Martin Logan CLS:: which sub??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

limeboy

I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of CLS from a friend... My power amps are a pair of mono blocks by dynaco... Mark VI.... 120 watts from 1972... I stayed with a dynaco Pas3 preamp... Any ideas on a tube Cd player and subwoofer..... Another Martin Logan enthusiast told me to go with an M&K subwoofer...... As you can tell my knowledge in this is quite limited...

Any help
Limeboy
PS: doesnt matter what I listen 2... I always have to turn the bass tone way down on my preamp to the negatives to prevent bass boom.....

If you have a consistent Bass Boom problem then I would suspect it to be more likely to be caused by your particular room acoustics rather than electronics and if so it will always be a problem until you correct the room acoustics for it. If it's caused by your room acoustics then correcting It could be as simple as relocating your speakers, and/or subwoofer (if you are using one now). Provide us with more details of your setup such room dimensions, hard vs soft flooring, wall type/treament, components, currently using a sub or not, are you getting bass boom with CLS speakers only (?).

There are many modifications for your Dynaco equipment that are available. These modifications will extend the frequency extremes of your listening. The mods can either be done by yourself or by a shop. (I've done many Dyna mods myself.) Try Googling "Dyna modifications" and see what you get. Dyna stuff was designed so many years ago that current technologies were not available. I guarantee you'll solve many of your issues without resorting to a subwoofer. It must be said, however, that you still might want one, nevertheless. You might look at ML products such as the Depth and the Descent.

Back