Martin Logan Serial Number Decoder - Collaborative Update Project

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeji

Reaction score
I found this forum thru a Google link to the Martin Logan Serial Number Decoder.
So I suppose I am not the only one interested by such decoder.
Unfortunately, it dates back 8 years and ignores the later models. Furthermore, some post on the forum mentioned ML introduced at some point (which model or year ?) a completely different encoding scheme.
Anyway, I believe it would be of some interest for second hands buyers like me to have an updated S/N documentation.

So if enough ML owners could contribute with the later models encoding (first 2 letters) and the new encoding (years > 2014), I could merge all inputs and update the original document.
Attached are 2 versions, one PDF as the original (Martin Logan Serial Number Decoder.pdf) with my own updates, and one Text (Martin Logan Serial Number Decoder.txt).
You may directly update the Text file and post it again as attachment, or just post the relevant information.
Note that my original file is in Excel, but martinloganowners.com forum does not allow Excel attachments.

DO NOT POST YOUR FULL S/N, for obvious reasons.

Thanks for your help.

View attachment Martin Logan Serial Number Decoder.pdf
View attachment Martin Logan Serial Number Decoder.txt

Expression 13A built January 2019, confirmed by ML.
Serial number is structured: ABC1234567L01
The last three digits = Date Code
Mine ends with L01, which is L=2019 01=January

@ttocs : Thanks for being the first to contribute !
We will need more examples to be sure, but it looks like the switch between the "old" numbering scheme and the current one may have happened in 2008 : Old -> T, New -> A ?.
1234567 : is that the serial number ?
ABC : could you give us the value for Expression 13A ?

Well, I tried to get confirmation from Martin Logan of the type / year of some second-hand loudspeakers, whose S/N I had, and they never answered me.
I suppose somebody with a tight relationship with somebody high in the hierarchy of Martin Logan could have a better chance, but since I am not among those happy few...

Well, I tried to get confirmation from Martin Logan of the type / year of some second-hand loudspeakers, whose S/N I had, and they never answered me.
I suppose somebody with a tight relationship with somebody high in the hierarchy of Martin Logan could have a better chance, but since I am not among those happy few...
It's a shame - given ML gave the first lot of info.

I wouldn't give up - try again.

@ttocs : Thanks for being the first to contribute !
We will need more examples to be sure, but it looks like the switch between the "old" numbering scheme and the current one may have happened in 2008 : Old -> T, New -> A ?.
1234567 : is that the serial number ?
ABC : could you give us the value for Expression 13A ?
Yes, I wasn't thinking about the model code. AFJ are the first three digits, followed by the numerals, then the L01 at the end.

The consecutive numerals are not the actual serial number, but just an easy way to show where and how many numerals there are.

It'll be difficult to establish much of any pattern until enough data is collected and correlated per year due to the fact that some model codes are at the beginning, and others at the end. I tried to make sense of when the alphabet rolls over to A again, but couldn't.

My Vista speakers had a serial format of VIXB 123. Confirmed by ML they were made in X=2012, B=February. So I assume VI=Vista. This info agrees the decoder pdf you posted.

Last edited:
I replaced my Prodigy panels in August 2018, and the serial number is:

PSDGnnnn

D=2018 (Z=2014, A=2015, B=2016, C=2017, D=2018)
G=July

Thanks for the correction.
I updated the decoder according to your information.

Attachments

• Martin Logan Serial Number Decoder.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 61
Well, if you have Serial Numbers for CLX, you can check if they fit the general encoding pattern.
If they do, I will gladly add them to my enhanced decoder.

Last edited:
Well, if you have Serial Numbers for CLX, you can check if they fit the general encoding pattern.
If they do, I will gladly add them to my enhanced decoder.

Serial Numbers are CXWF 002 and 003 which indicates they were manufactured early June 2011

No CX on decoder ring...only C for CLS; may need to add CS?!

Updated Decoder, thanks to BigGuy :)

Attachments

66.9 KB · Views: 26
No Summit???
Well, if you have an example of Summit S/N, I will gladly add it.
The original decoder, which apparently was published by Martin Logan itself, was before the Summit (and the Summit X, which I added).

SUMMIT added to S/N Decoder, thanks to 18000rpm :)

Attachments

66.8 KB · Views: 43
Back