Mains fuses advice required

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Osib

Reaction score
At the moment I have two Ben Duncan 10 way mains distribution blocks plugged into the wall sockets. All my hifi equipment is plugged into these distribution blocks.
I now have in my possession 8 solid copper blank fuses. I want to keep the normal fuses in the mains plug attached to the mains distribution blocks. I want to replace all the fuses in the mains plugs attached to the hifi equipment that are plugged into the distribution blocks with the copper blanks for further sound quality increase. Is this stupid or will I be ok here?

This sounds like GB power wiring rather than US power. So how does a fuse that is sized for the distribution block's maximum power protect any unit after you remove that unit's correctly sized fuse? If a unit has a problem then self-destructs do you think that the manufacture will cover the warranty? What happens with your insurance and legal liability if the house burns down or someone is injured? Why will one fuse change the sound?

This sounds like GB power wiring rather than US power. So how does a fuse that is sized for the distribution block's maximum power protect any unit after you remove that unit's correctly sized fuse? If a unit has a problem then self-destructs do you think that the manufacture will cover the warranty? What happens with your insurance and legal liability if the house burns down or someone is injured? Why will one fuse change the sound?

I've been informed by a professional that as long as all the equipment that is plugged into the mains distribution block doesn't exceed 13A then it should be okay to remove all equipment mains plug fuses that plug into it. Bear in mind that I'll be keeping the 13A fuse in the distribution block.

If I understand you correctly, you intend on keeping a 13 amp fuse in the distribution unit and removing the fuses from your audio equipment.

Suppose your preamp (or whatever) requires a 5 amp fuse (which you have replaced with a copper blank fuse) malfunctions. Seems to me that instead of blowing a 5 amp fuse, it will self destruct.

If I understand you correctly, you intend on keeping a 13 amp fuse in the distribution unit and removing the fuses from your audio equipment.

Suppose your preamp (or whatever) requires a 5 amp fuse (which you have replaced with a copper blank fuse) malfunctions. Seems to me that instead of blowing a 5 amp fuse, it will self destruct.

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm leaving the fuses in the actual equipment i.e. preamp, cd player etc. I'm just going to remove the fuses from all the equipment mains cable plugs. I'm going to keep the fuse in the distribution block plug.

In addition to the last post there are other considerations such as whether the equipment requires a slow-blow or fast-blow fuse.

Do fuses degrade the sound so much that it is worth risking equipment, home, and voiding your insurance? Will that same professional stand by you if there is a problem?

In addition to the last post there are other considerations such as whether the equipment requires a slow-blow or fast-blow fuse.

Do fuses degrade the sound so much that it is worth risking equipment, home, and voiding your insurance? Will that same professional stand by you if there is a problem?

I think there's a possibility that I'll be OK doing this. Basically the fuse in the mains plug is only there to stop the cable frying in the case of an electrical surge, the fuse in the hifi equipment is there to stop it frying. However I'm going to keep the fuses in the equipment to keep them safe. The fuse that is staying in the distribution board plug should keep the fuseless mains plugs already plugged into to it safe.

We seldom see fuses in plugs in the US, save for Christmas decorative light strings. But if a unit has a fuse, an identical fuse (current, voltage & time) in the plug is redundant. If the unit's line cord shorts, the distribution block's fuse will clear. A unit's internal fuse is chosen to clear under overload conditions, any reasonable fuse will clear a dead short.

HOLY SHIT!! I've just removed the fuses and replaced them with the solid copper blanks. The difference is definitely profound. The sound has become significantly more holographic. I'm not imagining this either. Images between and around the speakers are 30% more solid in the room now. I think the copper blanks are definitely for keeps.

Back