ML & digital amps.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinodk

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
Can Class-D or any switch mode power supply amps handle ML's? Because of limitation of rack space I am looking for an amp that is compact & runs cool yet is able to handle tough loads. Also any suggestions for cool running solid state is also appreciated.
Vinod.

There are a number of new SS Class D amps based on the B&O IcePower, or Tripath designs. Many claim they can deliver high current into low impedance speakers such as ML's. There is a current thread in this forum re NuForce amps, however some casting doubt about their ability to drive ML's. Other reviews of Class D amps elsewhere on the net rave about their sound with other planar speakers. As with any amp, it would be best to try first, before buying.

I had the same limitation when looking for a new amp earlier this year. At the time, the IcePower designs had just come out, but few U.S. manufacturers offered them. I decided to hold off, and, following suggestions from this forum, ended up getting a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 ~five. I couldn't be happier with how well they drive my Aerius, while running cool, even in a closed cabinet.

vinodk said:
Hi Guys! Can Class-D or any switch mode power supply amps handle ML's?

A lot of good talk about the Channel Island Amps www.ciaudio.com around the audio community. Drop Dusty at CI Audio a note and ask about the amps working with ML's. He is a great person to deal with and his product are well regarded.

Dan

I have Citation 5.1 sitting idle. I am contemplating running front channel ML's with it & I am guessing it will handle ML's fine as it is a very underrated amp. Meanwhile thanks for the suggestions.

I'm using a PS Audio GCC500 with my Ascent i's - with excellent results. This is an IcePower amp, and I put it in to replace a Krell.

Any questions, please ask!

If I remember correctly I thought I had heard that Sunfire amps were switching amps. Thus they run cool. Also I think that there are many kinds of switching amps other than class D as well. I do know that the new Emotiva high-end line is based on Sunfire designs.

vinodk said:
Hi Guys!
Can Class-D or any switch mode power supply amps handle ML's? Because of limitation of rack space I am looking for an amp that is compact & runs cool yet is able to handle tough loads. Also any suggestions for cool running solid state is also appreciated.
Vinod.

Check out the Bel Canto 200.2. They can be had used for around $900 and are outstanding amps. I've used mine on ReQuests and now Aerius'. I'm actually selling mine because I don't have the time or inclination for higher quality audio, so I'm using a receiver right now. But the Bel Canto is definitely a better sounding unit. Also, Rotel just came out with the RMB-1077 which is a 7-channel all ICE-power amp that looks very interesting.

As with any amp, listen carefully before you buy - and pay particular attention to the stability of the amp at the frequency extremes.

Well *i* think so, but my mate says i have no tact at all.

oh...wait...

longhorn said:

No direct experience with TacT (I'm on Sunfires now), but I do belong to the TacT users group on Yahoo and there are several ML owners with TacT front ends. They all rave about the combo.
The Millennium especially, as it is capable of up to 100amps of current into the difficult loads of the ML's.

The smaller TacT's still put out up to 50amps, so they are strong enough for most ML's up through a reQuest size. The Monoliths or CLS's could certainly use a Millennium.

Even the TacT room correction works well with the ML's. But setup is tricky.

In general, I love the concept of full digital control of the volume at the amp these units deliver.

The built in x-overs on the .x models would be great to use for biamping. As I've come to the conclusion that one of the best tweaks for an ML is to bypass the inferior passive x-overs in them (inferior only to active).

Finally decided to go with Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 Seven to go with Aeon i, Theater i & Fresco. Waiting for the speakers as well as amp to be delivered next week. Hope Sunfire is enough for this setup.

vinodk said:
Hi Guys!
Vinod.

Hi, I had the same desire as you do. After much reading and looking around, I've bought a PS Audio HCA-2. I'm very happy with it. My ML's are a pair of Stylos. The GCA should be an even better bet... AFAIK the folks at PS Audio will let you test a unit for 30 days for free (http://www.psaudio.com/cart/help/trial.asp?productID=82) so you've got nothing to lose.

(first post here, hello everybody!)

I am planning to use the back surround channels on the Sunfire 7-channel amp to vertically bi-amp the Aeon i. I am not sure if it will make a big difference.

