statement E2's that have ALL benefitted from after market cords, and in the case of the ReQuests the difference was astonishing !
I will not be posting any further on the subject.. except to say... Just try it, or do you have that little faith in your own judgement ? :eek:

DoubleD,
Well put! I agree with you. My Sequels II's and my CLSiiZ's were better with aftermarket power cords. These were from DIY Cable so they were not as expensive as others but there was a difference. I do have a Tara Lab power cable on my CD player and WOW did that make a difference!!

Jeff

Double D said:
So.. SugarMedia, basically what you're indicating is that any of us who HAVE tried aftermarket power cords with success on our ML's should just put back the stock cords and be forever ignorant of the possibilty that an after market cord can make a difference on the speaker ??

Sorry.. I don't buy that ! and I don't care if it comes from Gayle Sanders or David Penrod, or anyone at ML.

Amazing! You got all of that from a quote? I suppose there will always be those that feel that they need to supplement their stereo's plug (and their egos in an anonymous forum). However, for me, I now feel that the extensively covered and archived topic will leave me satisfied for some time with the cable that is provided; but I will immediately begin to look into power conditioners, as suggested.

Administrative Disclaimer:

I would like to point out that I have absolutely ZERO affiliation with Martin Logan, outside of my basic purchase, either by means of financial involvement, or direction in the management of their affairs. On a scale of One to Ten the importance of this message is probably around the Three mark. Ok, Three and a half. Having said that, it is not of fantastic importance. Something things are far, far more important than this message: like your health. However, if you do take this message too seriously, all liability shall be limited to the amount that you paid for your stereo system. Thank you for reading this quite important and fairly serious message.

I would rather spend the extra money on treating the room for better acoustics than buying $4,000.00 power cords that you would not hear a difference in a poorly treated listening room. I myself tried upgrading the power cords and speaker cords and the stock power cords and zip speaker cable sound just as good to my ears. People here must have incredibly well treated rooms to hear the "Wider Soundstage" and "Blacker Blacks" because I heard no difference. I master records for a living, and I highly depend on my ears to get the best mix.

I did here a difference when I put my Odysseys on spikes and changing placement, but thats about it for me.

jaz said:
I did here a difference when I put my Odysseys on spikes and changing placement, but thats about it for me.

That is the great thing about out hobby. Each of us can decide on what make a difference or not. And with companies now offering no-risk, no-cost return policies (usually just shipping costs), we can purchase something without worrying about buying a lame duck.

BTW...I saw in your tag line that you have a 59Avi - Can you comment on that player for SACD playback or others that you may have listened to or thought about purchasing?

Thanks...Dan

SugarMedia said:

"Once the panel is charged up, the speakers do not draw any more power"

- does this mean that once the speakers are charged up and playing music, you can disconnect the power cord and the speakers will keep on playing???

Back