ML Monoliths Find

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mingodog

Last year I came across a pair of 1984 Monoliths at a Salvation Army auction. After I paid the man 130.00 I took them home wondering if the surrounds on the woffers were the only problem I would have to deal with.. Well after a 55.00 re-foam job they sound great !! Now I have never owned a pair of ML, much less some this big. Anyway I have them powered by my Carver TFM 35, but I think they are under powered. I wanted to bi-amp them but since then have found out from ML that I need external crossovers in order to do this... Do you guys have any recommendations as to what should I do ? Either get a more powerful amp, or get some crossover and run another amp to them ? I know you guys deal with all the new ML stuff, but I just a poor boy that fell into some luck, and now I just want to experience what only a few to get hear..

mingodog said:
...powered by my Carver TFM 35, but I think they are under powered. I wanted to bi-amp them but since then have found out from ML that I need external crossovers in order to do this... Do you guys have any recommendations as to what should I do ? Either get a more powerful amp, or get some crossover and run another amp to them ?

Hi Welcome to the land of wonderful sound, you will really enjoy these ML's.

Secondly, you are on the right track, the Monoliths beg to be biamped after an active crossover.

This is easy to do if you are willing to spend a bit of time learning how to tune an active system. As you seen from other posts, you even need to first carefully position the speakers, treat the room and then work on some tone balancing.

Since it seems you are trying to do this for the least $'s possible, I'll mention products I would not normally recommend, but that will do a better job than the passive crossover.

Cheapest option is to find a pro-audio analog active crossover, like the Ashly XR1001 2-way stereo active crossover Roughly $150 or less. I got a used one to try actives and loved it so much I upgraded to a true Speaker processor, the DriveRack 260.

Secondly, you could go for a Behringer DCX2496. It is a DSP based crossver / speaker processor with PC control. Roughly $350.

Or BBE has some new speaker processors for $350 that seem competitive with the DCX in the same price range. The DS24 should do what you want, or if you have a sub, get the DS26 and do a Hi/Lo/Sub crossover.

Of the pro-audio units, the DBX DriveRack 260 ($999) is the king-daddy speaker processor.

And finally, if you are really feeling spendy, the ~$3500 DEQX Room corrector /crossover. http://www.deqx.com/index_content.html

Enjoy those Monoliths and feed them plenty of power, especially the panels.

BTW- if you do go with an active crossover, ensure the amp load stays within reason (or that your amp can deal with it). If you really want to be sure, just add three 20w 3 Ohm resistors wired in series to create a 1 Ohm load and put that in the Positive feed from the amp to the speaker.

Cheers,

Back