For a while I had 4 of the 5 channels on my Sunfire amp used to bi-amp my Ascents for a stereo setup with good results. The difference was mainly better bass.

I now have the amp dedicated to a 5 channel HT system and use the Current Output for the panels and the Voltage Output for the woofer. Shotgun wired of course.

Digital power amplifiers...

vinodk said:
Hi Guys!
Vinod.
Vinod,

I did exhaustive reseach on Sunfire amplifiers... They are powerful extremely well designed and well made amplifiers. The inventor / engineer, Bob Carver is a facinating and very talented guy. His digital switching amplifiers are very cool running, powerful amplifiers... I was seriously concidering the "Sunfire Signature Cimina Grand 400 ~ Seven", I asked so my questions and bugged everyone on this forum to death... :eek: Everyone, on this forum is / was so kind, patient and helpful... :D Anyway, I listened to the sunfire. I auditioned it along with cooler running, Class "A" powerful amplifiers like; Anthem Statement P5, Cary Audio's Cinema X, Sim Audio's Moon Aurora. I found that what makes an Class "A" amplifier's run warmer or cooler are due to several factor's; 1). Design. 2). Engineering. 3). Capacity. 4). Quality. For my money and ears, the cool running Anthem P5 was the amp. for me. It's an excellent cool running Class "A" amp.

The ultimate choice is yours, of course... IMHO, an amplifier was a huge investment for me, much more of a expense / concideration than my equipment rack. If you look at my, system #57, you will see, I had to move my Pioneer VSX-59TXi off of my equipment rack, as my P5 amp. was just too large. I placed my 59TXi on a, low oak table, right next to my main audio equipment rack. I works fine, looks great and more importantly sounds beautiful to my ears. My "OmiMount 'Cosmic' (five shelf) Tower" - cost $425.00 (USD). Where as, my Anthem Statement P5 amplifier cost, $5,500.00 (USD). The choice was clear to me, for the beautiful, power sound I needed for my ears...

I hope you find what you are looking for in a amplifier, for your ML's. Roberto's advice applies here as always, "Trust your ears".......:D

Good Luck! and enjoy your audio quest...

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
Hi Robin!
Appreciate your input. I have decided to go with Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 Seven for my 5.1 system with possibly Aeon i being vertically bi-amped using surround back channels. Will keep everybody updated as to how it goes. Hopefully Sunfire has enough balls to handle the setup of Aeon i, Theater i & Fresco.

vinodk said:
Hi Robin!
Appreciate your input. I have decided to go with Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 Seven for my 5.1 system with possibly Aeon i being vertically bi-amped using surround back channels. Will keep everybody updated as to how it goes. Hopefully Sunfire has enough balls to handle the setup of Aeon i, Theater i & Fresco.
Hola...good choice, one of the best in the marketplace in now days!...remember: trust your ears, not in specs.
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hi Guys!
Finally set up the ML system with Aeon i, Theater i & Fresco with Aeon i vertically bi-amped. WOW!! What a difference between Aerials & ML, as though somebody has lifted a veil. The blend between the ML's & Velodyne DD-15 was seamless. Maybe it is a matter of synergy between amp & speakers. Sunfire Cinema Grand 200-7 handled them without a hiccup. Watched "Chronicles Of Riddick" & listened to "Blue Man Group DVD-Audio". I am using Pioneer Elite 59TXi as preamp with Pioneer 59AVi connected to it via i-Link. Finally I am a ML convert.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got an excellent system going...

vinodk said:
Hi Guys!
Finally set up the ML system with Aeon i, Theater i & Fresco with Aeon i vertically bi-amped. WOW!! What a difference between Aerials & ML, as though somebody has lifted a veil. The blend between the ML's & Velodyne DD-15 was seamless. Maybe it is a matter of synergy between amp & speakers. Sunfire Cinema Grand 200-7 handled them without a hiccup. Watched "Chronicles Of Riddick" & listened to "Blue Man Group DVD-Audio". I am using Pioneer Elite 59TXi as preamp with Pioneer 59AVi connected to it via i-Link. Finally I am a ML convert.
vinodk,

Your system sounds like it has finially come together for you... I am glad you are enjoying the ML sound through your new Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 ~ seven. Now the next step... You should post your system on the member systems section of the ML Club... I for one, would like to see it... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Back