Missing bass punch on Quest?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I told you I spent much times to try many other capacitors, no one gives you the same sound for the same value ! And bass will come too present. So I came back to original ERSE capacitors. Do not imagine anything about the crossovers.. I give you there Request and prodigy shematic dia

Sorry... Please find attached the schematic crossover diagrams of these two discontined models

Attachments

• FILTRE QUEST Z.jpg
    FILTRE QUEST Z.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Martin-logan prodigy schematics rev 1 - copie.pdf
    49.4 KB · Views: 14
As I told you I spent much times to try many other capacitors, no one gives you the same sound for the same value ! And bass will come too present. So I came back to original ERSE capacitors. Do not imagine anything about the crossovers.. I give you there Request and prodigy shematic dia

And as I told you, I have been doing crossover upgrades for years, 25+ years in fact, and have never had any bad results from them.

And pointless looking at the schematics when I don't have the actual crossovers in front of me to see what's what, the values and to trace it out.

I just asked a simple question and apparently hit a nerve.

Chops, you raised valid questions: No new furniture, no changed listening position, no changed speaker position, no new gear. I do not have tubes in my chain, and my equipment is mostly Mark Levinson, twenty plus years old. The missing bass punch is not related to the source, as I tested it with various digital and analog sources. Perhaps it is just me getting old....

Chops, you raised valid questions: No new furniture, no changed listening position, no changed speaker position, no new gear. I do not have tubes in my chain, and my equipment is mostly Mark Levinson, twenty plus years old. The missing bass punch is not related to the source, as I tested it with various digital and analog sources. Perhaps it is just me getting old....

Was the change in bass sudden, or did you notice it over a period of time? Have you had your hearing tested lately?

Sorry for more questions. I'm just trying to help figure out the issue. I wish I had a good solid answer for you.

If all else fails, maybe try out a subwoofer in the system and see if that helps. Maybe you can borrow one from a friend or an in-house trial from the local audio shop?

Yeah, I was wondering about loss in hearing. Loss is usually up in higher frequencies. I know mine has been. The doctor told me mine was the most common, higher frequencies.

You could get a hearing test by an ear, nose, throat doctor like I did. Maybe some forms have loss in low frequencies? Some people just have a bunch of wax in their ears that can be cleaned out and that produces great results.

The hearing tests are pretty revealing, it produces a graph that shows your hearing response across the spectrum of frequencies.

My father actually has a decent amount of hearing loss in the upper frequencies as well as lower frequencies, due to years and years of tuning pipe organs. A lot of the reed stops run on much higher wind pressures and can be brutally loud, especially when they're literally right in your face while you're tuning them. I know, I've done a fair amount of tuning in my day as well, but nowhere near as much as my father.

Fortunately, my hearing is still fine. I can still easily hear that 16 kHz from the flyback on old tube televisions across several rooms with the doors closed. Not that there's too many of those types of TV/monitors around these days, but there's a few at my work for part of the surveillance system.

Yes, my father's is most likely due to age alone. He is 80 after all, and he noticed this increasing loss the past couple of years. The Dr said there's really nothing wrong with his inner ear , etc, etc, but age can be a cause of low frequency loss.

@Chops: I started using my system extensively again last year after a few years of only occasional listening. That's when I discovered the missing bass punch. I also agree that age brings along loss of the ability to hear upper frequencies and I am not yet "really old" (59). So I guess I keep experimenting - I am going to use the subwoofer from my AV system to see if that is going to make a difference.

@Chops: I started using my system extensively again last year after a few years of only occasional listening. That's when I discovered the missing bass punch. I also agree that age brings along loss of the ability to hear upper frequencies and I am not yet "really old" (59). So I guess I keep experimenting - I am going to use the subwoofer from my AV system to see if that is going to make a difference.
Are you running any kind of digital processing on the system? I use Audyssey and found that I think it was reducing the bass from my Prodigy woofers to compensate for the lower output of the panels. My panels were both down more than 10 db or so. When running the audyssey it sounded good but I noticed that the speakers werent putting out much bass at all. All of the bass was coming from my sub. Maybe you have something like that going on? When I ran my speakers with Audyssey turned off they sounded like crap. All bass and no treble.

