Martin Logan update, Stage,Vantage,Descent

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverb2009

Reaction score
This was posted my mamboshow in another thread today, I wanted to make sure everyone got to see it.

Thanks Mamboshow :D

Spoke to ML today, they said that the Stage is due Jan/Feb 2006, it’s smaller than the theatre i. Not necessarily better as its smaller, about the same performance possibly a bit less than the current theatre i. So, let’s say it’s more a sideways step than an upgrade.

But this may suite some people who have been looking for a smaller sized centre, with the same performance as the theatre i.

The new Ascent speaker replacement, the Vantage, is due Christmas. It’s powered (did not ask the wattage, I assume its 200w) as the Summit, but this time it has only one 8 inch driver. It has the same sort of shape as the Summit, but smaller. More like the Aeon. As I have not seen the Summit or the Aeon in the flesh, I let you figure it out.

The dates quoted were for International shipment, so ask ML about the release dates for the domestic market.

Nearly forgot, there’ll be a “New Descent” sub out later in 2006. ML may offer an upgrade to the current Descent owners – but nothing has been finalised – I for one, hope they do.

So if anyone is interested in further information, suggest asking ML some discreet questions.

Cheers

I meant to say the size is similar to the Aeon, while the shape is like the Summit.

An Interesting, Inovative ML future, as always...

Joe,

Thanks for sharing the infor from "Mamboshow"... I take it, "Mamboshow", is an audio forum on the web, correct?

Well, It seems the ML 'Stage', center channel will be smaller but sound about the same as the 'Theater i'. This confirms what a, 'Magnolia HiFi', manager told me, a few weeks ago. He also told me, the 'Stage' would be priced, about the same, or a bit more...

I wonder, what up-grades, ML will be offering for the 'Descent', and if I'll be able to upgrade, my Descent?... :rolleyes:

I just love the sound, size and shape of the current Ascent i, somehow, I'm just having some trouble visualizing an Ascent i, that is half the size, with the same beautiful sound. In this case, I trust ML implicitly... You just wait and see,... ML will come through in fine style, as always.;) IMHO, I also believe, the current Ascent i, is destined to become, yet another ML speaker classic, like the CLSiiz... :p

Thanks again, Joe

Cheers

-Robin

No, Mamboshow is one of our members. He posted this under press releases; I wanted to make sure those that have been waiting for more info saw it.

Take care

Robin said:
Well, It seems the ML 'Stage', center channel will be smaller but sound about the same as the 'Theater i'. This confirms what a, 'Magnolia HiFi', manager told me, a few weeks ago. He also told me, the 'Stage' would be priced, about the same, or a bit more...
Well with Martin Logan trying to down size all their speakers this change was easy to see coming, unfortunately. ML has stated on there site the stage will be priced about the same as the theater.

I wonder, what up-grades, ML will be offering for the 'Descent', and if I'll be able to upgrade, my Descent?... :rolleyes:
I hope an advanced electronic EQ with a room equalization system, like what velodyne has in their subs, would be nice.

I just love the sound, size and shape of the current Ascent i, somehow, I'm just having some trouble visualizing an Ascent i, that is half the size, with the same beautiful sound. In this case, I trust ML implicitly... You just wait and see,... ML will come through in fine style, as always.;) IMHO, I also believe, the current Ascent i, is destined to become, yet another ML speaker classic, like the CLSiiz... :p
Well when I imagine what the vantage will look like, I am picturing the summit the size of the aeon.

Zip3kx07 said:
I hope an advanced electronic EQ with a room equalization system, like what velodyne has in their subs, would be nice.
IMO...With the SMS-1 coming out, which can be used with any sub, there really would be no need for ML to "recreate" the wheel. But hey...what do I know.. :)

Dan

DTB300 said:
IMO...With the SMS-1 coming out, which can be used with any sub, there really would be no need for ML to "recreate" the wheel. But hey...what do I know.. :)

Dan

Oh my GOODNESS Dan!!! :eek: Your new signature is the best one yet!!!

I burst out laughing when I read it!!! :D :D

I am disappointed that the new center is not supposed to be a sonic improvement over the Theater, but costs the same. :(

DTB300 said:

Dan

I dont really want another box in my system. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) :D

I was told by ML that the Vantage was just a smaller Summit with one woofer instead of two. As far as power, this is unknown and I am not sure if the woofer is an 8 inch or 10 inch.

