Martin Logan Aeon I

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregLett

Reaction score
Has anyone heard this speaker? I will have a chance to hear it from my dealer next week when stop by. I know it's an old model, but the price is good, and I can get a proper audition there. I tried to hear the newer models at some other dealers in my area, but there setup's were horrible. I also didn't like their attitude, one track and they're looking for your card.

I have the same model and was considering moving up to the newer ones, the Vista and/or the Vantage. From what I have read and heard, most or all the hardware is the same on the Vista as the Aeon i, and the electrostat panel is the same as on the Vantage. If the price for the Aeon i's are noticeably less than the Vista's I would get the former (again).
P.S.: I could be wrong, hope others will chime in.

Greg -

What dealers did you try? I live in Eastern Queens and I know (and have used) every dealer in the city Nassau and Suffolk. Sounds to me like you tried Harvey. Let me know and I'll give you some advice.

I have the Aeon i speakers and I found them a nice step up from an already great Aerius i pair I had for five years.:)

Has anyone heard this speaker? I will have a chance to hear it from my dealer next week when stop by. I know it's an old model, but the price is good, and I can get a proper audition there. I tried to hear the newer models at some other dealers in my area, but there setup's were horrible. I also didn't like their attitude, one track and they're looking for your card.

I like the aeons - however, if you can find a nice pair of used ascents - I think it is a nice step up. I just don't know how much $$$ you are looking at. The aeons have a smaller sweet spot - but I have heard them sound absolutely magical driven off of some Mac gear. It was the 'voices coming from nowhere' experience. Hopefully you will hear it too!!

I was an owner of Aeon I speakers for about three years and have recently upgraded to the Vantages.

My room is rather large with a cathedral ceiling.

The Aeons were fine, but they seemed to strain in such a large room. Complex passages of music seemed a little congested. The midranged especially tended to sound a bit clogged.

The "sweet spot" was very limited. Just moving up a back a bit changed the sound.

The Vantage was a completely different picture. I have read many different opinions on amps and pre amps. The audio dealer I work with loves Conrad Johnson Tube Pre Amps with Conrad Johnson SS Amps. I trust his opinion and found this combination to be great.

The Vantages do not strain, the midrange is fantastic, and the Sweet Spot is extended. While they are more expensive than the Aeon I or Vista's I would certainly buy the Vantages if money was not an issue.

Be extremely careful about your amp, pre amp, and Cd player. The wrong equipment can bring up many of the painful comments that you have read in various posts.

While you should trust your ears, some good advice is worth it's weight in gold.

Hope this was helpful.

Mike

Greg,

I have Aeon is but since they are my first pair of Logans I cannot really compare them to the newer models. What I can say is that these speakers are a constant source of enjoyment. They did cause me to replace every single component in my system with better ones to do them justice. In the process I caught the Upgrade Bug badly. The same might happen to you ;). My Aeons will be replaced shortly with one of the newer ML models because of the new improved panels. My Aeons were a steal at $2000 so I did not even think about spending $3800 on Vistas, then. Mine were mint demonstrators which were not even broken in yet. For perspective, I could have gotten a new pair for $2300 (but only in black).

Ignoring Tweeters poor reputation here, I will recommend buying from them. You can return the speakers within 30 days if you don't like them. You also have one year from the date of purchase to "uptrade" to a better model by paying the difference between what you paid and what the uptrade speakers will cost then. This is what I will do once I make up my mind which newer ML model I want.

Beakman,

The Vistas not only have new panels but also a new frames and chassis, and I believe new cross-overs, too. However the woofer may be the same.

Greg -

What dealers did you try? I live in Eastern Queens and I know (and have used) every dealer in the city Nassau and Suffolk. Sounds to me like you tried Harvey. Let me know and I'll give you some advice.

Ha Ha You are so right. If I didn't know any better I would just say the ML's are terrible speakers and walk away. Thy are running them with NAD equipment and it's just not a good match. He switched on the Krell by chance and it was much much better.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Once I'm able to listen well I can make a decision. I'm not totally sold on ML i just want to give as many speakers
a listen as possible before I by.

The other big question is room size. Would a 10x14 room be too small?

Greg -

Before y9u give up on MLs, you really should try AudioVisions in Babylon. Things there are set up with much more care than at Harvey. I bought my Ascents at Harvey, and after an unpleasant experience there, bought my Summits at Sound by Singer. Either of the other 2 that I mentioned would probably provide you with a much more pleasant shopping experience.

Greg -

Before y9u give up on MLs, you really should try AudioVisions in Babylon. Things there are set up with much more care than at Harvey. I bought my Ascents at Harvey, and after an unpleasant experience there, bought my Summits at Sound by Singer. Either of the other 2 that I mentioned would probably provide you with a much more pleasant shopping experience.

:) That's exactly where I'm going (AudioVisions). I've known Steve for years.
I purchased my first and second pair of speakers there. He has the Aeon in the front room. I'm at the point where he is the only Dealer I'm happy to spend my money. He doesn't have the Vantage though I wish he did.

Beakman,

The Vistas not only have new panels but also a new frames and chassis, and I believe new cross-overs, too. However the woofer may be the same.

Glad you cleared that up for me. Sound Advice (the folks who sold me my pair) has a customer appreciation sale this weekend. I just may upgrade.

Greg, see, I told you you could find some help over here !!!

Greg -

One more thing. AudioVisons carries Audio Research. Try to ask Steve if he can demo any MartinLogan speaker for you with Audio Research tubes. Tell us what you think after you hear them. Also do me a favor - tell Steve Seth says hi. Thanks.

Greg -

One more thing. AudioVisons carries Audio Research. Try to ask Steve if he can demo any MartinLogan speaker for you with Audio Research tubes. Tell us what you think after you hear them. Also do me a favor - tell Steve Seth says hi. Thanks.

Seth no problem thanks. I think He will use an AR tube amp.

The Aeons are a good introduction to Martin Logan, but I prefer the later Aeon i. I have recently directly compared the Aeon i with my Summits - I was going to buy them for rears for movies. But I changed my mind and bought a pair of Vignettes instead (more about this in a later thread). The Aeon i sounded very nice and tight in my room. They offered a huge slice of the ML sound for very little money. In absolute terms the Aeon i's lacked extension and dynamics compared with the Summits. The soundstage was smaller and there wasn't as much depth. But overall they faired well. I would recommend the Aeon i to anyone who can't afford the big step into the latest models from ML.

P.S. I tried the Aeon i's with my Cambridge Audio 540R V2 and the result was excellent. So you don't really need big power to make good music.

Last edited:
edwinr They are the Aeon I, They are great.

Well gang I stopped by today (couldn't wait) to audition a pair of Aeon I that my dealer had setup
with A.R. gear. Well to make a long story short I bought them. I guess I'm now officially in the
club.

Last edited:
About 15 years ago I did the same when I heard the Sequel II driven by ARC tubes (Classic 60 amp.) ML has advanced their product line every few years since then and unfortunately, the changes have been all too easy to hear. I've used three different ML models for my stereo pair since then. I now also use a Cinema ifor a center channel and Frescos for rear surrounds. My stereo pair are Summits. Beware the upgrade bug! It is contageous and lethal!

Back