Mark Levinson Equipment

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

audiophileman1234

Has any one ever owned Mark Levinson equipment? We own a lot of it but i just wanted to hear what everyone thought. We love the equipment besides the price. LOL. But when your shopping hi end audio you got to put down the buck i guess. :)

audiophileman1234 said:
Has any one ever owned Mark Levinson equipment? We own a lot of it but i just wanted to hear what everyone thought. We love the equipment besides the price. LOL. But when your shopping hi end audio you got to put down the buck i guess. :)

Hola...I still have a pair of monoblcks model 2. with the preamps model ML-6A two mono units with separated power supplies. I used them long time ago, driving my CLSs and the sound was one of the best. Very sweet, right in size with the instruments and very good highs also. The bass was robust and deep, effortless too. Mark Levinson uses Martin Logan as a tool design even on these days. The new power amps I can´t tell, becasue I have not heard them yet, but they are build with the best way possible, and using very good quality materials. Several years ago, they used teflon P.C.Boards instead of fiber glass or Bakelite. In the new models you don´t find a cable inside...everything is on the printed circuit board. Very difficult to build like this and expensive too. Mark Levinson is made by Madrigal Audio and Madrigal Audio was bought by Harmann Kardon, some time ago and now the Lexicon Co. that belongs to Harman Kardon group too is on charge of the sales...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Last edited:
what's the signature sound of Mark Levinson gear, esp. the amps?

I used to have a 333 amp and a 39 CD player. I liked both units, except for the price like you said.

I find their sound to be detailed but not overly forward or harsh. I'd say it's a pretty good balance. Good dynamics and imaging as well - the soundstage really clears up (instrument spacing, etc).

Hi,
I use a ML26 preamp and a ML23 amp to drive my Sequel II's and I agree with Roberto and Dyazdani.
Their sound is incredibly precise and very musical. The dynamics are also impressive. The 23 amp seems to have no limit of power and is having fun driving the Sequel II's.
The phono stage on the 26 preamp is state of the art for me.
Recent models seem to be less apreciated when you look at the second hand market.

Regards from France
Raphaël.

Dynamics is the one description which is repeated.

I've not owned this equipment before, but in a shop/store you can tell someone is auditioning it. Sounds like someone cranking up the soundtrack for a large H.T. demo (in a good way) - very dynamic. :)

I've used a ML 335 amp with CLS and Quests. The amp was really good with the CLS. Lots of control and spatiality. That was a really good combination. Unfortunately, they were ruined in a move. It is a great match for the Quests.

I'd like to know how it would mate with the Summit.

Add me to the list

I've owned the ML-9 in the past. It was a bit darker sounding than the newer amps. I then sold that and bought Audio Research Classic 120 monoblocks powering Sequel II's (loved the tube amps on the panels) and have come back to solid state. I'm presently using a ML 335 on my Odysseys and it sounds as described above. I'd like to add it has a wide soundstage especially noticed on Martin Logans. I'm sure you've heard it when some instruments are imaging on the edge of the speaker and others are more centered in the soundstage depending on the recording? Just heard for the first time the new series of Mark Levinson amps I think it was the 434 at my local dealer. It sounded good but I need to listen again for a longer period of time to get a true judge of it's tonal character?

Last edited:
They make better car stuff than HT stuff at the moment.

Their DVD player and HT Pre-Amp are notorious for sending out lemons more often than working equipment. At my previous employer we sold 7 of the Pre-Amps and all but 1 had to be replaced, and generally our customers had to wait around 4 months for their replacement.

The DVD player we sold 3 of, it never worked. My employer closed doors to the company before we ever had a working unit for a customer. We're talking about 10 months without Mark Levinson once fixing the product so it would WORK.

My thoughts are that Mark Levinson is a horrible company that has no idea how to deal with product they went to market with too quickly.

The fact that they get glowing reviews makes me want to puke. They sent out two products that didn't work, and last I knew still don't. The reviewers never update their reviews to say "The unit we got worked, however we are aware that most don't."

See my system (nsgarch #40) If you can get your hands on the "golden age" Levinson gear (20.6, 25s, 26s, 23.5, 27.5) you're in for an amazing experience. It is unbelievably QUIET, and unbelievably NOT solid state sounding. And yes, I've tried tube amplification (triode ARC M300s, very nice) but in Tucson AZ, it's nice if you can find a lush sounding SS amp like a 23.5.

Last edited:
Back