ML Ascent Amplifier

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hester24

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have just become an extremely exited owner of a set of ML Ascent speakers. I am very new to the high end home audio world and need some help. I currently have a set of older Paradigm towers and Yamaha amp that were handed down to me but have always loved the electrostatic speakers. So before I walk into the magnolia store and spend way too much money buying what they say I need, could you guys recommend what amp and pre amp you guys would use? Much appreciated!

I don't have one, but people speak highly of Anthem.
https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=amplifier
I use a Aragon 2 channel to drive my Prodigy speakers and then an 11 channel Marantz for Atmos sound in my home theater. I use the home theater for 2 channel music listening too. Feeding the Aragon through the outputs from the Marantz receiver.

There is a good thread on here about choosing an amp. The main thing they say is for the amp to double its power when rating from 8 ohms down to 4 ohms.

Ok so I visited the magnolia store today and I think I narrowed it down to the Marantz model 30 integrated or Arcam SA30 integrated.
Decision based on that they were both in my price range. Any thoughts?

What does class g do different on electrostats?
Well, ive never owned one and did not read through all of that information in the post. You might want to read up on it. Hopefully someone on here might be able to tell us if class G is good for electrostats. Im pretty sure that class D are not recommended for electrostats, but im not sure. Pretty sure they will all work, its just a matter of how they will sound.

Im partial to the class A/B. Class A is supposed to sound the best but ive never owned one.

I would consider the Parasound Halo Hint 6 integrated amp, which has plenty of features and comes in at $2999. I would also consider going with separates, because it makes the upgrade path easier.

So decided to hook up the speakers to my old Yamaha amp today so I can start listening while I decide on an amp. But to my surprise the left speaker sounds SUPER dull and flat compared to the right. It sounds horrible! What the heck can I do. I sent an email to Martin Logan to see if they could help me too.
If I set the balance knob to the 10 o’clock position it helps but just doesn’t have that bright crisp sound. It just kind of dulls the right side to match the left. I’m so frustrated! Any help would be appreciated.

Also this Yamaha amp sound amazing on my paradigm speakers. So I know it’s not the amp.

So decided to hook up the speakers to my old Yamaha amp today so I can start listening while I decide on an amp. But to my surprise the left speaker sounds SUPER dull and flat compared to the right. It sounds horrible! What the heck can I do. I sent an email to Martin Logan to see if they could help me too.
If I set the balance knob to the 10 o’clock position it helps but just doesn’t have that bright crisp sound. It just kind of dulls the right side to match the left. I’m so frustrated! Any help would be appreciated.

Also this Yamaha amp sound amazing on my paradigm speakers. So I know it’s not the amp.
The panels eventually need to be replaced. I own a used pair of Prodigy speakers that were made in 2000. I finally replaced the panels on them last year. It sounds amazing now. Both of mine were like you describe, but by using Audyssey on my receiver it made them sound good. It basically took most of the bass out of the woofers to balance it out I think. At the time I didnt know that panels aged like that because I was new to ML. I owned them for about 6 years or so like that before I replaced them.

So since you already own them, you need to contact Martin Logan and see what the price is for a new pair of panels. It shouldnt be too bad for those. My Prodigy panels were about $3000, but those are a lot bigger than what you have I think.

There is also a good thread on here about washing the panels. It shows you how to do it. One member just did it and said his panels sound great now. He used simple green on them. Prior to him doing that I had been told thats a bad idea, but it seemed to work for him. Maybe some of the guys that have washed them will come on here and share some info with you.

I did not try washing mine. I just went ahead and bought new ones. Either way, youll have to take the panels off the speaker frames. You can contact ML for the instructions on how to take them off, or maybe someone on here might have that for you. ML is very nice about giving out info. The best way to reach ML now I think is by email. I want to say the guy youll talk with is named Roger, but my memory for names is crap. Hes very good to deal with.

The panels eventually need to be replaced. I own a used pair of Prodigy speakers that were made in 2000. I finally replaced the panels on them last year. It sounds amazing now. Both of mine were like you describe, but by using Audyssey on my receiver it made them sound good. It basically took most of the bass out of the woofers to balance it out I think. At the time I didnt know that panels aged like that because I was new to ML. I owned them for about 6 years or so like that before I replaced them.

So since you already own them, you need to contact Martin Logan and see what the price is for a new pair of panels. It shouldnt be too bad for those. My Prodigy panels were about $3000, but those are a lot bigger than what you have I think.

There is also a good thread on here about washing the panels. It shows you how to do it. One member just did it and said his panels sound great now. He used simple green on them. Prior to him doing that I had been told thats a bad idea, but it seemed to work for him. Maybe some of the guys that have washed them will come on here and share some info with you.

I did not try washing mine. I just went ahead and bought new ones. Either way, youll have to take the panels off the speaker frames. You can contact ML for the instructions on how to take them off, or maybe someone on here might have that for you. ML is very nice about giving out info. The best way to reach ML now I think is by email. I want to say the guy youll talk with is named Roger, but my memory for names is crap. Hes very good to deal with.
Thank you so much! I sent them an email so we’ll see what they say. Hopefully someone can chime in on the washing and how to disassemble them. I’d have no problem trying to do that.

Before you go and toss your old panels I'd take a really close look at the diagraphs and see how dirty they are. When they get old and have a buildup of junk on them they don't perform as they should.

Check out the shower cleaning thread before you dump thousands into new panels.

Latest posts

Back