Main speakers.... Ascent i's or Odyssey?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolfin

Reaction score
So, I currently have Ascent i's, but found a guy that's selling a pair of Odyssey's $1200. If I were to get them, would my Ascent I's still be a better speaker? Looking at the specs, the odyssey's got a gen1 panel and front/rear drivers. Bass is not a problem in my HT because of my SVS ultra 2, so I'm just looking for opinions.

Just by looking at the numbers the Ascent i's look "better", but the Odessey's were 2 grand more retail and it's a bigger panel. I just don't know.

Thoughts?

First, Odyssey and Ascent have the same size panel.
'Ascenti' has a Gen 2 clear spar panel. I don't know what panels (Gen 1 or 2 depends on which year they were made) are in the Odysseys you mention for sale, but I would want a Gen 2 panel. Otoh, $1200 is a relative steal for Odysseys -- so what's wrong with them....?!

Last edited:
First, Odyssey and Ascent have the same size panel.
'Ascenti' has a Gen 2 clear spar panel. I don't know what panels (Gen 1 or 2 depends on which year they were made) are in the Odysseys you mention for sale, but I would want a Gen 2 panel. Otoh, $1200 is a relative steal for Odysseys -- so what's wrong with them....?!

Good call on the panel being the same size. I was in error. As to the condition of the speakers, I have not put eyes/ears on them as of yet. Part of me is trying to talk myself out of buying them as it would leave me with yet another pair of logans in my already "full of logans" house. :)

Odyssey and Ascent i do have the same size panel and there just isn't a lot of difference between them other than the size of the bass box, an extra woofer and the weight. And Odyssey has a lower crossover point and greater power handling ability. Ascent i has the gen 2 panel which theoretically is better, but I doubt you could tell any difference listening to the two. The main difference is that it may have a more durable electrostatic coating. Of course, if you replaced the panels on the Odyssey, you would get the benefit of the newer technology. My opinion is that you should keep your Ascents, as it just isn't much of an upgrade if any at all. Now if it were Prodigies, I would have a different opinion.

I will feed and exercise your Ascentis at our house -- and even pick them up for free as long as you need?

At least go look at the Odysseys. Later ones had Gen2 panels, so you never know. Report back your findings. I'm excited for you!

I wouldn't bother. Waste of time. Bass would be the only difference, and you are trading a pair of speakers you know for ones you don't.

As Rich said - if we were talking Prodigies then yes - go for it. But Odyssey - little point bothering.

Again given that u r running home theater.with sub I wouldn't do it. However.... I have odysseys and my brother has ascents. So I have a lot of experience between the two. The Odyssey gives better lower mids than the ascent. I find the ascents a little thin in comparison. But if u add a sub to the ascent or are doing ht not a big diff.

Latest posts

Back