ML owner to be

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Picchio

Hello everyone, I am not actually a ML owner yet, though I'd very much like to be; I thought I could ask for some advice on my possible purchase.

Lets start from the beginning, the Summits are right out of my price range :(

With some saving I can probably afford the Vantage depending on how much they cost in my country (New Zealand).

I can relatively confortably afford the Script i.

What I would like to know is, if I cannot afford the Vantage and need to go for the scripts, is it worth it to buy ML when I could have some top of the range boxed speakers (Audio Pro) for half the price (my friend is the NZ importer for Audio Pro).

Before you ask, I will be powering them with a Pioneer receiver VSX-AX5Ai
and will probably change to a VSX-AX4AVi (new model similar specs, but higher wattage and HDMI switching) when it comes out in NZ.

Hi Picchio,

Hard to make a recommendation without knowing the balance of film/music you want to listen to with your system.

ML is not cheap in N.Z. Have you heard ML or Audio Pro? The locally produced speakers from the Image range have a great reputation in N.Z. where they regularly beat off product of twice or more the price. ML can be a bit of an ugly load for a receiver.

http://www.imageloudspeakers.com/

Kevin

kwr said:
Hi Picchio,

Hard to make a recommendation without knowing the balance of film/music you want to listen to with your system.

ML is not cheap in N.Z. Have you heard ML or Audio Pro? The locally produced speakers from the Image range have a great reputation in N.Z. where they regularly beat off product of twice or more the price. ML can be a bit of an ugly load for a receiver.

http://www.imageloudspeakers.com/

Kevin

I guess the system is a bit more movie centric, but sound clarity in both movies and music is very important to me, but yeah it has to be able to handle movies.

I have listened to MLs and I was awestruck by their capability of separating the voices and instruments into distinct and separate sounds.

Audio pro I have yet to listen to, I am mainly interested in their top subwoofer which is reviewed as one of the clearest in the world (if it impresses me enough will be my sub regardless)
the reason why they are my fallbacks is that I'd be able to go for their best speakers (thanks to my friend being the importer) instead of having to settle for the bottom range of MLs or medium quality of another manufacturer.

Are you looking to a surround setup or stereo supplemented with a sub? ML responds to higher power/current delivery amplification. You always have the option of adding offboard amplification to the receiver later. I think it is dificult to integrate other speakers with ML and if you were to go down the ML route you would probably be looking at an ML centre.

A slightly more prosaic viewpoint. I see from you profile that you are at the younger end (in fact same age as I was when we got our first decent system). How settled is your living situation. Are you still at the stage of your life where you can shift accommodation with a car and small trailer? Will you have the same listening room for a while?

You need to listen to the Audio Pro. Your own ears are going to tell you far more than a review. Don't let anyone tell you that something sounds good. I recently listened to a $160,00 system that sounded terrible - made up of ecstatically reviewed components.

Your ears will tell you. Good luck and have fun.

Kevin

Well its going to be a surround setup eventually.

I am uncertain as to wethter or not I want a center channel, it seems to me to kill the nice 3d imaging that two fronts can create.
If I were to get MLs the only non MLs speaker that I might choose would be the sub, I know that it is important to match the mid to high.

My living situation is for the moment fairly settled but you are right in saying that it could change. If it were to change it is my intent that the listening room would improve if anything.

I will defenately have a good thorough listen to everything before I sheel out for anything.

But I am still unsure, do you guys think that a lower end ML would still be preferrable to a boxed speaker?

At the price you would be paying in New Zealand for ML and your indicated budget (Vantage) you are playing in a pretty useful part of the speaker world.

Why not look at Aeons, biamp out of your receiver, add the sub and then have a think about what to do next,if at all. I suspect that if it is predominantly for film then you may end up adding a centre. There are good box speakers and there is a lot of talk about people hearing box colourations but I suspect people are often hearing driver colourations rather than boxes per se - the wave launch etc is quite different too.

At the price point Magneplanar 1.6QR is also a great speaker but i suspect a receiver would be even more challenged by this speaker than the ML.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a box speaker that would give you the performance of an ML at this price area as long as it is well amplified. I still have reservations about receivers and MLs

Kevin

Martin Logan's are the best speakers in the world...

Picchio,

Welcome to the ML Club!

I hope that you do decide to buy ML's... IMHO, they are the best speakers in the whole world. IMHO, you should audition ML Aeon, or Clarity for your front speakers. If your budget is a factor, IMHO, for front speakers, you might want to consider buying used, Ascent i, Aeon or Clarity. Using Script i's, as front speakers is an option, to be sure but, depending on your room and listening taste, ultimately, "Trusting your ears", is primary...

Clarity's could be an excellent choice as front speakers...
ML Clarity's are escentually, Script i's mounted in a wooden cabinet, with a bigger 8 inch bass speaker and a soft cone tweeter.

Personally, IMHO, I think Script i's are so much better suited as excellent surround or rear speakers. IMHO, I would highly recommend an all ML system (with the possible exception of the subwoofer). IMHO, a homeogenous, all ML speaker system is so much more preferable, as far as consistantly beautiful transparent (mids / highs) electrostatic sound from all speakers. An all ML system, really makes all the difference in multi-channel music, DTS, HT performance enjoyment. I love my ML Descent subwoofer, because it is a very fast, servo controled sub, and can really keep-up with my other ML electrostatic pannels. Having said that, I have come to understand / accept that other subwoofers, which are servo controled, are quite fast too. A good example would be "Velodyne" subs. I do not know much about "Audio Pro". Does 'Audio Pro', offer a servo controlled subwoofer?... IMHO, just be sure your sub blends in well, I would recommend auditioning any prospective sub with your other ML speakers, in your own home first before purchasing any prospective subwoofer...

Enjoy yourself, beginning your ML expirence..., and it's good to have you here... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back