@Robert: No, I am not using digital processing. I used analog and digital sources when doing my tests. Thanks for asking.

@Robert: No, I am not using digital processing. I used analog and digital sources when doing my tests. Thanks for asking.
Im only 50 and have hearing loss. It wouldnt hurt to get your's checked out. Seeing that it is the end of the year, if you have had any other medical expenses this year it may make the visit inexpensive too. We hit our deductible way back in May. Not sure if you have any symptoms of hearing loss. With me I have tinnitus. I think I played my music too loud as a teenager and some loud concerts did me in. Mine is all high fequency.

My loss the doctor said wasnt bad enough to require hearing aids. The constant ringing in my ears sucks, but after awhile you just block it out and forget about it. Not much you can do for it.

Ive learned that the new digital hearing aids have different modes you can put them in. I think a lot of them have a mode for music, because other modes amplify the frequency range for human voices and you dont want that unnatural emphasis on music. So the new tech is great for music from what I understand.

The doctor I saw basically emphasized that damage accumulates over the years as you age, and things as simple as the lawn mower and blender cause damage. He suggested I wear ear muffs while I mow the grass.

I also think it is your ear/brain function. You stated that you were only listening occasionally and then when you started using the system a lot more you noticed the loss of bass. I think your memory of the bass may be faulty, but I'm not sure of course! I would recommend a good sub with full adjustments unless your preamp has full sub adjustability, You want to be able to adjust the sub for different frequencies. You may find that a tiny boost to the lower, mid or upper range may fix the whole problem. I have found that setting a crossover for the sub higher than the recommended 80hz gives MUCH better bass and quality of music. Currently I'm sending everything from 120 hz and below to the sub. Some of the guys are up to 180hz and lower to the sub. I think you may find a fix playing around and testing it with the sub. Good Luck and let us know if you get it fixed how you want it.

I also think it is your ear/brain function. You stated that you were only listening occasionally and then when you started using the system a lot more you noticed the loss of bass. I think your memory of the bass may be faulty, but I'm not sure of course! I would recommend a good sub with full adjustments unless your preamp has full sub adjustability, You want to be able to adjust the sub for different frequencies. You may find that a tiny boost to the lower, mid or upper range may fix the whole problem. I have found that setting a crossover for the sub higher than the recommended 80hz gives MUCH better bass and quality of music. Currently I'm sending everything from 120 hz and below to the sub. Some of the guys are up to 180hz and lower to the sub. I think you may find a fix playing around and testing it with the sub. Good Luck and let us know if you get it fixed how you want it.
Sometimes even setting the mains to "small" works better.

The doctor I saw basically emphasized that damage accumulates over the years as you age, and things as simple as the lawn mower and blender cause damage. He suggested I wear ear muffs while I mow the grass.

Or you could do what I did and get a "digital" mower. LOL Cordless that is. :alien: (y)

Im only 50 and have hearing loss. It wouldnt hurt to get your's checked out. Seeing that it is the end of the year, if you have had any other medical expenses this year it may make the visit inexpensive too. We hit our deductible way back in May. Not sure if you have any symptoms of hearing loss. With me I have tinnitus. I think I played my music too loud as a teenager and some loud concerts did me in. Mine is all high fequency.

My loss the doctor said wasnt bad enough to require hearing aids. The constant ringing in my ears sucks, but after awhile you just block it out and forget about it. Not much you can do for it.

Ive learned that the new digital hearing aids have different modes you can put them in. I think a lot of them have a mode for music, because other modes amplify the frequency range for human voices and you dont want that unnatural emphasis on music. So the new tech is great for music from what I understand.

Robert I'm sure your doc told you that most folks at 50 have begun the slope downward with respect to hearing. So when you see some old fart(like me) trying to convince someone they can hear the full audible freq range it is laughable.

As for mowing my lawn, I have a zero turn so you bet I wear hearing protection !

Latest posts

Back