Martin Logan Newbie

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soloracer951

Reaction score
Hello,

Through the powers of E-Bay (Evil Bay to some) I just purchased the start of what I hope will be a very satisfying home theatre. A few weeks ago I purchased a pair of Quest Z's (just before 2 sets of ReQuests came up....damn - when it rains it pours) and I just bought a Logos center channel. I thought I would post here to ask a few basic questions. Firstly, do you think a Bryston 8BST or 4BSST would be a good amplifier for the Quests. The e-bay advertisement said that the Logos was "powered" however I believe that the power is the same as all electrostats and that a amplifier is still needed. Does the Logos have a built in amplifier?

I'm going to slowly build the system because these things expensive - even used. If anyone has some commentary or opinions of what I bought so far please share. I'm kicking myself a little for buying the Quest Z's when if I had waited I could have gotten a pair of ReQuests for about $500 more. Is there really a large difference between the two? How do you think they will sound with the Logos?

Thanks!

Welcome to this fine forum solo. I am not the one to answer your questions. Just wanted to welcome you here. You will find a lot of extremely knowledgable people here and some wonderful advice.

I use a Bryston to power center channel Cinema i and rear channel Frescos. I am quite happy with the sound. ML center channels do not contain a self-powered amplifier. However, they must be connected to a wall outlet to charge the panel. (Soon to have Summits for fronts.)

Hi Solo,

I've never heard the Brystons before, but have read online that they are good with Logans, but may be a little "bright".

Don't kick yourself for not buying the reQuests.. The Quest z's are fine speakers and you'll love them!

The Logos will be a very nice match for your system.. I have the reQuests and a cinema and they match beautifully. I've heard the Logos is superior to the Cinema, but again have never heard it in person...

Welcome aboard and let us know how we can help.

Tom.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I was just thinking that I don't have speakers for the rear yet...hmmmmm....maybe Quest Z's in the back and ReQuests up front. Do you think that would be overkill? I believe a lot of people use the Scripts in the rear but price wise I can probably score a set of ReQuests for about the same price. My Logos doesn't come with a mounting bracket and I was wondering if anyone has tried an in wall mount. I know the electrostats push sound out the back as well but I thought that sound deadening material was used to keep this effect to a minimum. Would mounting the Logos in a recessed hole in the wall be of concern? I think I'm going to have to audition a few amplifiers to see what I like. I've read good things about another Canadian company called Blue Circle and how their products work with the ML speakers.

There are MLs that can be recessed-wall mounted, but they are not electrostats. They use a principal that is similar to Magnepans. Check the website MartinLogan.com for details. BTW, the rear channels that I use use the same technolgy and I find them completely adaquate. Electrostatics need room to breathe and space from the rear wall.

I am using Bryston 4BST to power my ML Odysseys and my friend uses Bryston 4BSST to power his ML Ascent i's. We have no complain at all and NO, Brystons are not
"bright" at all. In fact they may be "dull" to some speakers (but not MLs).

/Transpa.

For music, you may consider a tube preamp to go with the SS power and I think this
is a very popular combination.

/Transpa.

Well I went and bought a Denon AVR-5800 for my home theater. Does anyone have experience with this unit? I really wanted to go with separates but for the price I couldn't pass on this receiver. I also liked the idea that the amp can run multiroom systems so I can be watching a movie downstairs and someone upstairs can listen to music. So far my home theater equipment is as follows:

Power: Denon AVR-5800
Front Speakers: Martin Logan Requests
Center Channel: Martin Logan Logos
Rear Speakers: Martin Logan Quest Z's
Rear Center: Martin Logan Scripts

I'm still looking for a sub - probably go with an SVS unit after the reviews here. I'm also considering another set of Scripts to use as rear speakers thus allowing me to put the Quest Z's upstairs to listen to music.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

soloracer951 said:
Well I went and bought a Denon AVR-5800 for my home theater. Does anyone have experience with this unit? I really wanted to go with separates but for the price I couldn't pass on this receiver. I also liked the idea that the amp can run multiroom systems so I can be watching a movie downstairs and someone upstairs can listen to music. So far my home theater equipment is as follows:

Power: Denon AVR-5800
Front Speakers: Martin Logan Requests
Center Channel: Martin Logan Logos
Rear Speakers: Martin Logan Quest Z's
Rear Center: Martin Logan Scripts

I'm still looking for a sub - probably go with an SVS unit after the reviews here. I'm also considering another set of Scripts to use as rear speakers thus allowing me to put the Quest Z's upstairs to listen to music.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Wow! :eek:

Request up front, Quest Z's for rears and Scripts in the back not to mention a logo's center channels. That’s a big load for one receiver to handle.

It should play fine I don’t know how much headroom your going to have, watch for clipping at first.

Back