ML Acquired by ShoreView Industries??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
HUH?!?! Just stumbled upon this blurb from the Audiophile Audition website...
http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=846

Martin Logan Acquired by ShoreView - High-end speaker manufacturer Martin Logan Ltd., makers of 14 hybrid electrostatic/dynamic speakers and four subwoofers, has been acquired by ShoreView Industries Inc., who also recently acquired Paradigm Electronics Inc., a second home audio products company. ShoreView is based in Minneapolis and invests in a wide range of middle-market companies operating in North America.

Is this for real? Does this portend Gayle Sanders "exit plan"???

Interesting find........I just hate no author articles though.

sleepysurf said:
Martin Logan Acquired by ShoreView - High-end speaker manufacturer Martin Logan Ltd., makers of 14 hybrid electrostatic/dynamic speakers and four subwoofers, has been acquired by ShoreView Industries Inc., who also recently acquired Paradigm Electronics Inc., a second home audio products company. ShoreView is based in Minneapolis and invests in a wide range of middle-market companies operating in North America.
Jeez, this reminds me a lot of what happened to Museatex (Ed Meitner's high-end electronics company). They were bought by A/D/S and continued for a while - and a few components (including a car amp!) came out from A/D/S with "designed by Ed Meitner" written on them - but eventually A/D/S didn't really know what to do with the line and the whole thing fizzled out.

sigh.

maybe i better get those CLS panels sooner rather than later...

I've never been good at understanding these corporate takeover things. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? They're not trying to eliminate ML are they? :( :confused:

I hope Gayle did right by us...

sleepysurf said:
HUH?!?! Just stumbled upon this blurb from the Audiophile Audition website...
http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=846

Is this for real? Does this portend Gayle Sanders "exit plan"???

sleepysurf,

I only hope that Gayle did right by us, ML owners / enthusists... :eek:
I just hope the parent 'ShoreView' company, does not try to in anyway lower the high quality, we are a custom to expect from ML products and service... :eek:

Cheers

-Robin

I hope they dont go to the way side and do what Carver did, when they went public , he was just a name and eventually thier products suffered and were sold at mass market stores :confused:

I think it is an end of an era guys. This company probably knows nothing about loudspeakers and everything about making stockholders happy. If only Harmon International or API had bought ML.

Last edited:
I'm starting to creap out over this, someone tell me it's a mistake.

C.A.P said:
I hope they dont go to the way side and do what Carver did, when they went public , he was just a name and eventually thier products suffered and were sold at mass market stores :confused:

ML already did that with Ultimate Electronics and now with Best Buy's new 'store within a store' thing.

I really really really hope this isnt an end of an era. I'm saving up for the Vantage and I hope in 2 years (when I buy a pair) ML will still be the same good ol' ML that we all know and love.

I hope Gayle still has say in the speaker production. :(

Shoreview Industries

I visited the Shoreview Industries site......and they're nothing but an investment company, an investment company for a veeeerrry wide array of industries.

With this in mind, I can't imagine any managment changes going on at Martin Logan, although I don't see any huge advancements in speaker design either.....at least ones that require capital.

Too bad. :(

oh no, oh no, oh no, OH NO!!!

this is scaring me, I LOVE logans, and honestly I dont' know of another electrostatic speaker that fit my requirements:

sure there's soundlab, but they are just too big. innersound? flat panel means a sweet spot like a vice. audiostatic? too far away, wouldn't know what to do if i ever needed repair or service. who else is there???

:( :( :(

Great!!! What a timing on my part as I just switched over to ML's from Aerials. Hopefully the new company will not meddle with day to day operations at ML. We all have to keep our fingers crossed.

Is this really some kind of suprise to you guys......I've seen this coming for some time now. The "cheapening" of the entire line, selling at best buy stores of all places. I know some of you put Mr Sanders on such a high pedistal, well I don't, so maybe Mr Sanders can post a reply here as to this developement. My guess is he won't because its a lot easier to take the money and run.....it seems to be the American way! So go ahead and flame away folks as I will not be back on this site again.

Dan

A sad point of view...

DanR said:
Is this really some kind of suprise to you guys......I've seen this coming for some time now. The "cheapening" of the entire line, selling at best buy stores of all places. I know some of you put Mr Sanders on such a high pedistal, well I don't, so maybe Mr Sanders can post a reply here as to this developement. My guess is he won't because its a lot easier to take the money and run.....it seems to be the American way! So go ahead and flame away folks as I will not be back on this site again.

Dan
Tom,

I don't think we flame people on the ML Club, we never would stoop that low... Tom, you are wonderful about stopping that kind of thing.

Tom, IMHO, I think you have given us (and maintain) a marvalous ML Club site. The ML Club is just a wonderful forum, full of excellent ideas and communication. I love this site. I think folks here are knowledgalbe, kind, open-minded and very sensible... :)

So, having said all that, I respectfully disagree with DanR's post, and leave it at that... It's his loss that he won't be back... :rolleyes:

Cheers

-Robin

I disagree with DanR as well.

Has anyone else heard word from the ML folks themselves? Tom?

I really hope SV Industries leaves ML to focus on what they do best - and that is to create awesome speakers. My heart has been set on Logans for so long that it will be real hard for me to go anywhere else.

Dang it.... and on Turkey Day too.... :( .

Edit:
I just emailed ML... we'll see if they respond.

Last edited:
Bob Carver just sold his company Sunfire a moth or two ago, and the release said Bob would stay with the company and nothing would change, but the change would give Sunfire more funding to invest in bigger and better products.

I don’t think Worlds best-known producer of Electrostatic speakers is going any were. The company’s interests may change but we will see. I would expect to see a press release on this from ML real soon.

Robin: I also agree with you. I hope the main focus stays with the quality and new developement of the products and that unbelievable ML sound. We shouldn't always think in the negative at first. Lets get the facts together and then plan a course of action. I am still satisfied I listen to the best sounding speaker around. Thats why I bought them in the first place. Lets hang tight members.

Latest posts

Back