ML newbie

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Ward

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

After years of horns (Lowther, Klipsch), I've decided to try living with electrostatics. I was fortunate to get a pair of Ascents for a good price. I'm using them with a Lavardin IT amp which seems powerful enough and able to handle the low impedance at high frequencies so things are looking good.

I plan to give the panels a shower as per the guidance since I can see dirt through the holes. I've already found that bi-wiring makes a big difference to the quality of the bass, which otherwise was disappointing. I'm hopeful that I'll gain a good proportion of the dynamics of the Klipsches once the panels are clean.

But already I'm enjoying the increased clarity, even over replacement Ti diaphragms in the Klipsches, and better stereo image. The big issue is that my wife hates their appearance so some negotiations may be required....

My details are at http://about.me/peter_ward if anyone's interested.

Peter Ward

Peter - first off, welcome, we're glad you found us here.

You don't mention which Klipsch's you've come from, but if they were from the Legacy series (K-Horn's, LaScalla's, Belle Klipsch) you're never going to find the dynamics you had with those speakers. Logan's are fast, but not with the same dynamic ease and authority throughout the entire bandwidth. What you will find is a very true representation if timbre and texture with a mid-range that you've likely never heard out of a horn based system, and an increase in soundstaging and imaging that you've already mentioned. Those are the trade off's I'm afraid - you pay your money and you take your chances. This isn't to say that neither experience can't be intoxicating, just that there will always be differences.

Negotiations with wives can be tricky. I've always found honesty about my purchases (sometimes shielding exactly what I may have paid for a piece), insuring I spend more quality time with her than I do with my stereo, and some really good meals out together to work the trick for me. My wife actually likes the appearance of my CLS's, so I don't have that particular topic to mitigate. You can always tell her it's best to listen with her eyes closed? Good luck!

Thanks, guys!

Yes, I don't really expect Ascents to be as dynamic as my Forte IIs with upgraded crossovers and Ti diaphragms. But it's interesting to get a different perspective, and with judicious amendments things may improve. I look forward to living with them and getting deeper into their character.

Negotiations with wives can be tricky. I've always found honesty about my purchases (sometimes shielding exactly what I may have paid for a piece),!

Peter, welcome, I concur with Tim !!

Back