Michael McDonald and the DOOBIES were playing in my living room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
After about a week of listning to the new Quests (brand new panels) and finally getting the big KRELL fpb300c up and running ,and warmed up (literally) ,I thought I had the Doobies playing in my room,Michael McDonald's soulful voice emmenated from right in front of me, the bass from the Krell was so comanding that it was hard to believe these were panels , the mids were silky smooth and the soundstage was incredible , these speakers change the way you listen to music , THEY INVOLVE YOU!!! do your self a favor and get the remasterd Pink Floyd "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" and see how far the immages flow from the speakers . :D

I may play with a sub to see what else can be accomplished :rolleyes:

Congrats on the request's.

I can proudly say I have the re-mastered Dark side of the moon, I can say it is most defiantly a reference recording. Long live Pink Floyed :D

Zip3kx07 said:
Congrats on the request's.

I can proudly say I have the re-mastered Dark side of the moon, I can say it is most defiantly a reference recording. Long live Pink Floyed :D

Zip, it is that good, huh? I have read pro's and con's about this particular CD and haven't yet bought it. Who is singing, Rogers or Moore?

SugarMedia said:
Zip, it is that good, huh? I have read pro's and con's about this particular CD and haven't yet bought it. Who is singing, Rogers or Moore?

Get the MoFi Gold Disc Pink Floyd. There was a lot of hype over the SACD MCH version of this album, it was cutsie with the MCH mix, the MoFi still blows it away sonically.

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
Get to MoFi Gold Disc Pink Floyd. There was a lot of hype over the SACD MCH version of this album, it was cutsie with the MCH mix, the MoFi still blows it away sonically.

Dan
Hola, and congras with your new Quest sound!!!. It is good to know that everything is working fine. Welcome again, trust your ears! and happy listening,
Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

The SACD played on my player over and over during the break-in of my Ascent i's. It is one of the greatest recordings that I have and cannot tell you how many times I have listened to it. It was especially fun during break-in as changes in the speakers were so noticeable!

MarkNewbie said:
The SACD played on my player over and over during the break-in of my Ascent i's. It is one of the greatest recordings that I have and cannot tell you how many times I have listened to it.

Mark...

Are you refering to the album as a whole (recording) as a great album (which I would agree), or are you saying it is one of the best SACD sounding discs you own? If SACD, do you listen in 2CH or MCH?

Dan

DTB300 said:
Mark...

Are you refering to the album as a whole (recording) as a great album (which I would agree), or are you saying it is one of the best SACD sounding discs you own? If SACD, do you listen in 2CH or MCH?

Dan

Dan,

I would have to answer "both". It is one of my favorite albums of all time and one of my favorite SACDs. I listen to two(2) channel only. I cannot comment on it's MCH play because I have never heard it. I am a Scuba Diver and have listened to it while 60 feet down before. Was on a dive boat in Aruba that had two underwater speakers they would drop over the edge. The operators took requests by vote and everyone raised their hand when I suggested it. I have to say that it was the most pleasurable dive in my experience. The next dive they played Country and it was no where near as nice. Actually seemed like it scared the fish away...LOL :eek:

MarkNewbie said:
I would have to answer "both". It is one of my favorite albums of all time and one of my favorite SACDs. I listen to two(2) channel only.

Yes, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here are probably my two favorite Floyd albums. While the sonic quality of the SACD is not that great, the music is still very enjoyable..how many years later....25+???? That is the sign of a great album...Just wish they did a better job with the SACD, but who knows how good the original masters were. But then you look/hear at what MoFi did with their Gold Disc and this redbook version is better than the 2 CH SACD.

When talking about sonic quality and SACD, most rock albums, including DSOTM, just do not stack up against the Jazz and Classical releases. Now, there are Jazz and Classical SACD that are also poor, but in general most of the rock SACD just do not give justice to the SACD medium. Just my opinion...

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
Yes, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here are probably my two favorite Floyd albums. While the sonic quality of the SACD is not that great, the music is still very enjoyable..how many years later....25+???? That is the sign of a great album...Just wish they did a better job with the SACD, but who knows how good the original masters were. But then you look/hear at what MoFi did with their Gold Disc and this redbook version is better than the 2 CH SACD.

When talking about sonic quality and SACD, most rock albums, including DSOTM, just do not stack up against the Jazz and Classical releases. Now, there are Jazz and Classical SACD that are also poor, but in general most of the rock SACD just do not give justice to the SACD medium. Just my opinion...

Dan

I have DSOTM in vinyl as well. I don't have a turntable but have never thrown away any of my albums. I plan on one day buying a good turntable and then will get to experience vinyl (again) as well. Last one I owned was shortly after college and then CDs came out and I was quick to jump on the bandwagon. I have been trying to convert any CDs that I own to SACD if it is available. You make an excellent point as it seems that the Jazz SACDs I own are way better then their CD counterparts. I have not bought any classical yet as only on occasion do I listen to my classical CDs. Eventually, I will be converting them as well.

MarkNewbie said:
Dan,

I would have to answer "both". It is one of my favorite albums of all time and one of my favorite SACDs. I listen to two(2) channel only. I cannot comment on it's MCH play because I have never heard it. I am a Scuba Diver and have listened to it while 60 feet down before. Was on a dive boat in Aruba that had two underwater speakers they would drop over the edge. The operators took requests by vote and everyone raised their hand when I suggested it. I have to say that it was the most pleasurable dive in my experience. The next dive they played Country and it was no where near as nice. Actually seemed like it scared the fish away...LOL :eek:

A fellow diver! When I read that you'd listened to PF underwater at 60' I thought you had one of those underwated MP3 players I would have never guessed the boat would lower speakers into the water -- very cool. However, the country might be enough to make me consider aborting the dive.

