Martin Logan Panel Repair Available In Germany

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That just can't be, Justin. According to the good folks at ML, it is simply not technically feasible to refurbish older panels. Never mind that CAP did it himself in just a few hours.

Hm mylar - don't they make potato chip packets out of that (answer - they do)? Must be REAL expensive. I guess this German dude is incurring heavy losses.

:ROFL:

All - please excuse my sarcasm - but it IS pretty funny. Well, I think so anyway.

Hm mylar - don't they make potato chip packets out of that (answer - they do)? Must be REAL expensive. I guess this German dude is incurring heavy losses.

:ROFL:

All - please excuse my sarcasm - but it IS pretty funny. Well, I think so anyway.

Oh no . . . the mylar ML uses is extra-super-special premium mylar that is made from unobtanium and costs a small fortune. And don't even get me started on the costs of the rare sheet metal making up the stator panels. I hear they are forged at the base of Mt. Doom itself, and that is what gives ML's their unique sound.

Sinister, sly, cunning, gangsta third party back street chip packet refurb option coming to a state near you... real soon or sooner.

It's not the mylar itself, it is how to get the conductive coating on it that is difficult. At least, having a coating that is applied evenly and stays on for longer than a year.

Mylar tensioning is important too.

Anyway, the point of the thread is that ML, whether consciously or not, have probably priced themselves out of the market. As such, 3rd parties WILL appear. Moreover, their solutions may well be better, with a bit of luck. They may also offer different mylar thickness options, spacers and a whole host of other mods if they are enterprising enough.

As this evolves (if it does) it will be interesting learn about comparisons between ML Electroactive polymers and the alternatives in the same structure.

Are there patents involved here?
J

Mylar tensioning is important too.

Anyway, the point of the thread is that ML, whether consciously or not, have probably priced themselves out of the market. As such, 3rd parties WILL appear. Moreover, their solutions may well be better, with a bit of luck. They may also offer different mylar thickness options, spacers and a whole host of other mods if they are enterprising enough.

Too right Justin.

The third parties could do a whole lot better than ML (in which case ML will get a bad name) and they could do a whole lot worse than ML too (in which case ML will still get a bad name with poor sounding speakers bearing their name all over the place). It's a lose-lose scenario for them. Crazy.

Last edited:
After reading all this bad stuff about Martin Logan speakers on this website, I've decided to sell my ML Theos and FX2 and buy something else...
:sad:

Not bad stuff about the sound . Some find the replacement panel cost to be high potentially affecting resale.
If you like the sound , makes sense to keep them.

J

Last edited:
Not bad stuff about the sound . Some find the replacement panel cost to be high potentially affecting resale.
If you like the sound , makes sense to keep them.

J

............potentially affecting your ability and means to achieve good sound in the future.

Eminently serious issue here.

No resale value = no money to buy new speakers / upgrade
High panel cost = limited / no ability to ensure your MLs keep optimal sound.

If one owns the speaker and one likes the sound why not keep them if by your logic there is no resale value?

Your argument suggests one should never buy ML in the future; Not part with a working system .

While I do not agree with a number of your comments on this subject, I truly do not understand why one would part with a system that sounds nice based on your logic if the resale value is low.

If you have a vendetta against ML so be it. However try to be logical within your own world view.

Why not enjoy?

J

Last edited:
If one owns the speaker and one likes the sound why not keep them if by your logic there is no resale value?

Your argument suggests one should never buy ML in the future; Not part with a working system .

While I do not agree with a number of your comments on this subject, I truly do not understand why one would part with a system that sounds nice based on your logic if the resale value is low.

If you have a vendetta against ML so be it. However try to be logical within your own world view.

Why not enjoy?

J

Because the panel is a CONSUMABLE PART!!!!!

If one likes the sound today, you will NOT like the sound tomorrow because the panels age because they are consumable. They require replacement. Otherwise you'll have no output above 10,000 Hz. Is that what you want in 30 years time?

Because the panel is a CONSUMABLE PART!!!!!

If one likes the sound today, you will NOT like the sound tomorrow because the panels age because they are consumable. They require replacement. Otherwise you'll have no output above 10,000 Hz. Is that what you want in 30 years time?
Probably more like significantly reduced output across the spectrum, and little to nothing above 5khz and as soon as 15 to 20 years. While this may be acceptable with something priced like the EM series, it most certainly is not acceptable with the high end ESL models that sell for 10 to 25 grand!

Probably more like significantly reduced output across the spectrum, and little to nothing above 5khz and as soon as 15 to 20 years. While this may be acceptable with something priced like the EM series, it most certainly is not acceptable with the high end ESL models that sell for 10 to 25 grand!

Even in the EM series Rich - near enough is NOT good enough. If near enough was good enough, I'd buy some $100 Pioneer or Sony POS boxes and wouldn't think about audio equipment for the next 20 years.

As the panels age, we generally demand immediate replacement. And at the very least know that replacement is to our avail as and when we need it.

People don't buy ML (even the EM series) because they think "near enough is good enough".

ML customers demand perfection. That is the sole reason they hand over sometimes up to 2500 times what the would need to to get music in their homes. The sooner Shorewhatever realise that the better.

B&W 802D price list, prices are each:

Diamond Tweeter w/ housing $1223
Midrange $312

So the equivalent of panel replacement on the 802d will cost more than $3000. Unless you factor in used market pricing, MLs replacement panel costs aren't that bad and probably on par with other hifi brands.

Seems to me the most logical approach ML management should take wrt panel replacements would be to offer a significant discount (say 25%) *IF* you are the original owner. Those of us who purchased used shouldn't complain about having to pony up for panel replacement (as long as the price is still reasonable).

I purchased my original Aerius i's new, and my ML Summits used (a few months old at the time). I've been "waiting" to upgrade to the next gen Summit XXX (or whatever it will be called) but will certainly consider a competing brand, if the long-term cost of ownership continues to climb. Unfortunately, that appears to be the trend.

Back