Martin Logan Speaker Distance

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KERMI

Gentleman, I wanted to know in a HT what is the optimum distance from the Front Speakers.

For Example: Scripts in Front or Clarity in Front.

My seating is going to be about 10 -12 feet from screen but if I go with the Clarity's I think they have to be a minimum 2 feet from the wall for sound.

is 8 - 10 feet in front of the speakers, too close for HT?

thank you for your help

distance isnt that important (just ask Robin :) ) Whats more important is maintaining the same distance for all the speakers, and if possible, a 30 degree angle on the left right and surrounds, and of course 90 for the center. That creates an equilateral triangle that should give the best performance. And if you go with ML's, any of them, you should get about 2 1/2 or 3 feet between them and the back wall. Electrostats are bipolar, and thus radiate a 180 degree phase off the back stator. The distance will improve the size of the soundstage and the focus of the sound making your pretty new ML's dissapear.

Distance isn't as important as geometery - as above. Take a good read of your manual - it explains it exceptionally well, but importantly, make sure you are sitting at equal or greater distance from your speakers as they are apart.

Thanks Guys...

question, if I can get only 2 feet behind my speakers in front, is there something to put behind the speakers on the wall to help the imaging out.

1. would you want a harder surface, or diffusion..?

2. I know the scripts are designed to mount on the wall and only have about 6 inches behind them. Is that a different design then the lager ML for that reason?

Thank you again for all of the help..

question, if I can get only 2 feet behind my speakers in front, is there something to put behind the speakers on the wall to help the imaging out.

1. would you want a harder surface, or diffusion..?
1. Neither...you should use absorption in that area. An absorption panel behind each speaker or at least centered on the front wall between the speakers should help with imaging and depth especially if the speaker needs to be close to the front wall. (However, you probably have a TV or center channel in the center). Also, absorption or diffusion at the first reflection point on your side walls is also normally recommended.

If you can't move your speakers away from a wall then an adjacent absorption panel is a real good alternative or may be even a better option depending on your particular room acoustics.

Panels are easy to make. I just made a pair of 2'X4' absorption panels and a pair of corner busters yesterday. I plan to make more plus a couple of bass traps real soon. When I do I'll take pictures and post on the DIY section.

My front stage is 12.5 feet by 2.5 feet (small ht set up).

with a bass trap angled in each corner (about 20 inches from back wall and side wall) (a2 + b2 = c2 angled).

this leaves about 9 feet for the width of the front wall

i plan on the speakers being about 6-7 feet apart once it is complete.

leaving about 2 - 2.5 feet from each side wall and about 2.5 feet from front wall to the front of the speakers.

The front wall plan was to treat the whole wall, floor to ceiling, bass trap 48 inches up from the floor in each front wall corner.

Have not gotten to the side walls yet but will look at reflection points when I decide on the speakers (mirror technique)

Am I on the right path...??

thanks

The front wall plan was to treat the whole wall, floor to ceiling, bass trap 48 inches up from the floor in each front wall corner.

Have not gotten to the side walls yet but will look at reflection points when I decide on the speakers (mirror technique)

Am I on the right path...??
Rather than treat the entire front wall you will probably get better results if treat all four walls only in strategic locations. I've heard panels work good behind the rear scripts. I haven't tried that in my room yet. The mirror technique is what I was refering to.

I think you're on the right path and it should sound great.

Back