Masterpiece Series bass transition

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbill

Reaction score
Does the bass transition seamlessly to the panels? Are there any charts or other scientific evidence that shows it?

I'm just asking because I keep seeing these accusations that they don't and the golden-eared can hear it.

I have the Prodigy speakers from the year 2000 and the woofers on it blend seemlessly with my panels. Supposedly the new Masterpiece line is even better, but I cant hear any problems with mine.

From John Atkinsons/Stereophile measurement's of the Renaissance 15A's...

Fig.4 shows what I found. (The Bass Level was set to 0dB for all the measurements.) The red trace is the spatially averaged response without Anthem Room Correction applied to the woofers, the blue trace with ARC. You can easily see the effects of ARC; in fact, with ARC applied, this is one of the flattest spatially averaged in-room responses I have measured in 27 years of performing this test. Yes, this excellent behavior was partly due to JI's superbly proportioned room—but if you disregard the narrow peak just above 100Hz and the slight lack of energy between 150 and 250Hz, the response falls within ±2dB limits from 20Hz to 10kHz. Wow! (What I haven't shown is how closely the left and right speakers matched at the listening position: within 1dB from 100Hz to 20kHz!)

15A bass integration.jpg

JImbill, I like sleepsurf's response to your question, and I think it's a good start.

Not sure what the dealers are like in your area, but many dealers provide an opportunity to try out these speakers in one's own home for a reasonable evaluation period.

Let me also offer: what ML ESL's excel at, what other speakers struggle with, is the region from 300 Hz on up. Th ML ESL's basically have NO crossover from 300 Hz on up. (I know that's not a complete representation, but I'm trying to make a point.)

That doesn't mean ML ESLs are easy to position in a room, or easy to drive without exceptionally good electronics, or ... yep, ML ESLs are tricky. BUT that continuous range of smoothness from low bass clear up to beyond hearing is a remarkable achievement.

Just my two cents.

JImbill, I like sleepsurf's response to your question, and I think it's a good start.

Not sure what the dealers are like in your area, but many dealers provide an opportunity to try out these speakers in one's own home for a reasonable evaluation period.

Let me also offer: what ML ESL's excel at, what other speakers struggle with, is the region from 300 Hz on up. Th ML ESL's basically have NO crossover from 300 Hz on up. (I know that's not a complete representation, but I'm trying to make a point.)

That doesn't mean ML ESLs are easy to position in a room, or easy to drive without exceptionally good electronics, or ... yep, ML ESLs are tricky. BUT that continuous range of smoothness from low bass clear up to beyond hearing is a remarkable achievement.

Just my two cents.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not asking because I'm in the market. I have a lovely pair of 13a's and had Ascent I's prior. It's just when I get on other audiophile forums this keeps coming up as a negative for ML's. That, and hybrid's can never sound right.

I would hate to think that there is some (or maybe a lot) of jealously out there on some of the forums...

As is so often said, Listen, and Trust Your Ears.

My first experience with Martin Logans (after reading a lot of reviews of various speakers) was actually listening to a pair of Ascent I's at a dealership in Fort Lauderdale, Fl while on a trip. It was truly a jaw-dropping experience, and I soon had a pair of my very own. Then Summits, and now the Renaissance 15A. Terrific integration and most enjoyable.

I still will have a listen on occasion to other speakers, and have been impressed with some. But, I'm keeping my Logans.

Jimbill, IM(H)O, it really doesn't mean a damn thing what other folks think.
I fell in love with ML's (yes, yes... for the couchtrippers out there, maybe I was in love with "the idea of ML's"!) while I was a penniless student.

Roll the clock forward a couple of decades and I got a nice (for me) system (SL3's, Stage, etc.) and some nice solid Bryston amps. Sometimes when I have the house to myself, I'll toe the speakers in a bit too much, put a bar stool in the temporary sweet spot, and just crank the living hell out of things... what do I listen to... well, yeah, so a bit of Clark Duke project, Marillion, Dire Straits, Tchaikovsky,, Lorde, Vivaldi, Coltrane, Alicia Keys, Diana Krall... you name it.

I find that having a pair of 150lb headphones makes me feel better... even noisy old recordings... it just takes you away.

Bottom line - it just doesn't matter what others say about response curves, crossover transitions, blah, blah blah. Make sure you have sufficient amplification, get your room set up nicely for YOU, Kick back and enjoy!

Jimbill, IM(H)O, it really doesn't mean a damn thing what other folks think...

I recall some poster on another forum stating that the "new" ML Masterpiece line frames were flimsy, and would "flap around" if played at high levels! :oops:

Crazy what people come up with!

Unfortunately, I have heard some poor ML demo's at audio shows, including some even set up by ML Reps and/or local dealers. That may have been due to poor room acoustics or underpowered amps, but I think a bit more time and effort with setup could have improved things.

Back