Dennis

taylode said:
A fellow diver! When I read that you'd listened to PF underwater at 60' I thought you had one of those underwated MP3 players I would have never guessed the boat would lower speakers into the water -- very cool. However, the country might be enough to make me consider aborting the dive.

Dennis

I always wanted a tee shirt that said "Divers bottom out". :D Would you believe that the next day on the same boat, someone asked that they NOT play any music as they thought it was a distraction???? It was a couple and I asked them afterwards if they drove their car with the Radio on and they told me "Of course!". I kept my mouth shut but several of my fellow divers smiled or winked at me. Only other time I listened to music was a dive boat out of Key West, FL and they played mostly Buffet. Not as good as PF but still enjoyable. I was amazed at how well the sound travelled under the water. If your ever on a boat that has the underwater speakers, you have to have them use them. It is by far the most enjoyable diving I have done. One word of caution though. Be careful smiling. Too big a smile and you let water in around the mouthpiece of your regulator...LOL :eek:

MarkNewbie said:
I always wanted a tee shirt that said "Divers bottom out". :D Would you believe that the next day on the same boat, someone asked that they NOT play any music as they thought it was a distraction???? It was a couple and I asked them afterwards if they drove their car with the Radio on and they told me "Of course!". I kept my mouth shut but several of my fellow divers smiled or winked at me. Only other time I listened to music was a dive boat out of Key West, FL and they played mostly Buffet. Not as good as PF but still enjoyable. I was amazed at how well the sound travelled under the water. If your ever on a boat that has the underwater speakers, you have to have them use them. It is by far the most enjoyable diving I have done. One word of caution though. Be careful smiling. Too big a smile and you let water in around the mouthpiece of your regulator...LOL :eek:

LOL... If I'm on a boat the has underwater speakers I'll certainly ask them to play them. Regarding similing been there done that. I was laughing so hard I dam near spit the mouthpiece out. :D

Dennis

great feedback on the FLOYD , any other recomended cd,s from you all? :rolleyes:

C.A.P said:
great feedback on the FLOYD , any other recomended cd,s from you all? :rolleyes:

CD's work well as damping devices when placed on top of your components. Specially if you put them in the big caddies that come with blank CDR's. Personaly, I rarely listen to them. :D

jjqiv said:
CD's work well as damping devices when placed on top of your components. Specially if you put them in the big caddies that come with blank CDR's. Personaly, I rarely listen to them. :D

Didnt ask you if you listen to them or whats your favorite medium to listen to! as I personally like the ease of use of them and do feel that they do have thier downfalls, that being said , thier attributes definately outweigh thier downfalls, ;) as to lp,s if thats what you were refering to ,lp,s would not make it in my house , with my kids enjoying the music as much as I do , they like to dance around when music is played :eek: , and I do love to watch them :p ,(like to see a $5000.00 turntable take that and perform with out a glitch ) they are only young once and will sacrafice any sonic attributes ( which I personaly dont like ) of the soft no dynamic range of lp,s ...........

now whith that said, if you have any thing positive to add to this thred Im all ears , if not you may continue to buy your music any way you want to listen to it , as I will buy mine the way I like it !!!!!!!

Well, now that we had a small format war here on vinyl vs digital....Oh..btw, my old albums make great plant stands, except those darn cardboard covers just do not stand up to water like a jewel case can....

CAP - are you looking for Redbook or SACD recommendations?

DTB300 said:
Well, now that we had a small format war here on vinyl vs digital....Oh..btw, my old albums make great plant stands, except those darn cardboard covers just do not stand up to water like a jewel case can....

:p Not realy a war, I just wasnt aware that I needed to know his preferance for listining , its like components, some like tubes some dont , either way I still enjoy the music, and would not voice my disrespect for others , :eek: I just was looking for some good recomendations!!!!!!!!!!

CAP - are you looking for Redbook or SACD recommendations?

when you say redbook ,do you mean regular standard cd,s ? as I have access to both formats, any good ones let me know :cool: I was just listining to Chris Thomas King "RedMud" its a good acustic blues in your face recording .The voicing and staging is very live (in your room )sounding

C.A.P said:
when you say redbook ,do you mean regular standard cd,s ?

Yes, Redbook refers to standard everyday CD's.

A couple of the better Redbook CD's that I have heard:

James Taylor - Hourglasss and October Road
Dire Straits - On Every Street
Amanda McBroom - Live
Brandenburg Concertos (Telarc Label - 2 Disc Set)
Rippingtons - Wild Card

And a couple of SACD's

Diana Krall - Love Scenes & The Girl In The Other Room
Both James Taylor's listed above
Art Pepper - + Eleven
Telemann - Tafelmusik
David Chesky - Area 51 (modern classical type music)
Handel - Water Music (Telarc Label) & Concerto Grossi Opus 3
Haydn - Symphonies 22, 44, & 64 (Pentatone)
Rimsky-Korsakov - Scherherazade (RCA Living Stereo)
Yellowjackets - Altered States

As you see I most like Jazz and Classical type music...

Dan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back