ML Depth I Subwoofer amplifier board needed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leilok

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum. I got a broken Depth I Sub a while back . Found our the amplifier board is totally fried!!!!! Called ML support and pretty much got no solution! Covid-19 excuses and no parts available probably forever!!
Wondering if anyone can shed some light and revive this wonderful sub.......much appreciated!!!!

What exactly did ML say? I'm surprised to hear they were of little help.

Im a bit surprised too about not having parts. They are building my new panels for 20 year old Prodigy speakers now. The depth i isnt nearly as old.

I have a Depth i that is having problems too but I cant diagnose what the problem is. Mine luckily is very intermittent, so im not worried about it too much yet.

So they told you that they will no longer be able to service your sub?

Hello,

Thank you for the mail and so sorry for the delay.
Please note we are experiencing delays due to COVID-19.

We are working with an extremely limited staff and limited resources.

Our apologies, but we unfortunately no longer have stock of this item/part and I do not know if we will be receiving more.
I wish I had better news.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Brian Bailey
National Accounts Service Manager
MartinLogan LTD
[email protected]

Thats too bad. I have a feeling that is where my problem is, in that board. I will just end up replacing the sub when my problem gets worse. It hard to bring yourself to throwing out a nice looking piece of audio equipment. I once threw out my old Carver subwoofer.

Thats too bad. I have a feeling that is where my problem is, in that board. I will just end up replacing the sub when my problem gets worse. It hard to bring yourself to throwing out a nice looking piece of audio equipment. I once threw out my old Carver subwoofer.

Hopefully someone will take apart a broken one and list the amp board for sale. I think it’s impossible to try to duplicate the amp board especially with the servo feature.....

Well, if the amp is fried, you really are at the point of getting a new sub if you can't find a new board. At least ML told you that it is an out of date product that they are not supporting anymore and didn't lead you on with supposed help in the future. Subs are really a near disposable product in a broad brush kind of way. They really have three main parts, the woofer, the amplification/power supply and the cabinet with any associated control knobs/switches. Of course if the cabinet gets broken it is pretty much done for. If the woofer breaks you can usually replace them without too much effort, but when the power supply/amp goes it can be a stake through the heart. If it was in production currently, they would be able to easily get a whole new power/supply amp and you can quickly replace it. I think they are just moving on to newer products. Also, I would look at pricing. A $25,000 pair of speakers are very worth giving the customer a lot of help in repaneling and new power supplies. A $4000 sub, not so much. It stinks but that seems to me where they are going on sub repair. I hope you find that part from someone. Good Luck!

Well, if the amp is fried, you really are at the point of getting a new sub if you can't find a new board. At least ML told you that it is an out of date product that they are not supporting anymore and didn't lead you on with supposed help in the future. Subs are really a near disposable product in a broad brush kind of way. They really have three main parts, the woofer, the amplification/power supply and the cabinet with any associated control knobs/switches. Of course if the cabinet gets broken it is pretty much done for. If the woofer breaks you can usually replace them without too much effort, but when the power supply/amp goes it can be a stake through the heart. If it was in production currently, they would be able to easily get a whole new power/supply amp and you can quickly replace it. I think they are just moving on to newer products. Also, I would look at pricing. A $25,000 pair of speakers are very worth giving the customer a lot of help in repaneling and new power supplies. A $4000 sub, not so much. It stinks but that seems to me where they are going on sub repair. I hope you find that part from someone. Good Luck!
Thats the impression I get too. Its as if subs are seen as disposable. Spent about $2200 on my Depth i eight years ago. So that's $275 a year to have it. Mine is still working ok, so i guess I cant complain too much. Just going to be weird throwing it in the trash.

Just going to be weird throwing it in the trash.
Trash? ?
Use it as a side table next to chair or sofa.
Take out the guts, remove the top control panel, then use it as a trash-bin/side-table keeping the top cover on between usage.
Coffee table base.
Jack stand for car repair.
Attach a wood plank vertically and you've got a chair, remove the top control panel and you've got a chair that doubles as a toilet.

Hello,

Thank you for the mail and so sorry for the delay.
Please note we are experiencing delays due to COVID-19.

We are working with an extremely limited staff and limited resources.

Our apologies, but we unfortunately no longer have stock of this item/part and I do not know if we will be receiving more.
I wish I had better news.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Brian Bailey
National Accounts Service Manager
MartinLogan LTD
[email protected]
Brian, thx for chiming in! While this doesn't help Robert, I sent you guys an email yesterday. Any ideas when I might expect a response? Just curious if we are talking days, weeks, or hopefully not, months. Don't worry, I won't hold you to it! :)

If you can find a really good repair tech he can go through the fried board and see of it is repairable or not. If it was 25 years ago, I could have done it for you. I had all the equipment and skills back then.

Brian, thx for chiming in! While this doesn't help Robert, I sent you guys an email yesterday. Any ideas when I might expect a response? Just curious if we are talking days, weeks, or hopefully not, months. Don't worry, I won't hold you to it! :)
When I emailed them a few days ago, they got back to me by email first within 12 hours and then we replied back and forth in an email chain. 5 minute replies.

Fried amp board for entertainment 😭

Attachments

• AF0D55D4-3681-4722-B6C0-FC19E123A26E.jpeg
    AF0D55D4-3681-4722-B6C0-FC19E123A26E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • 77272D90-1ACD-4329-8FD5-8BE176C4C724.jpeg
    77272D90-1ACD-4329-8FD5-8BE176C4C724.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
Hola Leilok,

You can buy this board direct to ML Service dptm. ([email protected]) They will help you to get the right PSU board. Include the serial No. of your Depth I. There might be little changes in the board, so, I recommend to send the serial NO. to get the one that belongs to your Depth I.

Happy listening!

Back