Michigan - Get together?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
I think we have at least six people in Michigan posting on a regular basis. There has been talk of a "get together". When and where is the question.

News:
I called Almas HI-Fi in Dearborn, they just close the Dearborn store (Woody left). However, they have just leased a large space next to their Royal Oak store - and intend to expand (Woodward Ave). One location, kind of a super-store (a last stand?).

FYI:
Almas (local Martin Logan Dealer) will be getting their first Summit and Vantage models in three to five weeks (just after Christmas), but just a few as demand is high, production low. Once they think stock can keep up with demand they will have an open house to demonstrate the newer models. No set dates yet, Late Feburary, early March.

I can wait until March to you meet some of you. However, if anyone feels the need to host a listening session before then, please speak up now. My house is not set up to host more than a couple of people over (Ann Arbor), and I need to give my wife lots of warning.

Last edited:
I'm up for something. March or before doesn't matter to me.

My system is in my finished basement big enough for a group. Although my rig is probably not up to the standards of others (still in mid fi slowly moving to hi fi and unfortuneatly no vinyl capability). In addition, I have 3 young kids, so any listening session would probably best occur when they are not home, which needs a lot of advanced planning. It's an option.

Boy, I'd like to hear the Summits, not that I'll ever be able to afford them.

The last time (which was last summer) I was at the Dearborn Alma's it was in pretty sad shape. The place was pretty dumpy. I haven't been to the Royal Oak store since they have remodeled. I tried to order a stand for my Cinema from the RO store, again last summer. But they had some credit issues with ML (explained to me by one of the owners) and embarressingly had to refund my money (no new ML product until bills are paid). They must have taken care of their financial situation.

Tough times, I picked up my Aerius speakers when they first came out in 1992 from the Almas "Rochester" location. They closed that, then they closed the location on Orchard Lake Road (West Bloomfield) which I though would never happen. I've had an issue with their service department which lead me to dealing directly with the owner - a good guy. However the last service department issue I gave up and did it myself with the aid of the great Jim Power of M/L.

I bought my original Adcom GFP 555II, GFA 535 and a Phillips TV from Alma's in Rochester back in the early 90's when I got out of school and got a job (only the TV remains in service, ebay'ed the other 2). The Rochester store had a fire that they never recovered from. I live 5 minutes, if that, from downtown Rochester near Bloomer Park if your familiar with that area.

I bought my Adcom GFA 5800 from the Orchard Lake store in 94 or 95 and still use it today. I had a feeling that store closed down but didn't know for sure.

In the late the 89-90 time frame I used to go into the Rochester store to stare (open mouthed and wide eyed without blinking) at the Sequels. I told myself from that first time that I would end up with speakers like those. It only took me, what, almost 15 years to finally get my SL3's. I miss wandering around that store.

Party in Michigan - Martin Logan style...

kach22i said:
I think we have at least six people in Michigan posting on a regular basis. There has been talk of a "get together". When and where is the question.

I can wait until March to you meet some of you. However, if anyone feels the need to host a listening session before then, please speak up now. My house is not set up to host more than a couple of people over (Ann Arbor), and I need to give my wife lots of warning.
kach22i and Kruppy,

I hope you Michigan boys can get together sometime soon... :D ML owners have so much in common. Good for you, making an attempt and trying to arrange it... I hope it all works out for you guys. Please let us know how your event goes. Good luck and have a blast, in true ML style... :D

Cheers

-Robin

If you guys do set up a date and time, I might be able to arrange a business trip. That is, if you would let an Indiana guy be involved.. :eek:

I would need to know at least 2 weeks ahead of time and my travels are during the work week. If you are planning a weekend, that would be tuff for me. Just a thought. :cool:

MarkNewbie said:
I would need to know at least 2 weeks ahead of time
That would put it the week before Christmas, I don't have kids - no problem here.

Like I said, I have to check with my wife first, but a couple of people should be no problem. I used to have friends over twice a year for this kind of thing, but they have all moved away in the past couple of years.

kach22i said:
That would put it the week before Christmas, I don't have kids - no problem here.

Like I said, I have to check with my wife first, but a couple of people should be no problem. I used to have friends over twice a year for this kind of thing, but they have all moved away in the past couple of years.

Sorry, when I said two weeks ahead of time, I was referring to scheduling and not a finite date. Hope that makes more sense? With the fast approach of the holidays, I figured that you were talking sometime after the first of the year which would be much easier for me to accomodate. I apologize for the confusion.

Last edited:
Things are getting booked up the week before X-mas for me.

I have family coming in from northern MI and Alaska that week. The week in-between X-mas and New Years the family and I are heading up north for some winter wonderland kind of fun.

After the new year is better for me.

Latest posts

Back