McIntosh MC 2600 Power Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jpearson

I'm a bit new to high-end stereo equipment and recently purchased the following McIntosh equipment as a package deal:

MC 2600 Power Amp (600 wpc into 2/4/8 Ohms)
C 31V AV Control Center
MCD 7008 CD Changer
MR 7082 AM/FM Tuner

Included also was a Valeodyne F-1500 Sub Woofer

My vintage equipment is Pioneer Spec-4 power amp, Sound Craftsman Equailzer/Pre Amp, dbx 3BX signal processor, Technics turntable, Bose 901 speakers, Teac X10R reel-to-reel w/ dbx, and Technics cassette w/dbx.

I'm currently running the Bose with my new suff and they sound better than ever. I realize the 901s are no where near ML quality. I've been listening to ML and B&W and am leaning towards the ML Vantage speakers (I want the Summits but I don't want a divorce too, understand?)

Does anyone have any idea how a pair of ML Vantage's will work with a 600 wpc amp?

Last edited:
Should work great, far more power than you need but more power never hurts, while inadequate quality or quantity of power is both noticable and occcassionally dangerous to speakers when the amp clips. Mac should sound great with the Vantages. :)

as a current Vantage owner I concur with Atty, more than enough power, only you will know how well everything interacts once you get it all together. TEAC X-10, wow I too owned one of those in the day, cataloged my whole Harry Chapin collection on tape.......ahhhhh.....hours of uninterupted music !!

I had the Bose 901 and some nice Polk bookshelf surrounds, both powered by a standard Sony receiver. At that point in time, I thought the system sounded great. However, after I bought the McIntosh system, all of the weaknesses of the Bose were exposed. (The usual bug, the system sounded magnitudes better with the McIntosh, but it left me wanting more.) The system sounded great when played really loud, but when played softly, all you could hear was the hissing of the treble. I like to listen to music to help me sleep, but the constant hissing in my ears was driving me nuts. That is what sent me out to shop for more speakers. The ML Clarity simply sounded the best at very low levels, but can still rock when I need them to. I think the warmth of the sound coming from the McIntosh works beautifully with the electrostatic sound.
I don’t want to be too hard on Bose. I think they are the best speaker company around! Their speakers are no longer my favorite, but their customer service and loyalty are unsurpassed. My family originally bought those Bose 901s in 1978. When they finally broke, I called up Bose to find out how much replacements would cost. The person on the other end of the phone apologized that the speakers had failed, and said if I would send them back, they would replace them with the new 1999 version for only the cost of shipping. You can’t beat that!

Matt

Last edited:
Back