Lost 10db on one of my Odysseys

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TonT

Came back from my holidays, switched on my gear and my right channel was gone. Changed channels, cables, interconnects and powerleads. No change - it all indicates a problem with the right ML Odyssey. It seems the ESL is not getting (enough?) power - but the blue ML logo is lit and I measured a clean 220 volts at the powercable end... I can compensate using the balance on my setup (Denon AVC-A1SR) but obviously not a solution. Any fuses inside I can replace myself? I live in Asia - 2 hours flying from the nearest dealer.... The Odysseys are only a few months old and I did register for the 5 year warrantee... Any other suggestions?

Thanks

dont know if your model does but when I had a simular problem Jim at Martin Logan told me to check my Quests for a blown fuse, it is on the x-over board on mine, (my loss of sound however was due to a bad panel, and I bought new ones) yours could be a fuse as they are to new to have a bad panel ,and if it is it is waranteed!!! :cool:

Problem diagnosed

Got a few steps further - received this excellent advice from Jim Power:

QUOTE:
Since only one speaker has the symptom, let's start by simply swapping the back plate of the Odyssey from one speaker to the other. The back plate has the rear woofer attached but more importantly, it has the high voltage power supply circuit board attached. If the problem moves, then the HV power supply circuit board is apparently the cause.
If the problem stays with the same speaker, then we can go one step further. We can then swap the inner plate. The inner plate is accessed by removing the backplate. It also involves removing about 10 screws to remove it. There will also be a few simple wire connections to disconnect in order to swap. All connections are simple mechanical connections. You should not have to cut or unsolder anything. Just make sure that your match the colors to their original positions. Let me know what you find. If the problem moves when you move the inner plate, then the problem is indeed the audio transformer.
If the problem still remains with the same speaker cabinet in spite of swapping the inner plate, then it must be a defective electrostatic panel. The only way that the electrostatic panel may have this symptom is if it is either contaminated with a conductive material (such a spill on the front) or if one of the wires has broken free from the stator connections (rather unlikely).
I have attached text descriptions of the process

UNQUOTE

I found after swapping the backplates, the problem moved with it. So all thats left to do is get a new backplate (HV powersupply) from my dealer in Singapore! Attached is also a picture of the powersupply.

Attachments

• Removal of Odyssey back.zip
    3 KB · Views: 231
  • MLO_OEPF404b.JPG
    MLO_OEPF404b.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 1,421
TonT said:
Got a few steps further - received this excellent advice from Jim Power:

QUOTE:
Since only one speaker has the symptom, let's start by simply swapping the back plate of the Odyssey from one speaker to the other. The back plate has the rear woofer attached but more importantly, it has the high voltage power supply circuit board attached. If the problem moves, then the HV power supply circuit board is apparently the cause.
If the problem stays with the same speaker, then we can go one step further. We can then swap the inner plate. The inner plate is accessed by removing the backplate. It also involves removing about 10 screws to remove it. There will also be a few simple wire connections to disconnect in order to swap. All connections are simple mechanical connections. You should not have to cut or unsolder anything. Just make sure that your match the colors to their original positions. Let me know what you find. If the problem moves when you move the inner plate, then the problem is indeed the audio transformer.
If the problem still remains with the same speaker cabinet in spite of swapping the inner plate, then it must be a defective electrostatic panel. The only way that the electrostatic panel may have this symptom is if it is either contaminated with a conductive material (such a spill on the front) or if one of the wires has broken free from the stator connections (rather unlikely).
I have attached text descriptions of the process

UNQUOTE

I found after swapping the backplates, the problem moved with it. So all thats left to do is get a new backplate (HV powersupply) from my dealer in Singapore! Attached is also a picture of the powersupply.

Hello TonT: At the bottom of the HV powersupply plate, there is a connector with a yellow and red wire. Next to the connector, at the right, there are six 15 M resistors (brown, green, blue and gold). With the help of an ohm meter, check this resistors...normally one or two are open...replace the resistor(s) with another(s) with the same value...hope this can help! Happy listening,
Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Roberto,

Funny you should mention that. I had that particular problem with my Odyssey's also. Jim Power talked me through it on the phone and just as Ton T had to do I made the swap. Received the new board and installed it and voila back to normal. They've been great since then. The only regret I have is after opening up the back and removing the rear woofer and connections I saw how the speaker was assembled, it was kind of a let down? Maybe I was expecting more of a Wilson speaker type of build quality inside the cabinet.

Don't get me wrong I still love my Odyssey's, although listening tothe Summit didn't help either! :D

Statman said:
Roberto,

Funny you should mention that. I had that particular problem with my Odyssey's also. Jim Power talked me through it on the phone and just as Ton T had to do I made the swap. Received the new board and installed it and voila back to normal. They've been great since then. The only regret I have is after opening up the back and removing the rear woofer and connections I saw how the speaker was assembled, it was kind of a let down? Maybe I was expecting more of a Wilson speaker type of build quality inside the cabinet.

Don't get me wrong I still love my Odyssey's, although listening tothe Summit didn't help either! :D
Hola...well, mmmmmmmmm gee, I don´t know what to say...but IMHO I assure you that I have seeing a lot of the inside and the guts of many hi-end goods here at my workshop..and because of being hand made (Odisseys), this is a very good job. Don´t get me wrong, I know what you are saying...I like also everything neat, but very expensive to do it...very!...it demands a lot of more hand hours-work. I like a lot the quality of the parts and also, the solder joints are very good. This will assure great sound also...happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
great thread!!

I hope I never have that issue w/my Prodigy's...but thanks for the insight!!!

Pogue

Problem fixed

Received the new powersupply from Singapore today and installed it.

The speaker, in fact my whole system has never sounded this great!

Many thanks to Robert, Jim Power and Ivan Cheng, Norman Audio Pte Ltd in Singapore.

TonT said:

Many thanks to Robert, Jim Power and Ivan Cheng, Norman Audio Pte Ltd in Singapore.

Hi TonT,

Congratulation !!! I know how you feel, mate. And thank you for sharing your valuable experience with us.

Regards, Transpa. (proud owner of the ML Odysseys)

TonT said:

Hola TonT...congratulations with your new and improoved sound. It is good to know that everything is just working as it should...happy listening, trust your ears!
Warm regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

my turn!!!

My Odysseys are now having the same problem.....I have been putting curtains, absorbers to ensure a symmetrical environment as I found my sound stage (mid and treble) bias to the left. At first I wondered if it was the YBA pre-power as the analogue volume controls are notorious for having balance issues. On checking, the pre I was using had a digital volume control so it couldn't be the pre-power, checked my modded-Chinese DAC, checked the source. Finally I carried the heavy speakers myself and switch the positions and to my disappointment, the problem followed! Been only a year since I got my new panels!!

Been assured to panel change, not sure if it is a board issue and it appears more like a gradual weakening sound problem. Really disappointed.....if you can imagine an enthusiasm level dropping from top to bottom and deeper negative!!!

I hope I never have that issue w/my Prodigy's...but thanks for the insight!!!

Pogue

ROGER THAT! I am in there with you! I'd HATE to have to take those bad boys apart! Mine are quite a few years old though so I suspect I would have seen this already if it were going to happen! Knocking on wood as I type this!

Latest posts

Back