Martins for Playing Live Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
Anyone use their MLs for playing live music? Any pros or cons for using them?

I don't mean necessarily for taking them to a bar to play a gig, but like just playing at your own home. I just started playing the guitar this year and I thought "why buy an seprate 'amp' when I can just use my home system?"

Enjoy the funny pic of me ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 269
What no big metal hair?

Oh, come on now Peter....

I'm sure you can give us a better rockstar pose than that..... :D

You look like your commanding officer just walked up.....

I used to have a Taylor 514CE acoustic that I hooked up to my system a few times. Sounded better than through any "regular" amp IMHO.

I tried it once with an electric (Strat), results were not stellar; as with the acoustic...

Kruppy said:
Oh, come on now Peter....

I'm sure you can give us a better rockstar pose than that..... :D

You look like your commanding officer just walked up.....

LOL!

How about these (LOL!)

Attachments

• IMG_0258_edit.JPG
    IMG_0258_edit.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 231
Hi Peter

I just start a lesson last week. Its harder then i thought...Oh well more practice for me. I notice you got a U2 t shirt from The Elevation tour...was one of the best tour I've seen.

Mike

tubes rock!

Peter_Klim said:
Anyone use their MLs for playing live music? Any pros or cons for using them?

I don't mean necessarily for taking them to a bar to play a gig, but like just playing at your own home. I just started playing the guitar this year and I thought "why buy an seprate 'amp' when I can just use my home system?"

Enjoy the funny pic of me ;)

For me, I would prefer a tube amp and the right cone speakers. Much of what I aspire musically is really a result of the synergy between tubes and the right speakers. There is no question that tubes have a certain sonic signature that SS amps can't reproduce exactly.

Oddly, for critcal 2 channel listening I can lean either way. However, when it comes to guitar, the tone in my head can only be captured by tubes and lower wattage speakers like a Celestian Greenback. I've been fortunate enough to play some of the most desirable/collectable amps made in the last 40 years and it is no coincidence that they are all tube amps.

Watch Out

When I learned to play guitar, I tried using a home audio system and blew the speakers. I don't remember the details now, but it may but the output from your guitar is a bit hot for consumer audio systems.

Since then I have only run my guitar through a dedicated system, and am very careful even when mixing music that I have recorded myself by plaing back through the stereo.

Back