Made in Kansas or China

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvj

Reaction score
Part of the criteria that influenced my decision to choose Martin Logan speakers was the "Made in Kansas" label... and I was a bit surprised to find the following statement on the new ML website:

----------------------------------------------------------------

"That does not mean we have walled ourselves off from what the rest of the world has to offer. We sample parts and subassemblies from vendors all over the globe, including companies in Europe, Asia, and the Americas. Whatever the product, our primary goal is to provide the highest performance possible – regardless of whether a crossover capacitor comes from Turkey or a cabinet substrate from Canada.

In fact, all our Design Series speakers are now built entirely in China and Taiwan R.O.C. This was a carefully considered decision based on the quality we knew we could obtain in those countries and the prices we felt we needed to achieve for these products."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder how long it will be before the management of ML decides to move the rest of the manufacturing jobs from Kansas to Taiwan or R.O.C. in order to improve profits ... or how long it will take for the ever industrious chinese to create knock-off products at a fraction of the price presently commanded by ML?

Just an idle comment... no need to start flaming me :eek:

No need to worry about flames. I too worry about the crossover assembly of my Vignettes. I hope they ship the crossovers to China or Taiwan fully assembled.

Martin Logan’s ESL series speakers are designed in the US (Kansas) and made in the US. The designer series are designed in the US and made over seas, so they can offer them to you (the consumer) at a friendlier price point.

Thats the way it's been, nothing has changed.

Zip3kx07 said:
Martin Logan’s ESL series speakers are designed in the US (Kansas) and made in the US. The designer series are designed in the US and made over seas, so they can offer them to you (the consumer) at a friendlier price point.

Thats the way it's been, nothing has changed.
Agreed 100%...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

They call Clarity a designer speaker on the web site. However it has an electrostatic panel. Was it made in Kansas or overseas. Is it or the next "designer" ESL moving overseas?

Joel

When I replaced the internal amp in the Summit the amp was labeled "made in China". I'm not surprised at all and that's actually a smart thing for a business to do in this day and age. It's incredible how many US goods are made in China these days. Even many components used to make Cary Audio products (the North Carolina based company) are made in China.

I doubt if any US audio/video company makes circuit board type products. It's all farmed out to China/Taiwan etc. Design and assembly is of course done in the US. Can you imagine how much products would cost if a company like ML did thier own electronic circuit manufacturing? They probably wouldn't be in the speaker business if they had to do that.

One thing that I really like about ML speakers in many cases the owner can replace parts if they become defective. This is a feature of very good design and engineering.

They are just doing what nearly every other US and foreign companies are doing and that is hiring foriegn companies to do what they do best at competitive prices. It's just smart business. I'm sure the price of a speaker would be much higher than they already are if ML actually manufactured components like this one in Kansas.

Attachments

• Summit Ice Power Amp.JPG
    Summit Ice Power Amp.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 2,055
Last edited:
jmschnur said:
They call Clarity a designer speaker on the web site. However it has an electrostatic panel. Was it made in Kansas or overseas. Is it or the next "designer" ESL moving overseas?

Joel
The clarity’s cabinet is the same one used on the mosaic and montage, I believe is made in china. I also believe the crossovers are made in china as well. The clarity’s ESL panel is made in Kansas and the clarity is assumable in the US.

If I am not mistaken.

Joe,

That makes a lot of sense. Keeping the main ESL buisness proprietary and subing out all else sould help profits and not hinder quality. Southeast asai does an excellent job on all electornics these days.

What do you mean by "assumable"

Joel

if martin logan needs to go to china for some of it's assembly in order to stay in business, then by all means, go to china! i want these guys around for a long time...

The whole point of Martin Logan’s “ATF” speakers was to offer a speaker that could be driven by a receiver, and offer it at a consumer friendly price. Building them in china was obviously was way to cut coasts and still keep quality up.

Joe

Does the Clarity fit that model-it's 1 ohm impedence at high frequencies would make it difficult for the standard receiver to drive.

Joel

The clarity is a 6 ohms load and can go as low as 1.1ohms. You can use a receiver but I would not recommend it. For one it would not do the speakers justice, and electrostatic speakers love current, receivers don’t put out a lot of current so an external or integrated amp would be best.

The mosaics, montage, fresco, Etc. Any of the ATF (Advanced Thin Film) speakers would be happy with a receiver, but an external amp can do wonders for them too.

Back