ML Acquired by ShoreView Industries??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run my own forums, and I'm not below flaming someone. DanR, you're nothing more than a troll. Are you angry at your mother? That's really the only reason I can think someone could be such an ass on Thanksgiving.

If everyone would like to check DanR's previous posts, you'd see that he's really had nothing positive to contribute yet to this place. Mostly just him throwing his all-important opinion around. Kind-of like a used car salesman on his last day at the lot.

I'll always be a ML fan, content in knowing that people like DanR aren't. :p

No company is the same after being acquired. If we're lucky this could be one of those few times where the company gets better after being acquired.

(I've often wondered whether ML's product line isn't too broad. That's one of the things I'll be watching about these new owners - which part of the product range they will be emphasizing.)

jfm said:
No company is the same after being acquired.

While very generalized, this statement can be viewed two different ways. Some companies have improved after purchase due to a brand new influx of "deep pockets", while some companies have floundered due to the "tickering" the new company does.

We all need to just wait and see what happens. Making drastic or "off the deep end" decisions prior to knowing what will happen is not a smart thing to do. While very easy, this just excites more hysteria and hype.

While we all hope the new procurement will add "deeper pockets" to ML, we really have nothing else to do but wait.

Dan

McIntosh did pretty good after being bought out (seven years ago?) - just one good example.

A rational approach...

DTB300 said:
While very generalized, this statement can be viewed two different ways. Some companies have improved after purchase due to a brand new influx of "deep pockets", while some companies have floundered due to the "tickering" the new company does.

We all need to just wait and see what happens. Making drastic or "off the deep end" decisions prior to knowing what will happen is not a smart thing to do. While very easy, this just excites more hysteria and hype.

While we all hope the new procurement will add "deeper pockets" to ML, we really have nothing else to do but wait.

Dan
Dan,

I agree with you. All we can do, at this point in time, is watch ML carefully, hope for the best, and wait and see... :eek: I appreciate your objective, rational, and calm approach to this situation.

Thank you

-Robin

jfm said:
(I've often wondered whether ML's product line isn't too broad. That's one of the things I'll be watching about these new owners - which part of the product range they will be emphasizing.)

You could argue the same thing about Mercedes. They have the AMG edition with is the culmination of millions of dollars of research -(think Statement e2), and then they have the two-door hatchback-(Montage). Each series still ultimately has to pass some tests inorder for it to get the Star on the hood.

Last edited:
you know the drill

Money rich companies scouts successfull company. Gayle has been at this for for around thirty years. They approach him and offer a price way beyond what the compay is worth. Gayle feels he has gone as far he can go.They buy company looking for a quick profit. They slash costs reduce the number of employees... there is not much money to be made selling to audiphiles.
We are a pain in ass. :p undefined

kach22i said:
McIntosh did pretty good after being bought out (seven years ago?) - just one good example.

I've heard just the opposite, since McIntosh is now owned by the Japanese car stereo manufacturer Clarion.

The fact of the matter is that Gayle had probably taken the Electrostatic panel further than any body has ;however he also can forsee the way of all high end audio , it is as we dont want to talk about it a dying art and slowly going to the way side of multi media systems , his ideas on the panel has hit a plateau and seem to be leveling off, granted he has came out with a new strut system for the panel (transparent) but it is the same mylar stretched between the same type of grid system . with a redesigned cabinet structure , this time he has relized the benifits of powerd subs and built them into his design., I am not bashing ML but lets face it a pair of properly set up CLS panels(that are 20yrs old) and a good sub sound as good as any thing out today. (remember I said properly) I have my new Quest panels and am tremendously happy with them(lets hope the 5 yr waranty still exists ) they are the best I have had ! and I have had , big Maggies and Carvers, and custom active x-overs with several powerd subs, and many box designs too. This is a prime example of technology finally catching up with it self, it works and works well , but what else can you do to realy change the line.The Logans are not a big time seller for the masses. companies and people are $ orientated, it is our nature. So if Gayle seen the future as I do , good for him and thank you for years of excelent products and congrats on making a profit on your sale . as kenny Rogers said " you got to know when to hold em and know when to fold them "

Maybe this aquisition will be as successful as what happened with Anthem/Paradigm.

vinodk said:
Maybe this aquisition will be as successful as what happened with Anthem/Paradigm.
Didn't they kill off the high end Sonic Frontiers line, and keep Anthem on as a Home Theater line?

