Marchel Ivery - Marchel's Mode

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebrof2000

Reaction score
Artist: Marchel Ivery
Title: Marchel’s Mode
Year of Release: 1996
Record Label: Leaning House Jazz
Genre: Classic Jazz

I purchased this disc at my local hifi shop about 10 years ago. I was impressed by the quality of the recording as well as the music. Most of it sounds like close mic’d stuff to me; i.e.: The artists playing together and no (or very little) post production.
There are a few of Ivery’s own songs, and covers of Coltrane, T. Monk, Cole Porter among others. If you like classic jazz you ought to give this one a listen. It’s fresh, lively, and the sound is very clean.
I pasted some info on Leaning House records, as well as a review I found online.
Enjoy,
Mike

Leaning House Records was started by Mark Elliott and Keith Foerster, two recent college graduates with a love for classic jazz to provide a voice for under-recognized artists in the South.
In its five year history, the company released ten albums and one book, garnered international acclaim, secured national distribution, and worked with several Grammy winning artists. In addition to showcasing the fine performances of some of the best artists in jazz, the label's releases have been prized by audiophiles because of their unique, realistic sound quality.
In May of 2000, Elliott and Foerster decided to pursue other ventures and found it necessary to cease operations

Dallas-based tenor saxophonist Marchel Ivery steps out here with a congenial rhythm section fronted by pianist Cedar Walton. This music follows the buddy system -- all smiles and swinging. A few snippets of studio chatter testify to the friendly atmosphere. Ivery reaches his apex on his own medium-tempo ballad "Jeannie's Song" (dedicated to Jeannie Donelly, co-owner of the Recovery Room in Dallas), where he brews a potent blend of bop and blues. The leader's own "Marchel's Mode" opens the session with the saxophonist jabbing phrases over Walton's insistent comping. Walton provides a soulful second solo voice while bassist Lyles West and drummer Ed Soph buoy the session. Soph earns MVP honors. In particular, the way he negotiates through the rhythmic switchbacks of "Escapade" is masterful. His work provides a solid foundation on which Ivery builds a notable session. ~ David Dupont, All Music Guide

"[Ivery's] music is a timeless jazz born in the bebop era and built on a blues inflection. No gimmicks, guffaws, or light shows. Marchel Ivery is old school.The clarity of the sound reflects a glorious date. Highly recommended." –ALLABOUTJAZZ.COM

Attachments

• Marchel's Mode.jpg
    Marchel's Mode.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 136
Cti

Sounds good. Will have to give it a listen. However, for those who know, and those who may not know, some of the best jazz recordings ever made on vinyl, and some great performances, were:bowdown: produced by CTI records. The CTI/KUDU label was the genius of Creed Taylor and legendary Rudy Van Gelder. From Eumir Deodato, George Benson, Grover Washington Jr. Freddie Hubbard, and Hubert Laws to name a few, the arrangements and orchestra conducted by Don Sebesky, was just absolutely incredible.
I wish someone like Dr. Aix, from AIX records, who specializes in high rez surround sound recordings, would do this catalog.

Interested, see CTIJAZZ.COM.

Back