Mixing ML and Klipsch

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowrider

Reaction score
This is my First Post to these forums. Hello Folks.

Now my Issue. I hope I'm doing the right thing here. I bought a home theater system last week. I don't have the components yet. It consists of a Denon 85 watt per channel 7.1 receiver, Klipsch RF82s for the sides, and a Martin Logan Vignette for the center. I will be bi-amping the RF82s, and not using a sub or rear speakers, Just the front ones. In the store (Magnolia) we auditioned the system, and to compensate for the inefficiency of the Martin Logan, we increased the volume by 6db on the center channel. I know the Vignette is not sonically the same as the Klipsch, but it sounds so good on the upper end, and seemed go with the RF82s. In the sound room it sounded great.

What do you folks think? Let me have it - PLEASE!!!

Thank You

Lou

I'm using Klipsch Quintets as my rears just because HT is not that important to me.. My Denon AVR4800 has the levels for each channel and I adjusted the rears to a higher level than my ML Mains and center and it sounds just fine to my ears.

With that being said, I must also say that before I got my ML Cinema, I had a Klipsch center and it was HORRIBLY different sounding from my reQuests. I tried to mess with the output levels, etc. and it just never sounded quite right.

Obviously ESLs match best with ESLs. Since the Vignette is an ATF driver, I'm not sure how good that will match with your mains... probably better than an ESL as your center, but not as good as a Klipsch center...

Of course you should immediately ditch your mains in favor of Logans!! :)

TomDac said:
Of course you should immediately ditch your mains in favor of Logans!! :)

Even though Tom said that partially in jest....as a former Klipsch Reference 7 series fan now converted to ML, I heartily agree with that comment.

If you are looking at a long term solution, don't buy the Vignette since you will be disappointed by the timber mismatch. If you are looking long term now, get a Klipsch center channel to match your L-R speakers.

I concur with both Jerry and Tom, I too was a former owner of an RF/RC-7 setup. I thought while the abilities of the Klipsch are excellent for HT they never worked for me when it came to two channel, which is my primary interest. FWIW, I'm presently using a Fresco for my center channel along with my Vantage's and they integrate just fine .

This is my First Post to these forums. Hello Folks.

Now my Issue. I hope I'm doing the right thing here. I bought a home theater system last week. I don't have the components yet. It consists of a Denon 85 watt per channel 7.1 receiver, Klipsch RF82s for the sides, and a Martin Logan Vignette for the center. I will be bi-amping the RF82s, and not using a sub or rear speakers, Just the front ones. In the store (Magnolia) we auditioned the system, and to compensate for the inefficiency of the Martin Logan, we increased the volume by 6db on the center channel. I know the Vignette is not sonically the same as the Klipsch, but it sounds so good on the upper end, and seemed go with the RF82s. In the sound room it sounded great.

What do you folks think? Let me have it - PLEASE!!!

Thank You

Lou

As a long term Klipsch fan and a current owner of some of their stuff, I have had lots of fun matching my Klipsch Heritage with my Summits. I must say that you are far better off with Martin Logan main speakers and using Klipsch as the centre and surrounds rather than the other way around. I am not saying that to denigrate Klipsch - it's just that the ML's don't work as well when they have to play second string to Klipsch. You just can't get the system to match properly.

So I reckon you should consider trading your RF-82's for ML's mains say Aeon i's or something bigger. You'll never look back. You could then use Klipsch rears - I probably wouldn't bother with a centre unless you always sit off centre.

Latest posts

Back