ML Center Theater - Mod or upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Illusion is $7k, the Focus is $3.5k.

I'm guessing that the Focus would be the one competing with the Theater i. I know the Focus would be a big step up for me!!

The Illusion is $7k, the Focus is $3.5k.

I'm guessing that the Focus would be the one competing with the Theater i. I know the Focus would be a big step up for me!!
Yeah. Im replacing my theater i with the Focus. Mine should arrive at the store early next week. I will report back once I get it hooked up and tested. I expect a big improvement.

I noticed that the 2 speakers are of almost identical size. I think the Focus has a bigger panel surface area though.

I measured the panels on my Theater i and compared to the measurement given on the stats page for the Focus and it looks like the Theater i is a bit bigger. Maybe an inch wider.

I imagine the Focus is easier to place... with the back being "enclosed", it's probably not that sensitive to variations in distance from front wall, etc. ...

I imagine the Focus is easier to place... with the back being "enclosed", it's probably not that sensitive to variations in distance from front wall, etc. ...
Yes, i.think that will help. If the newer microperf screens are much better like they are said to be, that will be a big improvement. The new coating they use is better too I was told by ML. Ive got that on my new Prodigy panels too.

Robert, the focus should do anything that you can conceive of as It is a big brute of a center channel. You will NOT be bringing a knife to a gunfight. You will never have to apologize for your center channel. You are as Pres Trump would say "to the tippy top" of center channels. I can't think of many that would be all that much better.
I have to say WOW!

Robert, the focus should do anything that you can conceive of as It is a big brute of a center channel. You will NOT be bringing a knife to a gunfight. You will never have to apologize for your center channel. You are as Pres Trump would say "to the tippy top" of center channels. I can't think of many that would be all that much better.
I have to say WOW!
Man, I hope so! I havent heard it. Martin Logan is the only brand that I have ever bought without listening to first. The store I use doesnt have one in their showroom. They need to get one.

Now we have to figure out a way to angle it down from the top of the entertainment center so that the sound is more direct. The theater i has the base that swivels the speaker. Seems the Focus does not. The guys at the store said they will come up with something.

Well, I had to take my new Focus back to the dealer for a repair. It had a lose negative speaker terminal right out of the box. Hopefully the repair is uneventful.

I could make a snarky comment on quality control for very expensive stuff, but I won't. I will take the high road. I'm sure your new Focus will be AWESOME!

I could make a snarky comment on quality control for very expensive stuff, but I won't. I will take the high road. I'm sure your new Focus will be AWESOME!
Yeah, I think so. I played it and it did sound awesome. Voices were much more clear and the bass sounded much better. I'm looking forward to getting it back tonight. They say it should be ready. They have to take the back panel off. There is a nut I think that is lose and then they hot glue that. Seems something went wrong there.

The guy at the shop told me that ML gets the terminal box from another company, so they don't make that. I hope they start inspecting the terminals more closely now if they don't already.

I also bought a nice new Marantz receiver that was defective and I had to return it. I forget what was wrong with it. I have bad luck.

Back in 08 we built a new $400k home and moved in during March. I turned on the top of the line Carrier AC for the first time in April and it did not work!! I was pissed. Turns out the compressor was bad, brand new. The repairman wasn't even surprised. He said it happens all the time.

So, you're sayin' there's a nut loose somewhere?
funny-pictures-3-e1617570880203.jpg

Well, they tightened it as much as they could and it seemed good. I got it home and hooked up the spade connectors of the wire and it loosened again.

Looks like we will have ML send me another speaker and I'll turn this one over to the dealer. The Focus is on backorder now though, so not sure when that will come. The Focus speaker I have now sounds great, so I guess I can just use it until the other one arrives.

Yeah, I think so. I played it and it did sound awesome. Voices were much more clear and the bass sounded much better. I'm looking forward to getting it back tonight. They say it should be ready. They have to take the back panel off. There is a nut I think that is lose and then they hot glue that. Seems something went wrong there.

The guy at the shop told me that ML gets the terminal box from another company, so they don't make that. I hope they start inspecting the terminals more closely now if they don't already.

I also bought a nice new Marantz receiver that was defective and I had to return it. I forget what was wrong with it. I have bad luck.

Back in 08 we built a new $400k home and moved in during March. I turned on the top of the line Carrier AC for the first time in April and it did not work!! I was pissed. Turns out the compressor was bad, brand new. The repairman wasn't even surprised. He said it happens all the time.
Marantz and Denon are made in the same factory in Vietnam...and have a long history of being unreliable at best....You could wait for days on their CS telephone line....I speak of personal experience.

Marantz and Denon are made in the same factory in Vietnam...and have a long history of being unreliable at best....You could wait for days on their CS telephone line....I speak of personal experience.

Luckily, I buy everything at my local dealer and all I did was return the receiver and have them order another. They took care of everything.

Spades are famous for loosening up. Banana Plugs are pretty good for staying tight unless someone messes around.
Well, it's not the spade on the speaker wire that looseness, but the negative terminal itself. It swivels around in the cabinet. Very lose.

They took the cabinet apart and tightened a nut inside in the terminal. It felt tight at the store. Once I got it home and screwed on the speaker wire it became lose all over again.

Some people overtighten them with a wrench or nut driver (I see a lot of crushed or gouged spades on used speaker cables for sale). Finger tight should do it, otherwise the posts can break loose when reversing to remove the cables.

Some people overtighten them with a wrench or nut driver (I see a lot of crushed or gouged spades on used speaker cables for sale). Finger tight should do it, otherwise the posts can break loose when reversing to remove the cables.
Yes, for sure. I just get them finger tight. I do the same on both terminals and the positive is really nice and tight, doesnt flip around like the negative.

Back