Missing bass punch on Quest?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats the spirit! I paid for quite a few years here in Florida. Just too hot to mess with.
Sometimes I feel quite plebian when mowing my yard and my neighbors have a big commercial mower doing their yard in like 10 minutes. An hour later im done.:p I still like to do it.

Just an update: It may be coincidental but two days ago my Power Amplifier (Mark Levinson 333) significantly distorted on the left channel. I dropped it off at the authorized service station (that did a major update two years ago) and also mentioned the bass punch issue. So let's see if they find something....I will keep you posted.
Re my ears: Yes, I understand that will age your ability to recognize higher frequencies diminishes, but I do not think the same is true for bass. Case in point: If I listen to my AV system (with active subwoofer) I have no problem noticing the bass punch.
And yes: I have a battery-powered lawn mower too....

Agosto, when you get your amp back, can you get a list of what they replaced? It would be very interesting to know. I'm sure it will be back to 100% soon.

Update: Ok it took a while to get my power amp back from service. Got it last week. Some power supply issues but they also replaced the large filter caps (expensive!) which seem to improve the bass situation. Still too early for me to render a final verdict but I am hopeful. And I always need to remind myself that there is a huge bandwidth of recording quality ultimately responsible in a lot of cases for poor bass performance. One of my recent reference points for bass performance is "Abdullah Ibrahim: Cape Town revisited"

Yes the amp is good now! I am still not perfectly happy with the lower bass punch and probably I never was (in other words: The speaker did most likely not deteriorate, but it is me being more focused on the issue).
On an experimental approach I temporarily installed an active subwoofer (I know I know...) from my AV system (Anthony Gallo Acoustics). I set the cut off frequency to the lowest level (40Hz) and adjusted the volume starting from zero. At around 20% level I reached a very acceptable lower bass performance and while I am still testing the set up I think this is the way to go for me. Yes, there are most likely much better subwoofer options out there but so far it sounds good to me...I am aware of the fact that a correct adaptation of a subwoofer to the speaker is very difficult and perhaps never perfect.
Would be great to hear some opinions or other experiences with the Quest plus subwoofer.

Hi I had the Quest and ML 336 and then ML 436, never worked, they never had the current. The only time I got my quest bass beautiful was with Bryston 28Bs, for what it is worth.

Interesting! I appreciate your input. I used to run the Quest on ML 23.5 before - same result. While I am aware of the shortcomings of an external subwoofer I have to say that I am quite pleased with the result so far. Searching through the archive of this site it seems that I am not the only one not really satisfied with the low pass punch of the Quest. So I guess I leave it with that...in absence of the opportunity to sample other power amplifiers. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back