SugarMedia said:
I've heard just the opposite, since McIntosh is now owned by the Japanese car stereo manufacturer Clarion.
That explains the car stereo with a McIntosh name plate, but does not explain the classic reissues (Marantz included), plus a FULL line of new products being offered on a regular basis.

Let me offer an alternative, albeit overly optomistic perspective. Private equity firms only make investments in assets which provide potential for pretty hefty returns. These firms will only look at an opportunity that can generate returns of 30-40%ish on their invested capital. Compare that with S&P type market returns and one can easily conclude that if private equity firms wanted less risky/rewarding investments, they could park their funds elsewhere.

Looking around Shorview's website, it appears that these guys invest in market leader type products of given industries. Moreover, they don't invest in deep cyclical companies that are commodity sensitive which certainly impacts the consistency of margins. Think about transportation companies and how the cost of energy/fuel impacts their net income. I don't think that speaker components are deeply cylical. What does this mean for M/L?

There is no question that this provides Mr. Sanders with his own potential exit strategy; however, would Shorview invest their investors capital in a declining asset. For the best private equity firms, they typically leave the management team in place. Remember, these guys are trying to make money. I seriously doubt this is an investment in a company where a tremndous disconnect exists such that they would begin selling off pieces as a way to unlock value in ML's business. My take is this, how many high end electrostat manufacturers exist. You can count them on one hand. How many high end electrostat manufacturers have a broad product line with signifiacnt distrobution capabilities? You can count them on one finger. Ultimately, only time will tell how this aquisition effects model development and research. Sorry for the long winded banter. Just trying to offer an alternative perspective. It might not be as bad as some might think.

I have been away on vacation for the Thanksgiving holiday and this is my first visit back to the site in a couple of weeks so you have not seen any posts from me as of late. Coming back and reading this thread certainly is not what I wanted to see but I won't go as far as to say it was unexpected. I have my long awaited Ascent i's and personally am delighted with my purchase. Each day of listening has been better than the day before. As I posted once before, this reminds me of when Polk Audio diversified into the car stereo realm and contracted with the "big box" retailers and went "mainstream". I am sure that we all remember that movie line "Show me da money!" I cannot even begin to think of discrediting Mr. Sanders for this move. This is how things work in the business world. I for one, will sit back and continue to enjoy my MLs and whatever happens with ML, happens. It really doesn't matter since the product that I own is highly regarded and any future changes in the ML line to the contrary will only serve to make my Ascent i's that much more legendary. This is coming from a guy that recently sold his Polk SDA-1's for $400.00 more than what they were purchased for back in the mid 80's. If this is, in fact, true, then I wish Mr. Sanders all of the best and I hope he enjoys the fruits of his years of labor. He gave (I had to pay for them but you know what I mean) me the speakers that I so much enjoy and will for many years to come, and I thank him for that. :cool:

vinodk said:
Great!!! What a timing on my part as I just switched over to ML's from Aerials. Hopefully the new company will not meddle with day to day operations at ML. We all have to keep our fingers crossed.

Hey!
I wonder what will 'happen' regarding spare parts and replacement panels? I hope for the best!
Should I order some 'fresh' panels for my Sequel II's now...or..?

Sincerely...
Nilau

I got an email back from Logan...

---
Dear Joey,

Thank you for your interest in the continued excellence of MartinLogan. While
it is true that the company has been sold, this will in no way negatively impact
the quality of product and service our valued customers have come to expect and
rely on. In fact, our new ownership is providing MartinLogan with additional
resources to grow to the next level and reach our full potential.

Be reassured that the MartinLogan team is still here and is still committed to
providing the highest quality sound systems and service support.

Thank you for your loyalty and happy listening!
Amy Saker
---

Soooo.... looks like it will still be good times for Logan owners!! :)

Meanwhile Gayle Sanders could not be reached for comment.
luxury_yatch.jpg

Just kidding, just kidding. :D

Back