LX16 ( on its side ) as a center channel speaker ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom1315

Reaction score
I'm wondering about two things and hoping to receive advise and/or opinions on these matters:

1) I am currently running a 3.1 set up consisting of a pair of Motion 40s, an LX16 for a center channel speaker (on its side), and a Dynamo 700 ... with the idea of timbre matching, I've already ditched my Polk CS10 center speaker.
I'm sure that a Motion 30 would provide me with richer sound than the LX16, but ...

a) the LX16 ( dark cherry ... mmm :) matches the Motion 40s
b) the LX16 rests on a shelf that I designed, suspended from the "ceiling" of the armoire that serves as our entertainment center... I'm pretty sure the shelf could handle the extra 6 lbs (the Motion 30 weighs 18 lbs ), but ???
c) I can get a single LX16 from Amazon for $385 compared to $565 locally for the
Motion 30

The LX16 sounds much better than the Polk ever did ... My critical listening experience consists of classical music and opera blurays and DVDs and this is my primary focus (our living room layout doesn't allow for 2.1 channels - need to have the 40s spread out too far to try the "phantom center channel" approach) ...

my non-critical listening consists of iTunes and shuffling CDs ( and this sure sounded great running the 40s, both 16s - the other one is in the basement now - and the 700 in multi-channel stereo ).

Movies? Mostly streamed from netflix with the multi-channel process for the sound format ... the occasional bluray movie - I'm not too hyped about the "immersed" experience of 5.1 (although it's nice) compared to 3.1 - plus, my wife can only hear out of her right ear :-(

Would the Motion 30 add considerable depth to my critical music experience compared to the LX16, or would it be mostly an improvement for movies?

2) My other concern is whether or not my Marantz 5007 can handle the Motion 40s plus three more 4 or 5 ohm speakers ... when I was running the 40s, 16s, and the Polk, the Marantz would feel warm to the touch, but not hot.
Would one more ML speaker be asking too much of the 5007?

Any way you slice it though, I'm on board with the MartinLogan express, thanks in no small part to my son ... he came back on Thanksgiving break and mentioned to me that wanted some speakers instead of the iMac's internal ones - perfectly understandable ... so ... research speakers ... "I'm on it!"

A long-time Bose/Yamaha guy, I didn't know what I was missing.

Def Tech 45/55s, my old AVR and sub for James, and I'll zero in on those Monitor Audio bronze series towers ... let's go give 'em a listen ...

Well James now has a nice pair of Motion 15s, and I'm in a new kind of audio bliss (with a special shout out to my wife who didn't resist the whole idea too much :).

Anyway, thanks for reading ... any suggestions or opinions?

Welcome to the forum bud

As far as suggestions go I would add some amplification and maximize performance.

thanks for the welcome and suggestion PML ...

I looked into amplification today on the web ... wondering ...

Are there qualitative benefits relating to additional amplification?

As far as my volume goes, I usually have it set between 45% and 65% depending on the source and material.

Additionally, I have my Motion 40s bi-amped ... would that help with the amplification scenario?

Well with amplification your just going to have cleaner sound with more dynamics and slightly better channel separation. It is not needed with your speakers as the receiver will handle it fine for moderate volume levels but its good to have

Back