MartinLogan announces breakthrough Monoray ESL line

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
April 1, 2019 Lawrence, Kansas. MartinLogan is proud to announce a new line of electrostatic speakers designed to deliver high-performance audio while blending into more environments thanks to zero-footprint mounting options.
In contrast to our current electrostatic line, this new line of speakers is designed to radiate sound only towards the listening position, allowing greater room placement flexibility, as they can be wall, or even in-wall mounted.

The Monoray line combines our renowned Curvilinear Line Source electrostatic panel with a line-array of dynamic drivers whose pattern-matched output delivers symmetrical far-field sound pressure levels, achieving a cohesive and balanced presentation for the listeners.
This Symmetrical Line Source Speaker configuration enables demanding listeners to now enjoy high-quality audio reproduction in a system that easily blends in with a panel TV deployed in a living room or mixed-use media room.

With zero floor space needed and only a discrete single connector linkage to a centralized controller, this line blends the high-performance MartinLogan electrostats are known for with modern, design-friendly aesthetics and state-of-the-art integrated functions enabling a simple, clean deployment. Highly accurate in-room performance is achieved using the adaptive nature of the self-tuning ARC process.

As MartinLogans first line of fully active high-performance speakers, the Monoray line extends our work in semi-active solutions for hybrid electrostats to now cover the full spectrum using custom-matched amplification and active crossovers for the ESL panels as well. Featuring our innovative Dynamic Direct Panel Drive (DDPD) amplifier for unsurpassed Electrostatic panel control thanks to a tightly-coupled PowerDAC architecture fully integrating real-time panel feedback, thereby achieving the lowest levels of distortion possible with broad and flat frequency response. This vertical integration allows Monoray speakers to be easily tailored to their deployed configurations. With presets for stand-alone (using optional stands) to on-wall or in-wall configurations. The central Monoray controller even supports outputs for one or two subs to provide balanced in-room low-end. This is even further adapted to the room itself using the automatic ARC tuning system for the combined speakers and subs.

The Monoray line enables high-quality, room-friendly setups, from simple stereo all the way to full multichannel deployments that deliver immersive audio without visually and literally overtaking the room.
A fully-active version of the Focus center is being added to support multichannel solutions, the C18A. Combining the vertically integrated controller (single channel input), single umbilical connection cable to a modified version of the C18 with a single cable connector. This same single-channel controller can also be used in conjunction with a single Monoray speaker as a perfectly matching vertical line-source center behind an acoustically transparent projection screen.

The Monoray line will comprise a range of units whose model numbers reflect varying panel heights and widths. Our initial release consists of two models:
Monoray 408 – A 42” h x 16” w x 6” d unit housing a 40” x 8.6” ESL panel and six 5” line-array woofers.​
Monoray 4413 – A 46” h x 22” w x 7” d unit housing a 44” x 13” ESL panel and six 6 ½” line-array woofers​

Sold in pairs or singles, these are coupled with the following two controller models:
Monoray DDPD1 – Single-channel controller for use with the Focus C18A or any Monoray speaker​
Monoray DDPD2 – Two-channel controller for a pair of Monoray speakers and optional subs​

Extremely high performance is consistently delivered when deployed, thanks to the fully active and integrated nature of the system. A rarely touted specification, power curve, or a speakers frequency response at varying output levels, is consistent to the upper limits for this line. Frequency response itself is extended, as the DDPD amplifier delivers dynamically adjusted voltage and current, controlling the ESL for extended, low-distortion performance. Active crossovers enable time-aligned, smooth transitions from ESL to dynamic drivers for optimal hybrid blending. The line-array of woofers matches the linear wave-launch of the panel for a consistent far-field sound pressure at the listeners' location. The large driver surface area permits deeper extension than expected, with the 4413 being flat down to 39Hz. In-room performance is further enhanced by boundary reinforcement for wall or in-wall mounting and fully optimized with ARC room correction.

