McIntosh MC-1000 for Prodigy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

laupi

I have never owned Martin Logans and now think about buying a second hand Prodigy to run on my McIntoshs. Can I run them on two monos or do I need additional amplifiers? Someone told me I would need 4 monos to run the Martin Logan Monoliths - is this also the case with the Prodigys?

My MC-1000 are about 10 years old - any concerns that the amps are not a good set-up for the prodigys?

Any advice on a suitable preamp to go with it?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi,

Others here will be more familiar than I with the Prodigies, but I use a Mac amp (MC275 IV) with my Vantages and it's a fantastic combo. FWIW, the Mac transistor amp I also demo'd, the MC252, also worked very well with the Vantages, producing a wonderful relaxed yet detailed sound that seemed to give the speakers limitless headroom. My sense is that Mac gear in general is a good match for 'Logans -- just in case you haven't made it over to the McIntosh forums on Audio Karma, here's a link:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

good luck,

k

1000 watts at 8, 4 or 2 ohms!!! I think your MC-1000's will be just fine driving a pair of Prodigys or any other pair of MLs for that matter. If they can't do it alone then I don't know what else will. I've never heard this combination but I would expect it to be a very nice match.

Attachments

• MC1000.jpg
    MC1000.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 388
I have never owned Martin Logans and now think about buying a second hand Prodigy to run on my McIntoshs. Can I run them on two monos or do I need additional amplifiers? Someone told me I would need 4 monos to run the Martin Logan Monoliths - is this also the case with the Prodigys?

My MC-1000 are about 10 years old - any concerns that the amps are not a good set-up for the prodigys?

Any advice on a suitable preamp to go with it?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Definitely yes...dude!!! to the amp that is... You should not need 4 of these...2 will work just swell. I too have heard the MC275 hooked to both Odysseys/Aeons/Prodigys...It made some 'spooky' good music. Let us know if you get the voices floating in the room sensation... I think you will given your room is 'ok'.

Back