McIntosh and Vantages

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkawall

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been very happy with my Vantages driven by Quad electronics but I'd like to upgrade the rest of the system and wonder if anyone has experience of the MLs with either the MC275 tube amp or the 6300 intergrated -- interested also in the MCD-201 player. The thinking here is that these would give me a system that I can live with for a long time and that will get the best out of these speakers. Anyway, glad of any advice and best,

k

Last edited:
I heard the 275 with Vantages at a dealer. For some reason, all the highs were gone. With solid state Mcintosh amp in the same set-up, all the highs were back. Maybe the 275 didn't like the low impedence in the treble region.

I haven't listened to the MC-275 very much, but IMO the Harman/Kardon Citation II sounds great on stats. Very balanced throughout, and it doesn't seem to mind the impedance swing too much. Of course, that means buying a vintage piece and restoring it, but Jim Mcshane offers upgrades and improvements on his Website. I'd say that amp is worth a look, but I might be personally biased since I own one! :D

I love the MC-275. I love the looks and the sound. I just don't think this amp is an ideal match for the Vantage or Summit. I reckon the bigger tube Mac's or the s/s Mac's are a better choice. If you want lower powered tube, try the Audio Research VSi55.

Hi,

I've asked a version of this question (and been answered) below, but having spent the afternoon listening to the MCD201 going direct into the MC275IV and then into the Vantages, I'm in love! The MC402 went louder and was to my ears a little more spacious, but the 275 was magical, I thought. However, I've been told by various dealers and audio sages that the Vantage, since it drops to around 1 ohm in the highs, cannot be properly driven by the MC275. A McIntosh Labs expert told me that I'd be looking at a pair of 252s bridged -- way out of my budget. Are there any ML owners here using the MC275? Results? I'm sorry to bring this up again but am trying to reconcile what I've heard with what I've been told...

thanks again and best,

kirkawall said:
Hi all,

I've been very happy with my Vantages driven by Quad electronics but I'd like to upgrade the rest of the system and wonder if anyone has experience of the MLs with either the MC275 tube amp or the 6300 intergrated -- interested also in the MCD-201 player. The thinking here is that these would give me a system that I can live with for a long time and that will get the best out of these speakers. Anyway, glad of any advice and best,

k
I auditioned the Mac 201 cd/SACD player a few weeks ago next to my Sony SCD-1. It was an absolute piece of garbage. It sounded dead with no weight in the bass, no bass slam, it was polite, but a bit grainy. It is far from a reference product. An old Rega planet sounds better than this piece of junk. You should also know that it uses a cheap plastic drive from Korea. There are rumors it will be changed. Take the top off of this boat anchor and see for yourself.

Back