Madeleine in Concert

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Robin, glad to hear you got great seats for the upcoming concert in your area. I look forward to your review after the show.....enjoy !!

Madeleine Peyroux In Concert...

Dave,

I am soooo looking forward to this. I should say we, my sis and I... It's gonna be spectacular. I hope she plays all of my favorites or even if she plays half the Perfect world of them I'll be happy. Heck I'll be happy anyway... :D Yes, I'll definitely give you all my review after mid February when we are scheduled to see her perform. :p It will be my total pleasure. :D The venue I'm see her perform at is excellent and smallish about 4,000 seats, which is cool and what's even cooler is that we will have a couple of the best seat in the house about fifty feet away from the stage. I can hardly wait, I'm so excited... :D

Madeleine Peyroux in Concert... Santa Rosa, California...

What a magical night of lovely music...

The concert’s opening act was marvelous jazz-folk guitarist and song-writer-performer Richard Julian. His lovely story songs were poignant as well as a lot of fun. His song dedicated to ‘Norton Anti-Virus Customer-Service Complaint Dept. was funny and made me laugh, just an excellent song. :D Richard Julian’s songs reminded me of an early Paul Simon. His latest album, “Slow New York” is one I will definitely own very soon. My sister almost bought this CD in the lobby after his performance. I advised her to wait, as I told her we can see all of his CD’s and make a more informed decision later. She begrudgingly agreed with me. She tends to be much more impulsive than I.

Madeleine Peyroux (pronounced ~ "Per-Roo") began her performance with her lovely tune “Blue Alert” after which in the time in between, a gentleman in the third row shouted–up to her, before she started playing the next song, “We can’t hear you very well.” Madeleine responded, “Wow, I thought that we were playing really loud.” “If it’s too loud I won’t be able to hear my bass player.” She laughed and said, “I could talk about this all night…” and played the next song, “A Little Bit”. After that song she motioned (hand signal) to her, Sound Engineer to turn-up the volume on everything… And OMG, Wow! what an improvement, the sound simply filled the room with glorious fullness and depth all at once. :clap: It was really amazing and fantastic all at the same time, like a vial had been removed, from a beautiful piece of art, like a re-moving a vial over an alabaster sculpture of Madeleine Peyroux.

Madeleine Peyroux’s voice is her greatest attribute, far and away but she is an excellent guitarist as well. She sang and played an acoustic guitar, which was the size and shape of a classical guitar, with an amplified pick-up added, for most all of the songs she performed. On just a few songs, like “Weary Blues” and “No More” she put down her guitar and just shared her wonderful voice. With other songs the band left and it was just Madeleine her voice and her guitar on stage like for the tunes, “La Javanaise” and “J'ai Deux Amours”. It was at during lovely times like this during the concert that I was most touched and moved.

By-the-way she is a beautiful woman, in addition to her beautiful voice, her physically appearance is simple natural beauty. She has long honey colored hair to the middle of her back and is much taller than my sister or I, probably 5’8”. And you guys - she has a lovely shapely figure as well. What I would call a beautiful woman, like my sister, except with more shapely hips, which my sister wishes she had as well. :p

On her albums, Madeleine Peyroux does feature brass – sax and horn back-up as well as soles. Her in-concert band did not feature any sax or horn musicians which was the only criticism. I would say adding brass would have really improved /added to her live performance. But, you know, in the end, the other members especially the lead guitarist and piano player more than made-up for the absence of any brass.

Miss Peyroux played all the tunes from her most current most popular album “Half A Perfect World” and also selected tunes like, “Dance Me To The End Of Love” and “J'ai Deux Amours” “Don’t Cry” and of course “Careless Love” from her Careless Love album. She played, “Muddy Water” from her Dreamland album.

Madeleine Peyroux’s back-up band was more like her family as they were in perfect synchronicity and had perfect timing. I must apologize, I don’t remember all their names but the piano player was true genus, producing stunningly beautiful music on ~ The Grand Piano, Hammond Organ or Key Board solos at will, which was truly music to my ears. The lead electrical guitarist gave just an astounding performance. The guy was gifted beyond anything I have experienced. BB King could learn a thing or two from this master guitarist. Rounding-out her inner circle was Lars (something), her fantabulous stand-up bass player. He gave several bass solo’s that left me awe-struck.

Madeleine Peyroux really gave a sumptuous jazz performance. My ears were in heaven shear heaven…. Madeleine Peyroux embodiment of beautiful, gloriously and smooth jazz at it’s very best. She delivered a fantastic jazz listening experience with deep feeling and passion for each wonderful jazz tune. This performance gave Santa Rosa, California ~ a lovely night of superlative jazz by the great Madeleine Peyroux and jazz band. This was a concert I will never forget. If you ever have the blessed opportunity / good fortune to experience a Madeleine Peyroux in concert you will be a fortunate as we were… :D

Attachments

• Madeleine Peyroux in Concert 3.jpg
    Madeleine Peyroux in Concert 3.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Madeleine Peyroux in Concert 5.jpg
    Madeleine Peyroux in Concert 5.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Madeleine Peyroux in Concert 7.jpg
    Madeleine Peyroux in Concert 7.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Madeleine Peyroux in Concert 8.jpg
    Madeleine Peyroux in Concert 8.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Madeleine Peyroux in Concert 6.jpg
    Madeleine Peyroux in Concert 6.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Nice review Robin, glad to hear you had a great time ! I think I may spin some of her stuff this weekend just to see if I can 'capture' any of the magic !!

What a magical night of lovely music...

The concert’s opening act was marvelous jazz-folk guitarist and song-writer-performer Richard Julian. His lovely story songs were poignant as well as a lot of fun. His song dedicated to ‘Norton Anti-Virus Customer-Service Complaint Dept. was funny and made me laugh, just an excellent song.

Madeleine Peyroux (pronounced ~ "Pi-Roo") began her performance with her lovely tune “Blue Alert” after which in the time in between, a gentleman in the third row shouted–up to her, before she started playing the next song, “We can’t hear you very well.” Madeleine responded, “Wow, I thought that we were playing really loud.” “If it’s too loud I won’t be able to hear my bass player.” She laughed and said, “I could talk about this all night…” and played the next song, “A Little Bit”. After that song she motioned (hand signal) to her, Sound Engineer to turn-up the volume on everything… And OMG, Wow! what an improvement, the sound simply filled the room with glorious fullness and depth all at once. :clap: It was really amazing and fantastic all at the same time, like a vial had been removed, from a beautiful piece of art, like a re-moving a vial over an alabaster sculpture of Madeleine Peyroux.

So what kind of guitars was she playing...look like Taylor's to me, but there are so many nice guitars out there and many of them have the same style to them...

Madeleine's Guitar...

Madeleine Peyroux’s voice is her greatest attribute, far and away but she is an excellent guitarist as well. She sang and played an acoustic guitar, which was the size and shape of a classical guitar, with an amplified pick-up added, for most all of the songs she performed. :D
James,

You know..., I am not sure what kinda guitar she used but it was small like a classical guitar body but with metal strings. It sounded great as well, although, on relection..., IMHO, the dreadnought sized acoustic guitar her opening act, Richard Julian used did sound much more fuller and had more body and tonal richness than Madeleine's little classical style acoustic guitar. It wasn't a detractor from the music or the concert but just something I remembered / noticed on reflection... :) Madeleine's little brown guitar is probably just much more comfortable for her to play. ;) She did stand the whole time during the concert or walk about in the area between the piano and the drummer. :band:

Back