Martin Logan Subs, a good choice?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sprtfan

I have been looking for a new subwoofer and have noticed several people here are not a fan of Martin Logan subs. I have listened to a Grotto and thought it was great for music but lacking for movies. I assumed if I moved up to a Depth or a Descent that I would be able to get more of what I was looking for in movies and still have the same abilites to play music that the Grotto has. Would this be the case?
Compared to other subs the Grotto seemed to disappear into the room better. I had to check a few times to make sure it was on, but it was obvious when I turned it off that the bass was gone.

sprtfan said:
I have been looking for a new subwoofer and have noticed several people here are not a fan of Martin Logan subs. I have listened to a Grotto and thought it was great for music but lacking for movies. I assumed if I moved up to a Depth or a Descent that I would be able to get more of what I was looking for in movies and still have the same abilites to play music that the Grotto has. Would this be the case?
Compared to other subs the Grotto seemed to disappear into the room better. I had to check a few times to make sure it was on, but it was obvious when I turned it off that the bass was gone.

The Descent is a very good all round sub. Of course, it would be a good idea if you can audition it in your room to see how good or bad it synergizes....I've heard it in a demo set-up and I liked it. It bears the same bass signature of the ML's in general..

AP

I listened to a Rel and a Paradigm sub and didn't really care for either. They didn't seem to disappear as well and seemed boomier to me.

Luckily for all of us there is more choice in subwoofers than Rel or Velodyne. Can you expand a little more on why Rel has worked in your system and room?

Kevin

sprtfan said:
I listened to a Rel and a Paradigm sub and didn't really care for either. They didn't seem to disappear as well and seemed boomier to me.

Well... that simply means that your system wasn't properly set...
The nice thing about REL is that they're explaining very well (from A to Z) on how to set up their subs... and it is just working fine!
Once again I'm talking about the ST range...

ML's Descent is a fantastic subwoofer....

sprtfan,

Welcome to the ML Club!

Yes, the ML Descent subwoofer is an excellent subwoofer!!! It is specially designed to sonically blend seamlessly with all of ML electrostatic speakers. It is extremely fast and quick, which needs to be the case, as the electrostatic pannels are extremely quick. The Descent, is a three-way, servo controlled subwoofer which is also fully adjustable. I have posted many times on this forum, and sing the praises of this wonderfully dynamic subwoofer. I could not do without it, in my system. I was just wondering how much % do you listen to music vs. HT? Also will you be adding other ML speakers to your system?

Again welcome and enjoy, "Trust your ears". :D

Cheers

-Robin

dogg5306 said:
Well... that simply means that your system wasn't properly set...
The nice thing about REL is that they're explaining very well (from A to Z) on how to set up their subs... and it is just working fine!
Once again I'm talking about the ST range...

I've owned two different REL subs. The Storm II and now the Stentor. Both of these subs when set up properly do disappear. It has the ability to adjust to the point where it blends in perfectly. I've really noticed that the higher priced Stentor was a bigger improvement over the entry level. To my ears it has smoother response and went lower! (Larger cabinet)

I auditioned both the Descent and the Rel I ended up with the REL due to previous pleasure with the Storm and slightly more adjustability. You can't go wrong with either one? If you heard it booming it wasn't crossed over low enough and in a room that has peaky response in the low frequencies? Gee what room doesnt? :rolleyes:

The Descent will successfully pair with dynamic speakers (Snell Type AIIIi), ribbons (apogee Divas) as well as Martin Logans, just to name a few speakers I have tried mine with. Any sub can be made to sound bad if it is turned up too loud. My old Sunfire was great for the money, but no match for the Descent.

Robin said:
sprtfan,

Welcome to the ML Club!

Yes, the ML Descent subwoofer is an excellent subwoofer!!! It is specially designed to sonically blend seamlessly with all of ML electrostatic speakers. It is extremely fast and quick, which needs to be the case, as the electrostatic pannels are extremely quick. The Descent, is a three-way, servo controlled subwoofer which is also fully adjustable. I have posted many times on this forum, and sing the praises of this wonderfully dynamic subwoofer. I could not do without it, in my system. I was just wondering how much % do you listen to music vs. HT? Also will you be adding other ML speakers to your system?

Again welcome and enjoy, "Trust your ears". :D

Cheers

-Robin

I have a pair of Mosaics for my fronts and have been happy with them so far.

I listened to the Rel at the store. I know the sales person there to some degree and I think he knows his stuff very well and would have the Sub set up correctly. The room was treated and had bass traps in each corner. I have listened to several speakers in this room and they always sound better there than they do in my house.
After listening to the Rel and Paradigm, I felt no need to bring them home to try. They both sounded very nice but didn't seem as punchy or fast as the Martin Logan for music. To be fair, I listened to the ML at a different shop so it wasn't a direct comparison.
I liked both better for movies though and was hoping that I could get the best of both worlds with a depth or descent. Maybe this will not be the case though so I think I will wait until my local dealer gets a descent in that I can demo and bring home with me to be sure. I guess I can make it another month.

A very wise plan....

sprtfan,

You are very wise... ;)

Your plan to demo the Descent in your own home, I agree with as well.

If the ML Club, has taught me anything, it's to try to audition gear, in my own home, with my own system. IMHO, their is nothing that can compair, with an in home audition. :D It takes patience and work, but it is worth it, in the long run...

Enjoy

-Robin

martin subs

i have 2 Depth subs that are behind my SL'3s (Martin Logans suggestion) about 1' away from the corner. i do not even now they are there till it is time for them to be there. i am not sorry i went in debt for them. Music and theatre sound great. Love them.

Back