ML Montis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul172

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded from the ML Odyssey to the Montis? If so what kind of improvement did you experience? Thanks in advance!

Hola Paul,

My liking will be toward the Montis. It comes with a built in power amplifier of 200 Watts for each woofer. Also, at the back of the speaker, there is a knob for adjust the bass energy level. You can precisely adjust the bass of your liking at your seating position.
The new stat panel, called micro-perf, and the stats frame is another thing that I do like it too. It is a antiresonance frame. Also the new micro-perf stator, the diaphragm is exposed to the air circa 40% more than the old technology stat panels. The extension is much better, more dynamics and more sensitivity. The sensitivity allows to you the use of less power wattage for the same SPL. Also, the dispersion is different, the new stat offers much better overall dispersion. The bass of the Montis is robust, well controlled, deep enough to play an Organ Church with outstanding presentation.
Both models have the Martin Logan signature, and they offer very good quality sound.
The Odyssey model is a big speaker. It weights more than 100 pounds.
If you read the review of the Montis by Jeff Dorgey, the Montis at the time of the review, was the best hybrid product of ML so far.

https://www.tonepublications.com/review/martinlogan-montis-speakers/
The Montis is a newer product than the Odyssey. This is my liking, and not necessary must be yours. The Montis is ten years ahead of the Odyssey model.

Happy listening!

Hello Paul,
As a member who has been very satisfied with my SL3's for 22 years and now breaking in new ESL 11A's I agree with Roberto's comments completely. The technology has moved forward but retained what makes an ML speaker special. Also you have to take into account an aging panel. I have not critically listened to the Montis but is seems to be a darling.

Thanks for all the replies. I was looking for a successor to my Odyssey speakers which still sound fantastic! I think I found a replacement that works best for my set up. A pair of CLX‘S

Hola Paul,
The CLX model, represents what ML have learned over 25 years of design and build electrostatic speakers. There are so many little details in the construction and the sound quality. This is the culmination of engineering and searching how to provide the best of the best.

A little history of the CLXs, this model was presented for the first time to the world at the Munich Audio Show. Two finalist remain at the end of the show, and the CLXs won the Best Sound Of The Show award. Not only that, they won by the 11 judges, and for the first time of the Show, unanimously!! This might tell you something regarding the CLXs.

Good decision Paul, you can't go wrong here. To my ears, they are the best full range electrostatic speaker. Period! Have a listen, and let your ears decide!

The CLXs love tube gear. I highly recommend to you, Conrad Johnson gear, with teflon caps, and metal foil resistors. A wonder with the CLXs!.

Happy listening!

Hola Paul,
The CLX model, represents what ML have learned over 25 years of design and build electrostatic speakers. There are so many little details in the construction and the sound quality. This is the culmination of engineering and searching how to provide the best of the best.

A little history of the CLXs, this model was presented for the first time to the world at the Munich Audio Show. Two finalist remain at the end of the show, and the CLXs won the Best Sound Of The Show award. Not only that, they won by the 11 judges, and for the first time of the Show, unanimously!! This might tell you something regarding the CLXs.

Good decision Paul, you can't go wrong here. To my ears, they are the best full range electrostatic speaker. Period! Have a listen, and let your ears decide!

The CLXs love tube gear. I highly recommend to you, Conrad Johnson gear, with teflon caps, and metal foil resistors. A wonder with the CLXs!.

Happy listening!

thanks,

I figured with dual JL Audio subs a hybrid electrostat is not the way to go for me. The addition of a sub built into the speaker would be overkill with the JL Audio subs and the thought of a true 100% electrostatic panel feels just right!

Hola Paul,

Sound is a matter of liking, and what I do like not necessary must be your liking and viceversa. I can't stand a hybrid design. The speakers model before my CLXs, were the CLSs, all the CLSs models. I also have in a second system, a pair of Summits. The Summit model offers two 10" woofers, with self power of a total 400 watts on each Summits for the bass. Your amp will drive only the stat panels. And believe me, the CLXs are beyond, far away of the sound quality. Again, this is my liking and what my ears tell me. This not necessary must be your liking.

