ML Center Theater - Mod or upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All, I have a ML Theater center, anyone know where to buy replacement drivers for this channel, original or comparable or better replacement.
One of the mid/woofer suspension separated from the speaker basket (it was not broken or had holes or was worn).
However I carefully epoxied it back. the flexibility of the suspension is still there and it is working fine now. I know in a few month or so it will break/sperate, so I want to plan ahead and replace both mid/woofers in it.
Any suggestion on the replacement drivers?

1616531668387.png

1616531686476.png

1616531702265.png

1616531715702.png

I took mine into my local dealer and they put a new one in for me. I'm pretty sure they got it direct from ML. I have a theater i, and that was about 4 years ago.

if i can order the driver i can just install it myself
- if i new the model
Contact the factory and ask for the T/S parameters for that driver, they usually hand that out for non-current models.

Secondly, the reason the woofer had the issue is that the crossover in the preamp for that channel is set too low. Make sure it is set to 'small'.
It's being overdriven and likely distorting a good bit, For that model 80Hz is the absolute lowest, and if you play loud, then set it to 100Hz, or even 120Hz.
As an example, I used 120Hz on the old Logos, and even my humongous SL3XC with 6 7" woofers that measure flat to below 40Hz at very loud levels, is crossed over at 80Hz.

Check out this video on ESL panel replacement for this model:

Might be something to consider if updating the woofers.

BTW- this model benefits tremendously from full absorption of the rear wave, as otherwise, the comb-filtering kills dialog intelligibility. Looking at the guy's setup in the video made my ears cringe.
To experiment, throw a couple of fluffy (non-reflective) pillows back there and hear the difference.

I agree with JonFo regarding crossover setting. My Motif has a minimum of 73Hz, but the higher I set the XO the better. Currently I have an active XO for just the Motif with the XO set at about 170Hz, I say "about" because it's a setting controlled by a knob.

edit: The Motif has a subwoofer of its own placed under the tv panel. The channel is setup as Large, which makes it doubly important to squelch the low frequencies from the small woofers. ML told me that they do not "protect" the woofers on these speakers because they are expected to be used with subwoofers.

Last edited:
I also agree with the above posts. Set your crossover at 110 to 120 and that will protect the drivers. With everyone owning subwoofers nowadays, there is no need to run the full range bass to the other speakers.

Check out this video on ESL panel replacement for this model:

Might be something to consider if updating the woofers.

BTW- this model benefits tremendously from full absorption of the rear wave, as otherwise, the comb-filtering kills dialog intelligibility. Looking at the guy's setup in the video made my ears cringe.
To experiment, throw a couple of fluffy (non-reflective) pillows back there and hear the difference.

Wow, I didn't think ML made replacement panels for the center channel speakers.

Last I heard, they do for all centers, except the Logos.
Im thinking I will just end up replacing my theater i with a Focus eventually. Those should be close in performance, right? The Focus I expect might be a bit better?

Im thinking I will just end up replacing my theater i with a Focus eventually. Those should be close in performance, right? The Focus I expect might be a bit better?
The Focus C18 is waaaay better. It is a monopole, so really clear dialog. The AMT tweeter is blended really well on this one.

I think you will be very happy with that decision C18 is one of the best centers ML ever made.

I wonder how much I could get for my Theater I. It still performs very well. The panel on it is not worn out yet. The store where I buy my speakers will sell the old speaker for me.

Does the Focus come with a stand like my theater i has? I have to place the speaker on top of my entertainment center and then pivot the speaker downward toward the seating position.
20201003_135024.jpg

If you don't care about off-axis viewers and assuming you have nice big ML left and right speakers, use a phantom/virtual channel. You'll be amazed how much better it is than a puny center.

Robert, I would put the Focus under the TV, much better result all around. Even if you need to build a shelf over the Focus to hold the TV. It looks like you have the vertical clearance in the entertainment center.

Robert, I would put the Focus under the TV, much better result all around. Even if you need to build a shelf over the Focus to hold the TV. It looks like you have the vertical clearance in the entertainment center.
Just not enough room under to put in a shelf and the speaker. Only option is where it is now, unless I get rid of the cabinet and start all over with a media cabinet under and mount a TV on the wall. Too much trouble now to go through since I plan on moving in a few years anyhow and build a home theater. Probably won't use a cabinet at all then. I'd like to put all the equipment in it's own room then.

The theater i's sound as it is now appears to come from the screen. Angling the speaker down on its stand really works well. If it did not, it would drive me crazy. I'm wondering if the focus has a stand or perhaps some screws on the bottom that can be extended up in the rear to tilt it down. I can't find anything on the net to explain how folks use it on a shelf.

Going to call the local shop here and inquire.

The theater i's sound as it is now appears to come from the screen. Angling the speaker down on its stand really works well. If it did not, it would drive me crazy. I'm wondering if the focus has a stand or perhaps some screws on the bottom that can be extended up in the rear to tilt it down. I can't find anything on the net to explain how folks use it on a shelf.
My Motif is above the tv panel and sound seems to come from just above the middle of the tv, so for me it's perfect. I fabricated brackets for angling the speaker downward such that the centerline aims just above my head. The key change came when I raised the crossover frequency. Higher crossover frequency lowers where the sound is perceived to be coming from.

The Focus has wall mount brackets for angled or flat wall mounting.

Attachments

• FocusWallMount.jpg
    FocusWallMount.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 12
thats a lot of into to absorb, I will call the support for specs, I havent tested any other center and this works wonders for me for now till "I taste blood" :)

Latest posts

Back