I was also told they are having some "issues" with the Stage with trying to improve what they already have. Personally, I think a smaller one would be fine as long as the price was some where when "normal" people could afford it. From a marketing stand point I think it is over priced. :mad:

Of course I have never been normal anyway. :eek:

Jeff :cool:

Zip3kx07 said:
I dont really want another box in my system. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) :D

Yeah, but room bass management with Auto EQ and remote control (no getting up to change a setting to compensate for the source) on ANY sub - with control of up to three subs - This is one of those "must have" items for an all around better sounding system. Better bass management means better midrange and better high end. And for another box, it is only 1U in height.

It will also address a problem that most people either have never explored (room acoustics) or never thought made a difference. When someone cannot do room acoustics due to living areas, acceptance factors, cost, and education in doing it the right way, this product starts to get you there.

People spend more on IC's and Power Cords than this unit will cost, and those costly additions will not approach the improvement in sound you can get with the SMS-1. Acoustic room management is one of the most ignored aspects of getting our systems to sound better.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Yeah, but room bass management with Auto EQ and remote control (no getting up to change a setting to compensate for the source) on ANY sub - with control of up to three subs - This is one of those "must have" items for an all around better sounding system. Better bass management means better midrange and better high end. And for another box, it is only 1U in height.

It will also address a problem that most people either have never explored (room acoustics) or never thought made a difference. When someone cannot do room acoustics due to living areas, acceptance factors, cost, and education in doing it the right way, this product starts to get you there.

People spend more on IC's and Power Cords than this unit will cost, and those costly additions will not approach the improvement in sound you can get with the SMS-1. Acoustic room management is one of the most ignored aspects of getting our systems to sound better.

Dan

I agree it works, and will do its job.

Not sure if I like the idea of having another box in my system. I went with the Anthem Statement D1 pre-amp because it's a grate pre-amp and will be upgrade to D2 with an internal video scalier and HDMI, no need to buy an external video processor. Anthem is also working another upgrade for the D2 that will add microphone EQ calibration.

Not sure how it with compare to the Velodyne, but we well see. If it's all it suppose to be I may get one. Being the bass nut that I am it my be hard to say no to the Velodyne once it finally see's the light of day.

Do you plan on getting one Dan?

Joey_V said:
Oooh.... I want some Vantage pics!

Thanks for the update Joe!

CEDIA is in full swing right now, and from what have read poking around the net, Martin Logan is showing the Stage and Vantage, but I have yet to find any pics.

Zip3kx07 said:
Spoke to ML today, they said that the Stage is due Jan/Feb 2006, it’s smaller than the theatre i. Not necessarily better as its smaller, about the same performance possibly a bit less than the current theatre i. So, let’s say it’s more a sideways step than an upgrade.
Good to hear, sigh. So hopefully I'm not drawn into the mental upgrade pressure, which is so bad either for satisfaction or for the wallet. In my setup I have no problem with the size of the Theater.

Zip3kx07 said:
CEDIA is in full swing right now, and from what have read poking around the net, Martin Logan is showing the Stage and Vantage, but I have yet to find any pics.

My local dealer offered me a ticket to get in but this is my weekend with the kids and they come first. We are off to Church...hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday! :D

MarkNewbie said:
My local dealer offered me a ticket to get in but this is my weekend with the kids and they come first. We are off to Church...hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday! :D

You got your priorities straight, Mark! It's better to spend time with the kids... the speakers can wait.

;)

Joey_V said:
You got your priorities straight, Mark! It's better to spend time with the kids... the speakers can wait.

;)

Thanks Joey,

I like most parents make comments about my kids that are jokes. The truth be known, I am truly blessed to have them. My weekends without them are lonely even when I have a date. I miss them every moment that I am not around them. There is no love like that you have for your children... ;) We just finished a good solid hour of playing hide and seek. Now they are picking up their toys and cleaning their room.

Zip3kx07 said:
Do you plan on getting one Dan?

Yes I do...but I have to sell my Denon 2200 (plus DVD-A collection as part of the deal) and my Paradigm X-Over to help fund the purchase. So as the time gets closer, I will place the ad. I heard end of September, early October for release.

This unit uses the same software that is in the Direct Drive Subs by Velodyne.

Dan

Latest posts

Back