Mark Levinson recommendation for Spires

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technomad

Reaction score
I’m looking at (at various prices) the Mark Levinson 331, 334 and 431 for my new-to-me Spires - opinions from those who’ve used these combinations or similar would be most welcome!

I am currently using a 331 in my system and am very happy with the Levinson. Originally, I thought I'd need a 333 (or at least 332) to replace the outgoing 300wpc Classe' CA-300, but I was proven wrong. The 331 at 100wpc (into 8 ohms) sounds more powerful than the Classe'. The Levinson's bass is more taut, more impact, while offering tonal body to the lower (male) vocal range. As TomDac mentioned, please check to make sure the soda-can sized caps have been replaced.

I am currently using a 331 in my system and am very happy with the Levinson. Originally, I thought I'd need a 333 (or at least 332) to replace the outgoing 300wpc Classe' CA-300, but I was proven wrong. The 331 at 100wpc (into 8 ohms) sounds more powerful than the Classe'. The Levinson's bass is more taut, more impact, while offering tonal body to the lower (male) vocal range. As TomDac mentioned, please check to make sure the soda-can sized caps have been replaced.
Very good points about the cap replacement, thanks - the 331 I’m looking at had them replaced 3 years ago - I’ve asked about the others, but it sounds like, all things being equal, I might be better off with a 331 with caps that have been replaced vs a 334 or 431 of unknown provenance.

Back