Martin Logan ESL

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnyjax

Reaction score
Hi, i have a pair of martin logan ESL. My room size is about length 18.2 feet, width 14.8 feet and height 11.1 feet. I place my speaker on the front about 1 foot from side wall and 2 feet from front wall. my listening position about 12 feet from front wall. My question is when I move my listening position 1 foot behind MLP and around 6 inches higher, I got much better sound stage, the sound more open dan spacious.
Now, my question how do adjust the toe in or tilt of the speaker so I can get the same sound stage from MLP. The problem because of room constraint, I cannot move my listening position nor speaker position. I can only adjust the toe in and tilt. Right now the toe in is about inner third as martin logan suggest. Thanks for any advice.

Use a flashlight and while in the "good sounding position" take a photo of the reflections in the speaker panels. Then try to duplicate from the MLP.

This doesn't guarantee success due to other room acoustics, but it may provide a starting path.

Use a flashlight and while in the "good sounding position" take a photo of the reflections in the speaker panels. Then try to duplicate from the MLP.

This doesn't guarantee success due to other room acoustics, but it may provide a starting path.

That is good idea. On MLP now when listening to the music,the singer vocal is dominant and the singer vocal seems quite close and around 3-4 feet tall from MLP. but when I moved a foot back and 6 inch higher from MLP, the singer vocal not as dominant and the singer seems beyond the front wall and feels the voice come around 5-6 feet tall.

try to adjust stat panel(by feet on the bottom of speaker cabinet) to bring panel intro alignment from your preferred listening position. Assuming your seated with your ear level 38-40" off the floor this will mean bringing the panel to a more vertical position. Visualize a straight line from your ear going to the stat panel, the intersection will be perpendicular at a 90 degree angle.

try to adjust stat panel(by feet on the bottom of speaker cabinet) to bring panel intro alignment from your preferred listening position. Assuming your seated with your ear level 38-40" off the floor this will mean bringing the panel to a more vertical position. Visualize a straight line from your ear going to the stat panel, the intersection will be perpendicular at a 90 degree angle.

thank you, I will try that.

Hi, i have a pair of martin logan ESL. My room size is about length 18.2 feet, width 14.8 feet and height 11.1 feet. I place my speaker on the front about 1 foot from side wall and 2 feet from front wall. my listening position about 12 feet from front wall. My question is when I move my listening position 1 foot behind MLP and around 6 inches higher, I got much better sound stage, the sound more open dan spacious.
Now, my question how do adjust the toe in or tilt of the speaker so I can get the same sound stage from MLP. The problem because of room constraint, I cannot move my listening position nor speaker position. I can only adjust the toe in and tilt. Right now the toe in is about inner third as martin logan suggest. Thanks for any advice.

Your room dimensions are nearly same to my room dimensions.

I have placed my ML’s 2 feet 8 inches from side wall and back of ML 4 feet 8 inches from front wall. Between speakers space is 6 feet 8 inches.

I no longer place ML on bricks. Sound is improved without raising the ESL 9 loudspeakers.

A very knowledgeable professional advised me to place the loudspeaker so that they are first parallel to the back and front wall. Then adjust toe in in increments of one inch. In other words the loudspeaker should not be pointing towards listening chair. Forget the inner one third panel flashlight rule. In addition open rear feet from complete close position to 2 turns open. Front feet should be completely closed.

My listening chair is 8 feet from speakers. I have entered in the integrated, distance of speakers from listening position, of 10 feet. MLP is 2 feet inside the distance entered in the integrated. This way there is less audible loss of micro dynamics or nuances. Toe in is inch and half. Minimal but enough not to lose all slam while at the same time not pointing towards the listening chair.

While I have followed the above sound advice from members in the past and obtained great sonics. These days I follow this new approach. If you wish u can try both approaches and see which one suits you.

Have fun listening to music.:music:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reinforcing what M15 suggested, you may find this video from an audio conference about speaker placement by ear interesting: Go to 18:06, this is where the explanation begins.

It's what I did to get the "extreme" setup I currently enjoy. You gotta do what your room wants.

Reinforcing what M15 suggested, you may find this video from an audio conference about speaker placement by ear interesting: Go to 18:06, this is where the explanation begins.

It's what I did to get the "extreme" setup I currently enjoy. You gotta do what your room wants.

Nice video, thank you for posting it.

SO much wisdom in this! Thanks for sharing this.

Wow, excellent video. I'm still playing around with my ESL 15's, plus I have my REL's to integrate (and I have a really weird room) so I think I will try this... (y)

Latest posts

Back