Martin Logan CLS II

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdorp

Reaction score
Hello! I own a pair of CLS2, manufactured in 1979. Is there any type of maintenance or precaution necessary to connect the speakers that have been in disuse for years?
Thanks!

CLS II was launched in 1989 per ML site. Would vacuum them and fire them up and see if the panels still work.

CLS II was launched in 1989 per ML site. Would vacuum them and fire them up and see if the panels still work.
Yes! I am older than the speakers. Reason why i messed up with the year,(79/89)
Thanks for the advice. I Will give a feedback as soon as i do It!

I am listening to Rebecca Pidgeon on a pair of recently acquired CLSII's (1992) w/ original panels. They are supremely engaging and giving my 3 month old 11A's a serious run for their money in terms of warmth and a much more organic presentation. I know Roberto says 11A's are improved but my ears tell me otherwise. We'll see....hopefully the 11's are still breaking in.
I hope yours sing too. Do NOT let these go.

Lightloopy,
If your liking is with the CLSs, that's ok. I am only pointing out the improvement that the new models have.
1) They do not resonate...there are a mask, a things that are not part of the music with the older models. Specially with voices.
2) The new stat panel has over 40% to be exposed to the air. In other words, the new panels are more dynamic and have much more extension.
3) The new adhesive to make the panels conductive is made at atomic level with aluminum. The older panels conductive coat were made with transition elements.
4)This is ML achievement: ... Advanced MicroPerf stator technology, which allows for almost twice the exposed electrostatic diaphragm surface as a traditional electrostatic panel of the same size. A reinforced electrostatic panel with rigid ClearSpar™ spacers, keeping an exact level of tension on the vacuum-bonded diaphragm without obscuring the beautiful see-through design. Add to these the slender, pointed-arrow design of the new AirFrame™...
5) Your A11 are very easy to drive. Try to use valve amplifier to drive them. Tubes sound shines with ML.
If your 11A are not sounding nicely, be careful with their adjustments. If you don't do it right, their sound will be really bad.
Their placement is very tricky too. They should be at least 3 to 4 feet away of their back wall. Side walls are important, but not as the back wall.

Because they are bright at the beginning, they need to sedle down...they need some break in time.

They don't need big power amplifiers. This has the benefit to find the right amp that really suites to your taste.
Trust me, they are really that good.
If you want to get the most of them just PM me. I will give to you some recommendations that you might like to do.

Happy listening!

Hi Roberto,
I appreciate your passion for the new technology and sound. I plan on giving them a year at least to settle in. I have not kept a formal log of hours on it but they have clearly improved in the mid range.
Thank you for the invite to PM- I will do that.
Enjoy!

Hi Roberto,
I appreciate your passion for the new technology and sound. I plan on giving them a year at least to settle in. I have not kept a formal log of hours on it but they have clearly improved in the mid range.
Thank you for the invite to PM- I will do that.
Enjoy!
I've been hearing that about the panels. Im having my Prodigy panels refurbished now and Russ told me that there should be no break in period, but one of his customers just told me that his speakers are sounding better after some time.

I've never had a new set of ML electrostats, so I don't know. If you are using processing like audyssey, then I suspect it would help to run it again once the speakers start sounding better?

I don't use any processing. I don't recall having to break in the SL3 panels I replaced 10 yrs ago. As Roberto says, these are completely different in construction all together and may take longer. Time will tell.

Back