Matching ML to Klipsch Surrounds

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radelow

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am building a HT/Music listening room. I have decided to focus my budget on the mains/center and am going with the Motion 60XTI's and the Motion 50XTI center. My question is as it relates to the surrounds. I already have Klipsch surround/ATMOS speakers (R-3800-W inwalls for the sides and rears, CDT-3800-C II for the ATMOS in ceiling). As I am now spending the majority of my speaker budget on the fronts the option to replace all my surrounds would be a stretch. Just curious on what people think about this. I understand ideally that matching the fronts with the Motion Surrounds would be best but frankly I don't have the money to buy more ML speakers and still get the Receiver and Sub(s) I need. I could maybe replace with another lower cost surround option (Niles, etc.) but not sure it's worth it. On a positive note the Klipsch's are very efficient so they should be able to keep up volume wise with the ML's (the receiver has Direc Live built in).

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mark

well take this for what it's worth (I'm a 2 channel audio guy) , but for me when it comes to HT, surrounds are the least important and since you are going to be using it for music (assuming 2 channel stereo ?) prioritizing L / R and center is the foundation I would go with and then solid sub(s).

translation..... IMO your Klipsch will be fine

I'm sure die-hard HT folks might feel different .......

I'm using Martin Logan in all 3 from speakers (Prodigy and Focus), 4 in ceiling Martin Logans for atmos, and then 2 different brands for my surrounds. It sounds great. In back I have Sinclair Audio and Speaker craft.

You're doing the right thing with the front three by matching up the 50XTi center with the 60XTi's. That's the most important thing for having that seamless panning of sound across the front stage. You may notice a slight difference in timbre between the ML folded motion tweeters in the front 3 and the horns in the Klipsch R-3800's, but I don't think it'll be enough to cause concern, and it can be minimized if your AV receiver has a decent room calibration package to EQ everything to a similar frequency response. I wouldn't sweat it. Focus on getting the best sub you can for your budget. That's a much bigger factor than matching surrounds when it comes to building out an HT with true dynamic impact.

You're doing the right thing with the front three by matching up the 50XTi center with the 60XTi's. That's the most important thing for having that seamless panning of sound across the front stage. You may notice a slight difference in timbre between the ML folded motion tweeters in the front 3 and the horns in the Klipsch R-3800's, but I don't think it'll be enough to cause concern, and it can be minimized if your AV receiver has a decent room calibration package to EQ everything to a similar frequency response. I wouldn't sweat it. Focus on getting the best sub you can for your budget. That's a much bigger factor than matching surrounds when it comes to building out an HT with true dynamic impact.

Thanks. I am leaning towards the HSU VTF-3 for the subwoofer. Open to other suggestions in the $1000 price range...

Thanks. I am leaning towards the HSU VTF-3 for the subwoofer. Open to other suggestions in the $1000 price range...
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products1.html
This brand gets rave reviews and is affordable. Look at them.

I personally just replaced a broken sub with Definitve technology sub. It's the 10 inch. It sounds great. I use it on my gaming PC sound system. Definitive sounds good and is affordable.

Was going to also suggest Rythmik. SVS is another option to check out. The PB2000 would probably be the model most equivalent to the Hsu. PB-2000 Pro

Rythmik and SVS are my main suggestions too. But, Crutchfield currently has a close-out sale on a Klipsch sub. Normally, it's $1839, and it's on sale for $799. Good features too.

Klipsch

You will be fine. I have an old in ceiling Atlantic Technology System 2 bi/dipole working as my rear Atmos speaker in a 5.2.6 setup that is othetwise all Martin Logan. Works well.

LCR is where 80% of the magic happens.

For what it's worth, I just installed Klipsch RP-500SA Atmos fronts and SVS Prime Elevation Atmos rears, and the SVS speakers better timber-match my Martin Logan Expressions. The Klipsch copper woofers sure are pretty though.

Back