ML Depth Resurrection - (Help Requested Please)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adlerburg

Reaction score
Hi Guys/Gals,
I originally had the Depth back in the day when they were new to the line.. loved it then. Many years/moves later.. current day, I was looking to get it again. They are still hella expensive, out of production, 3 model back.. only used and all going over the grand mark. I found one on eBay for $750 shipped, with cosmetic flaws, but advertised to be in perfect working condition. It arrived with on of the 8" drivers DOA... the other 2 seem fine. It must've taken a downward drop, as that heavy mag on the back with the help of inertia snapped all three cast aluminum basket legs. After speaking with support at ML, and the Speaker exchange in Tampa... because cast aluminum can't be successfully welded (according to both parties), this speaker is gone... and without a solution, conversely so is this Depth. Of course I can return for my money, but I'd much rather come up with a solution... NOS, or used, or other replacement 8" Servo driver that might work? I realize the latter will be difficult matching everything to live well with the other 2 ML speakers
I "believe" (hope!!) that with the single 8" driver replacement, this will be successful. Oh, if anyone knows an absolute sure way of welding the basket that we haven't been able to find.... The rest would be easy.. recone/rebuild over at Speaker Exchange
The OEM ML 8" Servo Driver mod number is D8T 631TM
Any help resurrecting this old but venerable workhorse is greatly appreciated.
V/R
Mick

MLDepth_zpsqzvhwqos.jpg

ML_Dam6_zpsz77hygah.jpg

ML_Dam5_zpshbveeqz3.jpg

ML_Dam5_zpshbveeqz3.jpg

MLSpeaker_zpsdktvdf2i.jpg

Did you check with ML? They pride themselves on stocking replacement parts.

Did you check with ML? They pride themselves on stocking replacement parts.

Thanks for the reply. As I indicated in the OP, I spoke with both ML and Speaker Exchange.. and neither could help with a replacement. SE indicated that if I could find someone who had a process to weld cast aluminum , they would rebuild the speaker. Both ML and SE didn't know of a way to weld cast aluminum. I'm hoping to find someone who might have a damaged cabinet and would be willing to sell one of the drivers... working or not, as long as the basket Frame is intact.
Thanks
Mick

Did SpEx say that they can get the actual OEM (Vifa?) recone kit, or is it an aftermarket or general purpose kit? In other words, will it match the other two woofers in this Depth?
Why aren't the other two woofers damaged, or can't you tell yet...?
Isn't this 'spending good money after bad'? Get your money back while you can, and move on to the next used Depth.

Did SpEx say that they can get the actual OEM (Vifa?) recone kit, or is it an aftermarket or general purpose kit? In other words, will it match the other two woofers in this Depth?
Why aren't the other two woofers damaged, or can't you tell yet...?
Isn't this 'spending good money after bad'? Get your money back while you can, and move on to the next used Depth.
Hi... thanks for the reply ... you definitely have valid points here. Here's my replies and thoughts....

• SpEx said they can rebuild this to the same specs, and I'm assuming you are correct in that it is after market coil etc. For the cone, they said they'll carefully remove the aluminum cone and reuse it.
  • The other two speakers are whole as I examined both and tested... all ok
  • The amp and electronics tested good .. all ok
  • The cabinet is solid.. actually held air pressure.. which would be important in this sealed sub design according to Ron ant ML who walked me through the troubleshooting process.
You are correct that this very well could be throwing good money for bad, but the orig owner will make sure those monies are not from me. My concern here is that with such a blow that one speaker's frame actual broke in 3 spots, that even if I was able to get the one speaker and had a working Depth at the time of putting it together. Is it a "ticking time bomb".. not literally, but is failure imminent, and just waiting to let loose, or will I be fine. I'm leaning toward your thought process, and get a refund to get behind an uninjured Depth.
Thanks a bunch
Mick

The simplest fix would be to source an exact replacement woofer from another Depth, and one will turn up on ebay, eventually....

As you know, Depth is a sub that depends on all three woofers being the same. Let's list the steps for this to go right:
a) SpEx needs to carefully separate the cone, surround, and spider from the basket. That spider is not coming out without some damage, so they'll have to find a new spider of the same spec as OEM.
b) SpEx needs to send off the basket to get welded. Everyone says cast aluminum can't be welded, plus how would one inspect that it's dimensionally correct before assembling it again?
c) SpEx needs to source a matching voice coil and spider and glue them to the existing cone. I just don't see how this rebuilt woofer can match the other two, unless it uses the exact cone assembly (cone, VC, and spider) from the OEM.
d) You pay SpEx for all that work and shipping, without knowing if it sounds right until you get the woofer home, reassemble it in the Depth, and play it. That's a lot of risk for you to take on: Best to leave all that to the original seller...

The simplest fix would be to source an exact replacement woofer from another Depth, and one will turn up on ebay, eventually....

As you know, Depth is a sub that depends on all three woofers being the same. Let's list the steps for this to go right:
a) SpEx needs to carefully separate the cone, surround, and spider from the basket. That spider is not coming out without some damage, so they'll have to find a new spider of the same spec as OEM.
b) SpEx needs to send off the basket to get welded. Everyone says cast aluminum can't be welded, plus how would one inspect that it's dimensionally correct before assembling it again?
c) SpEx needs to source a matching voice coil and spider and glue them to the existing cone. I just don't see how this rebuilt woofer can match the other two, unless it uses the exact cone assembly (cone, VC, and spider) from the OEM.
d) You pay SpEx for all that work and shipping, without knowing if it sounds right until you get the woofer home, reassemble it in the Depth, and play it. That's a lot of risk for you to take on: Best to leave all that to the original seller...
Hey Tosh,
Thanks so much for your reply.
I agree the simplest would be to find an exact replacement. After looking everywhere I knew to, "search all of Craigs List", eBay, forums, call many speaker reconing service stores..... I realized that finding one will/might happen, but could take a day or a year or a decade...
So even if it come into my hands, from the hit that the box took enough to snap the cast aluminum frame, the probability is high that something else will go wrong sooner than later.
I agreed with your prior sentiment... throwing good money after bad, and have been refunded by the original seller. The injured soldier is just awaiting pickup by Fedex for inspection so they can pay the claim to the original seller. I hope they don't snake out of paying him... It's really not fair to the seller to go out of pocket either. I'm whole at this point looking for a depth, or other servo driven sub.... Thank you to all who have helped me.
warm regards,
Mick

Sorry to hear of your issue Mick and welcome to the forum.

I live in Tampa and Speaker Exchange has a very good reputation. I have used them to work on a couple of pairs of drivers a number of years ago and the outcome was great.

Your issue is a bit more complicated than mine was but they don't seem like the type of people that would take the job unless they felt it would be successful.

Good Luck, Brad

One other thought Mick.

Is the speaker undamaged other than the breaks in the in the casting?

If so and were it mine I would protect the other parts on the speaker and epoxy the legs back in place. Make aluminum back up plates and epoxy them on the outside to reinforce the breaks. This would not be terrible expensive and may actually work.

Brad's idea might be a possible solution. I've used JB Weld (2 tube epoxy) on several repair jobs around the house. It's held up on a cracked water pump for my water storage tank for about 10 years.
Not much to lose to try?

Back