With much respect, have you listen the CLXs? They are a total different beasts than a hybrid design. The coherence and the stage is fantastic. The size of the musical instruments, and the timbre, with the right harmonic texture make them unique. Voices are projected into the room with a such realism that you don't believe it. I am rediscovering all my music again...and still my ears are in shock while I listen to them.

I was wondering what the judges did listen at the Munich show. The two models that remain were the Focal Grande JMLabs Utopia, and the retail price for a pair retails in the US for $ 260.000.00 for a pair ( Focal Grande Utopia EM EVO Loudspeakers (each) ) The CLX chosen were unanimously decision by the 11 judges!

Just choose the one that you liked most, and enjoy the wonderful sound coming from ML electrostatic speakers.

Happy listening!

I have listened to the CLX’s tho conditions in the listening environment were not optimal and the source of amplification was probably inadequate for the CLX to really shine but I’m excited to hook them up in my system to hear them where I have the odyssey’s hooked up it will be something special! Question for you? Do you have any experience transporting the speakers? They don’t have the original boxes and the are about an hour away from my home. Can they be moved on their sides or flat safely?

thanks, Paul

Yes, they can, they have a sturdy construction. Just put then on their side and you are ready to go. Use some pillows and cushions to protect their finish and to shim them for not moving around. You need the help of a friend to move them. Also a Van is much better for transportation. The CLXs are big speakers. They are not too good on deep bass, the use of a sub is must. Once you have them in your room, their position is very important. At the beginning, use the flashlight technic. The separation between them should be equal or less than the seating position. Also, the back wall should be at least 3 feet away from the center of the CLXs.

You are going to have a very nice surprise regarding their sound quality. You can't go wrong with them. They exhibit the recording exactly. A good recording shines, a bad one, that's what you get.
In a general way to speak, they are for jazz and classical music. They do play loud and rock. But a sub is a must. They are the most natural speaker that I ever heard, and been in the business, I have to listen a lot of different speakers and electronics.

The first thing that you are going to notice, is the extension at high frequency. Also, they need less power for the same SPL if you do comparison to the Odyssey model. The Odyssey has about the same height. The CLXs are bigger.

I have been a ML dealer for 33 years by now here in Costa Rica. I just love ML sound quality. Also, I am in charge for the line service too.

Happy listening!

Yes, they can, they have a sturdy construction. Just put then on their side and you are ready to go. Use some pillows and cushions to protect their finish and to shim them for not moving around. You need the help of a friend to move them. Also a Van is much better for transportation. The CLXs are big speakers. They are not too good on deep bass, the use of a sub is must. Once you have them in your room, their position is very important. At the beginning, use the flashlight technic. The separation between them should be equal or less than the seating position. Also, the back wall should be at least 3 feet away from the center of the CLXs.

You are going to have a very nice surprise regarding their sound quality. You can't go wrong with them. They exhibit the recording exactly. A good recording shines, a bad one, that's what you get.
In a general way to speak, they are for jazz and classical music. They do play loud and rock. But a sub is a must. They are the most natural speaker that I ever heard, and been in the business, I have to listen a lot of different speakers and electronics.

The first thing that you are going to notice, is the extension at high frequency. Also, they need less power for the same SPL if you do comparison to the Odyssey model. The Odyssey has about the same height. The CLXs are bigger.

I have been a ML dealer for 33 years by now here in Costa Rica. I just love ML sound quality. Also, I am in charge for the line service too.

Happy listening!
Thank you Roberto,

They are being moved in a cargo van but they are to tall to stand up in the van. They will be placed in the same spot my odysseys are currently sitting. That is about 4.5 feet from the back wall and the nearest side wall is 8 feet away. I was able to audition the CLX‘s without a subwoofer so yes I agree they will need to be accompanied by subs. Fortunately I have 2 JL audio F113’s that will be paired up with the CLX’s. The Fathom F113 completely changed the sound of the odyssey‘s for the better! My excitement for the CLX’s being paired with the JL Audio subs is the number 1 reason I felt the CLX’s were the best match compared to a newer hybrid model Speakers that have the subs built-in.

Back