The specs are:
  • 408 - 48Hz to 20,000Hz, consistent power curve to 103dB SPL at less than 0.2% THD
  • 4413 - 39Hz to 20,000Hz, consistent power curve to 105dB SPL at less than 0.2% THD

“Inspired by the designs of our super-fan, JonFo, creator of the fully-active, symmetrical line source SL3XC center and long-time advocate of monopole ESL, the Monoray line is quite literally his ‘dream system’. Reflecting MartinLogans customer-centric stance, we are proud to deliver a product line that will appeal to both existing and many new customers looking for low-footprint, high-performance sound systems. “ – Devin Zell

A companion product brochure describes the breakthrough technology, performance, and flexibility of this exciting new line, and we encourage you to read it for more details.

Pricing and actual release date will be announced at a later time.

MonorayTheater-sml.jpg

This is groundbraking stuff!!!

Can't wait to see a high-performance Home Theater ESL system with zero in-room footprint. Here's what I'd do:

Front wall: Using three in-wall mounted 4413 behind an acoustically transparent screen, the front soundstage delivers dynamics and clarity rarely heard of in a home theater.

Side walls, custom in-wall mounts with 408 pair angled to direct sound across two listening rows.

Rear on-wall mounted 408 pair make a visual statement as well.

In-celling mounted quartet of Vanquish speakers provide elevation sounds.

Four BF212 subs round out the low-end.

That would be amazing!

Ran across another pic of just the unit.

This one has the woofer fabric in a contrasting red color

woofer-array-red.jpg

And here it is without the fabric:

woofer-array-naked.jpg

Wow! Not on their site yet?? A dedicated left and right speaker? Wouldn't you want the woofer array to the outside?

And most importantly, wouldn't you want to release it on April 2nd as to avoid thinking it was an elaborate April fools joke from Jonathan????

Last edited:
Wow! Not on their site yet?? A dedicated left and right speaker? Wouldn't you want the woofer array to the outside?

Looks like the marketing dept is falling behind :D

One of the benefits of 'Symmetrical Line Source Speakers' is that one can flip them up-side-down and they are still symmetrical. So its only one model, and it's your choice to mount the woofer array to the inside or to the outer edge of the room. The umbilical connector is in the middle of the back, and the mounts are also symterical, the logo is a clip-on that can be moved, so it works either way.

And most importantly, wouldn't you want to release it on April 2nd as to avoid thinking it was an elaborate April fools joke from Jonathan????

Yeah, what's up with that? ;)

No, because it is April Fools Day! And it's pretty darned elaborate! Good job!

The first model will be the L. Monoray-L.

Last edited:
I'm calling Shawn @ DiVinchi Media to get my deposit in this morning asap !

Nice try.
JonFo is brilliant on many levels but the Stylos was an effort from the '90s. that one could be mounted in a wall, not just on the wall. not the most successful products.

This looks interesting.. a huge step above the Stylos... in-wall ESL! this could be a game changer for me. Any news on pricing?

Nice try.
JonFo is brilliant on many levels but the Stylos was an effort from the '90s. that one could be mounted in a wall, not just on the wall. not the most successful products.

Heh, these would put a Stylos to shame, I looked at those when they came out, and the compromises of a small panel, small woofer, super close to wall (guaranteed comb-filtering from reflections back through the panel), etc. meant I skipped them. But a unit designed to be a monopole, much like the C18 and ESL C, and approriately powered and with a matching line-array of woofers, that is a different beast.

I've run my SL3XC (which is also an SLSS) as a closed-back monopole and it works very well. I just need to fabricate a permanent rear-chamber for it.

I need some side speakers and they will be monopoles for sure. I'll be using the panel from an ESL-X. Got any extra's laying around? ;)

Last edited:
RUR, that's fantastic news! That handheld cassette unit is perfect for me!

And that report on the double blind power cord test exactly lines up with what I've noticed in my system.

No, because it is April Fools Day! And it's pretty darned elaborate! Good job!

The first model will be the L. Monoray-L.

Thanks, and the 'model L' thing was good!

Any update on the Monoray series? April 1st introduction with a seemingly real brochure, but . . . was this really a joke after all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any update on the Monoray series? April 1st introduction with a seemingly real brochure, but . . . was this really a joke after all?

As the author of the concept and the brochure, yes, this was an April Fool's day prank, we do these regularly here. I just put more effort into this one than usual :D

Now, if you really want an in-wall mountable line-array ML that really kicks butt, check out the new Statement 40XW described here: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?18148-Line-Array

Back