Low volume detail

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rynopr

What is required to get as much detail at low listening volumes as you do at higher volumes? Is it strictly the power of the amp--probably not I'm guessing?

A good preamp

A good pre-amp is required for low-volume in the sense that it should preserve the signal as close to original as possible. On this subject, think 1 gain-stage instead of multiple gain-stages and the number of components in the signal chain. Having more components in the signal chain only alter the signal from its original signature, thereby losing the fine details required for low-volume experience. The same principle applies to amplification as well, but a good pre-amp is the place to start.

I don't want to come off as funny or too serious - weigh my comments as you will.

If you want low level detail:

1. Wait until late at night so there is very little background noise (car traffic and such).

2. Turn off the lights, all the lights in the house.

3. Heck turn everything else off, the computer, unplug the refrigerator and so on.

4. Off hours listening when no one nearby is using power and mucking up the line (past mid-night).

5. Pull your chair closer to the speakers - it's called nearfield listening , it's alright we won't tell anyone you did it.

6. Make sure you were not recently rocking-out at high volumes or jack-hammering earlier that day.

You are now ready - go for it. :cool:

rynopr said:
What is required to get as much detail at low listening volumes as you do at higher volumes? Is it strictly the power of the amp--probably not I'm guessing?

Your system is only a good as its weakest link. A poor source, preamp, amp, connection, cable, etc. with all raise the noise floor (i.e., the softest sound your system can reproduce regardless of volume). Front-end first!

MLs are champs at low-volume detail...just add tubes.

Seriously, my Blue Circle BC28 (tube hybrid amp) makes low-volume listening incredibly full-bodied and detailed. Now that I write this, I realize that there is a difference between low volume detail, and low-volume body. For detail, I think your source is the likely suspect, and for body, well...tube amplification. I would say both body and detail are necessary for maximum low volume enjoyment.

Back