McIntosh has a new speaker system...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Each speaker houses Six 12" Aluminum Cone Woofers, Sixty-Four 2" Titanium Midranges and Forty 3/4" Titanium Tweeters"

O' dear GOD!

64 2" midrange woofers and 40 tweeters! Dare I ask how much?

64 2" midrange woofers and 40 tweeters! Dare I ask how much?[/QUOTE]

probably about a $250...............per driver!!!
:rolleyes:

McIntosh XRT2K speakers...

Zip3kx07 said:
"Each speaker houses Six 12" Aluminum Cone Woofers, Sixty-Four 2" Titanium Midranges and Forty 3/4" Titanium Tweeters"

O' dear GOD!

64 2" midrange woofers and 40 tweeters! Dare I ask how much?
Joe / gstring and Tom,

You can buy a new pair of McIntosh XRT2K's for $80,000.00 (USD). Check it out:

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/shows/avtour2005/ced_showstoppers_5.shtml

They weigh 440 pounds (US) even though their is alot of titanium involved. So shipping costs could be a tad expensive too, which is something you would need to factor into the purchase price... :D

You would definately need a larger amplifier, most probably the top of the line McIntosh too, in order to dirve these monster speaker properly... ;)

Cheers

-Robin

Here is something I had put in another thread some time back. Are you sure about the price? I remember seeing the $40K but it was for the pair. Your link said each? Could that have been a misprint?

Originally Posted by MarkNewbie
I doubt that it was the room treatment. McIntosh (not spelled McIntoch) speakers are not that great sounding no matter what gear you couple them with. You could liken this to ML and their Subs. Mac is playing off of brand loyality with their speakers but IMHO not very well. No where near as well as ML does. I have heard Mac speakers coupled with Classe, Rotel, & Krell and they still sounded weak. My Mac dealer refuses to carry the speakers in stock because he can't sell them. The ones that I have heard have been ones that came back and were traded for something else due to the original owner's dissappointment with them.

Nothing like having a major audio equipment manufacturer make a humble pee-on such as myself eat my words. Check these babies out! They can be had for around $40,000.00 from what I am hearing.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/...4&product=XRT2K

Ouch baby!

Last edited:
I thing that is correct 40k each...

Mark,

Yeah, I think that is correct, $40,000.00 (USD) for each speaker. I checked several other sites on the internet. But that is without shipping of course. The speakers weight is over 440 lbs. so shipping would be of considerable cost, I'm afraid... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Mark,

Yeah, I think that is correct, $40,000.00 (USD) for each speaker. I checked several other sites on the internet. But that is without shipping of course. The speakers weight is over 440 lbs. so shipping would be of considerable cost, I'm afraid... :D

Cheers

-Robin

And to think, when I saw them a few months ago, I thought $40,000.00 was expensive!! Double OUCH BABY!! :eek:

McIntosh equipment interface...

MarkNewbie said:
And to think, when I saw them a few months ago, I thought $40,000.00 was expensive!! Double OUCH BABY!! :eek:
Mark,

I wonder if your 'McIntosh C2200 Tube Pre' would interface better with these kind of speakers, being as they are both engineered by the same manufacturer?

IMHO, I think the McIntosh corporation should lend you a pair of XRT2K's in the name of synergy to facilitate an in home audition, with the only stipulation being you would have to give the ML Club a review of your finding, at your liesure of course... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
Robin said:
Mark,

I wonder if your 'McIntosh C2200 Tube Pre' would interface better with these kind of speakers, being as they are both engineered by the same manufacturer?

IMHO, I think the McIntosh corporation should lend you a pair of XRT2K's in the name of synergy to facilitate an in home audition, with the only stipulation being you would have to give the ML Club a review of your finding, at your liesure of course... :D

Cheers

-Robin

I like your train of thought here... Course, how long do you think it would take McIntosh to track me down after "lending" them to me? Did I mention that I might consider moving to another state after getting them at home to audition??? :eek: I actually have heard an ALL Mac system at my local dealer though, not these speakers. He was comparing Mac speakers to B&W 805s that sold for about the same amount of jack! The B&W's totally blew the Macs away! These were comparable speakers in the $10K price range. Both sets were well broke in and the Macs had came back on trade for the B&W's. That side by side comparison was what formulated my original opinion of Mac speakers. These could very well change that opinion but then I would want to do a side by side with say, Wilsons? :cool:

Back